• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chew 9.9 or 10.0?

340 posts in this topic

you need to give yours heads a shake though...$2,000 for a 5 year old book??? :screwy:

I don't know, pretty sure WD 1 will be the TMNT 1 of the MA

With 250+ slabs of WD #1 at 9.6 or above, and more being added with each census update, it's kinda hard to see this happening. One of the main reasons that TMNT 1, Cerebus 1, Bone 1, etc command such insane prices in high grades is because they all had small print runs, there's nowhere near enough HG copies to satisfy the demand, and they all came out prior to the existence of CGC (so no straight-from-the-rack-to-CGC copies like we see today).

That just isn't the case for WD #1.

Forgive me for not knowing Mike, but what are the rough print runs for TMNT 1, Cerebus 1, Bone 1? Walking Dead #1 didn't exactly have a GIANT print run.....

All 3 of those (though I'm unsure of Cerebus) had a print run of around 3,000, I believe. WD #1 was around 7,000, I think.

I think you're right on the money with Bone & TMNT, but, afaik, Cerebus #1 had a print run of just 2000 and a rumored 400 of those copies were given out by Dave Sim to places like libraries, schools, dentist offices, etc.

It's also worth mentioning that Bone, Cerebus, and TMNT were all essentially self-published in the beginning, which meant that a lot of comic book stores never ordered any of the early issues.

Cool, thanks for confirming those numbers Michael, so WD #1 is certainly not as rare as any of those, but could still prove to be a very important book down the line :)

How do you reply and have the post you are replying to in your post? I keep replying to comments 3 pages ago with no reference.

Click the 'quote' button (thumbs u

How do you reply and have the post you are replying to in your post? I keep replying to comments 3 pages ago with no reference.

Click the 'quote' button (thumbs u

Thanks!!

you need to give yours heads a shake though...$2,000 for a 5 year old book??? :screwy:

With 250+ slabs of WD #1 at 9.6 or above, and more being added with each census update, it's kinda hard to see this happening. One of the main reasons that TMNT 1, Cerebus 1, Bone 1, etc command such insane prices in high grades is because they all had small print runs, there's nowhere near enough HG copies to satisfy the demand, and they all came out prior to the existence of CGC (so no straight-from-the-rack-to-CGC copies like we see today).

Forgive me for not knowing Mike, but what are the rough print runs for TMNT 1, Cerebus 1, Bone 1? Walking Dead #1 didn't exactly have a GIANT print run.....

All 3 of those (though I'm unsure of Cerebus) had a print run of around 3,000, I believe. WD #1 was around 7,000, I think.

I think you're right on the money with Bone & TMNT, but, afaik, Cerebus #1 had a print run of just 2000 and a rumored 400 of those copies were given out by Dave Sim to places like libraries, schools, dentist offices, etc.

It's also worth mentioning that Bone, Cerebus, and TMNT were all essentially self-published in the beginning, which meant that a lot of comic book stores never ordered any of the early issues.

Cool, thanks for confirming those numbers Michael, so WD #1 is certainly not as rare as any of those, but could still prove to be a very important book down the line :)

No, I agree completely - I don't doubt that WD #1 is going to be considered a modern key. It's an awesome book, and has already proved its long-time worth (thumbs u

No, I agree completely - I don't doubt that WD #1 is going to be considered a modern key. It's an awesome book, and has already proved its long-time worth (thumbs u

Is 5 years long enough to prove it's long time worth? I admit I only recently started reading comics other than superheros but there are a number of series that lasted the better part of ten years and then fizzled.

And I'm trying not to let my baby girl coming (in the next week) weigh in on my decision. Could end up paying for college!!

trying to play it safe won't get you anywhere!

j

Great minds think alike

The other important aspect of the Cerebus #1, TMNT #1, and Bone #1 that each shares and helps keep prices sky high is that the cover colors are at least half black (don't know what the back covers look like for the Cerebus or TMNT, but the B #1 is 95% dark). It's almost a right of passage. ;)

And I'm trying not to let my baby girl coming (in the next week) weigh in on my decision. Could end up paying for college!!

j

Great minds think alike

i see you are into ennis' crossed series as well...

good choice! good choice!

i get all the retailer incentive covers from avatar directly.

j

hey...i recognise your user name. didn't you come to my house once and buy a NYX # 1 at 9.8???

j

Great minds think alike

i see you are into ennis' crossed series as well...

good choice! good choice!

i get all the retailer incentive covers from avatar directly.

j

I'd like to get all covers graded for my collection. Great series. I'm trying to find the 9.9 of #0. I was just oing over the Avatar site to see which variants I'm missing.

hey...i recognise your user name. didn't you come to my house once and buy a NYX # 1 at 9.8???

Burlington? NYX #3?

Burlington? NYX #3?

Hi Jeff :hi:

Burlington? NYX #3?

Hi Jeff :hi:

Ok - not fair. I could drive your house but I suck with names. Were'nt you trying to get a group together to buy direct from Diamond?