• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA books & PGX

45 posts in this topic

The CGC-PGX comparison is like comparing a Honda to a Chevy. Both could and sometimes do, have problems, but the Chevy has more. Both are legit companies doing "their business model" to the best of their ability (I hope) in keeping with their business model. Is one better? Darn straight. Is one a crook? No.

You go with what you can afford and live with the standard and consequences of what you can afford. PGX is a whole lot faster, has better slabs and is a whole lot cheaper. Many folks on Ebay and other places only care about the book being slabbed. The members of this forum are mostly hard core collectors, but there are many many more casual collectors "out there", who just want the label.

If you don't want PGX graded books, don't buy them. It is real simple. Those that use PGX are not trying to pull one over on you usually (there are those that use CGC to do frauds also), because by now they surely know that most of us know that potential game. They use PGX because the price is right and the service is quicker. Are there gift grades from both companies? Yes, no doubt. Are there bad grading by both companies? Yes, no doubt. Is either company incompetent? Yes, both at times. PGX more often, but as I said. You get what you pay for. Don't like them, don't use them or buy their work.

Having said that, I only buy CGC books from now on, or raw and submit to CGC when I want them slabbed. But let the "right rare book" come along in a PGX slab and I will go for it without more than a very very slight hesitation. I have been taken more times by raw books over the internet, than I have been by PGX books over the internet.

Whatever happened to the old standard saying everyone here likes to throw around: Buy the book, not the label.

I just went to the PGX web site for the first time in over a year. I wanted to look up how to remove a book from one of their holders.

I noticed that they now have a Signature Series. It states to find out who is a witness for them, you have to contact them via email or phone. Anyone know anyone who is a PGX witness? Not looking for one, just curious.

Their SS label is Silver Chrome in color. Doesn't look near as good as a yellow label. Always liked yellow myself. I go for yellow covers a lot.