• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hmmm, should our Playboy's and Sports Illustrateds go in this forum for now?

67 posts in this topic

My submissions finally arrived. :acclaim:

v2 #11 November 1955 Universal 9.0 WHITE

Reynolds Lownes Mario Gold Mead

Kessie Turner & Straparola text

pictorial Jonathan Winters article & pictorial. Barbara Cameron centerfold. Gina Lollobrigida

Playboy0001.jpg

Playboy v2 #10 October 1955 Universal 7.5 WHITE

Thorne Smith Jay Smith Anson Mount

Thomas Mario & James Jones text

Jonnie Nicely & Anita Ekberg pictorials. Jean Moorehead centerfold. College issue.

Playboy0002.jpg

v1 #2 January 1954 Universal 7.0 WHITE

Max Shulman John Collier & M.S. Miller text

James Montgomery Flagg & Milton Caniff art

""Sherlock Holmes"" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Margie Harrison centerfold. Bob Hope article

Playboy0004.jpg

v2 #7 July 1955 Universal 9.2 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Michael Arlen Ray Russell Jay Smith

Herbert Gold Rolf Malcolm & Jack J. Kessie text

Jack Cole ""Man About the Beach"" art pictorial. Janet Pilgrim centerfold. Tempest Storm pictorial

Playboy0005.jpg

v2 #9 September 1955 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 9.2

Maugham Lavely Sheckley Mead

Smith Robinson Franklin & Mario text

pulp magazine pictorial Sammy Davis Jr. article. Anne Fleming centerfold. Marilyn Monroe cover

playboy60001.jpg

I'm glad you were able to grab the book at that price, but I'm a little disappointed there wasn't more interest in a 9.6 Sports Illustrated.

Do you guys think that SI and Playboy interest will escalate from this point, or do you think that the market is too small to see a lot of high closing prices for books...

My biggest reason for concern is if sellers don't make a lot of money on their initial offerings, then they will have no motivation to have future issues graded (ie., future issues that people WOULD pay more money for).

I'm using it as a vehicle to get a lot of Playboy SS. I would get SI signed also but sigs are so expensive for most sports starts.

I'm not sure if the big playboy/SI collectors know/care about CGC. Would be cool to ask some of them.

I'm glad you were able to grab the book at that price, but I'm a little disappointed there wasn't more interest in a 9.6 Sports Illustrated.

Do you guys think that SI and Playboy interest will escalate from this point, or do you think that the market is too small to see a lot of high closing prices for books...

My biggest reason for concern is if sellers don't make a lot of money on their initial offerings, then they will have no motivation to have future issues graded (ie., future issues that people WOULD pay more money for).

I don't follow the magazine market at all. Maybe there is no big demand for common issue Sports Illustrateds?

I just bought this one because my cousin loves Mickey Mantle, so I figured it would be a cool Christmas present.

I just picked up some sports illustrated on the bay all in real nice condition w/ot the labels including this 9.6 from ivegotneatstuff... Some of the other titles include Nolan Ryans first ever Terry Bradsahws first cover, Chritie Brinkley, Kirk Gibson, Ali, Death Of Earnhardt, and several other first timers on SI... I think this is really going to catch on but just a hunch... Regardless I couldnt be more happier w/ the #1 from Ivegotneatstuff...

sportsillustrated96.jpg

I just picked up some sports illustrated on the bay all in real nice condition w/ot the labels including this 9.6 from ivegotneatstuff... Some of the other titles include Nolan Ryans first ever Terry Bradsahws first cover, Chritie Brinkley, Kirk Gibson, Ali, Death Of Earnhardt, and several other first timers on SI... I think this is really going to catch on but just a hunch... Regardless I couldnt be more happier w/ the #1 from Ivegotneatstuff...

sportsillustrated96.jpg

Nice book!

I hope you're right about the SI's catching on. There are a lot of books I would like to own in high grade.

sportsillustrated96.jpg

Truly, BCruze is a man with impeccable taste and of high intelligence! :banana:

Someone wisely suggested I check the Magazine forum (sadly I have scolled past this many a time and not stopped). I just purchases about a dozen early playboys in the realm of mid-gradeish. Volumes range from 2 through 6, but I do not know where to look to get an idea of value. Any suggestions? Pic below is pretty representative of the shape they are in...

zplay.jpg

Someone wisely suggested I check the Magazine forum (sadly I have scolled past this many a time and not stopped). I just purchases about a dozen early playboys in the realm of mid-gradeish. Volumes range from 2 through 6, but I do not know where to look to get an idea of value. Any suggestions? Pic below is pretty representative of the shape they are in...

zplay.jpg

Those show up on eBay from time to time, so that's probably a good place to get a sense of Fair Market Value.

Too bad you don't have #1!