• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Knights Fantastic Four is the worst comic I have ever read.

10 posts in this topic

Ok So I havent read thw whole thing but the preview for it in the latest Wizard made me sick.

It was horrible. I think it is obvious now why Marvel rehired Mark Waid. If we would of been forced to read the [!@#%^&^] that will be printed in Marvel Knights Fantastic Four, printed in the regular comic series We would of all canceled our subscriptions and stopped readinf FF tottaly.

I've never been so bored reading a comicbook.

Mark Waid is a genius.This new guy on the other hand couldn't write himself out of a paperbag. This is not the Fantastic four that this guy is writting. It's [!@#%^&^].

I was gonna give it a chance, I already have the issue on my subscription list. After reading the preview though, I will have to remove it.

I will not pay for rotting meat, when I can have Mark Waid make me a delicious steak.

That is all. sign-rantpost.gif

I had the opposite reaction.

I had no interest in buying the Marvel Knights "4" issue until I read the preview in Wizard magazine, now I plan to pick it up. I was very impressed with Steve McNiven's artwork and I thought that the writer had done a decent job with the characters and their daily lives as opposed to the situational aspects of superhero comics.

I'm quite happy to see Waid and Wieringo back on the main title though, as these guys have nailed down every aspect of the Fantastic Four - from the personalities of the individual characters to the premise of the book itself (exploring the unknown). Waid's a hit-or-miss writer for me and while I think he's mostly hit the mark for me on FF, I don't think he really succeeded with his version of Dr. Doom - he worked to hard to emphasize Doom was evil, and I think he made Doom a pettier villain than he was before.

What it comes down to it, in my opinion:

Waid's "Fantastic Four" is a great superhero comic.

Marvel Knights "4" is a great template for movie characters, but it's not really a superhero comic. It might appeal to people who read, say, Strangers in Paradise (or McNiven's old title - Crossgen's Meridian). I could see "4" having more of an appeal to women. That's not to say that it's bad, it's just different.

Ultimate Fantastic Four. Read OK, but like all the Ultimate titles this was written to be a TP collection. Part 1 was hardly even the setup, as Reed is barely a teenager and we've got years to cover before they get to the point where they get their powers. One thing going for it is that Reed is a bit more than the "smart, older guy" that he's always been in comics, he's now got a past and ties to people and places that he never really had in the Marvel Universe title. And that Ben Grimm was the type of son that Reed's father wanted instead of Reed, while Reed is the kid brother that Ben didn't have. An interesting dynamic and explains the basis for their friendship in later years/

Kev.

I agree completely. I read the preview in the new Wizard magazine (which is the full comic or close to it) and it is horrible. The artwork is a retarded copy of Travis Charest and the writing is laughable...dumb plot, poor dialogue, lame action... while I was reading it, I was wondering how Joe Quesada allowed this to be published....nothing against people who like this book, but I thought it was a train wreck.

Actually, I found it to be a cross between Charest and Cassaday. And seeing as how I like both of their work, I had no problem with McNiven's art. He's been doing a great job for years on Crossgen's Meridian, and I thought he did a nice job with the individual characters. I'd rather see more artists like McNiven than whoever that guy is who draws Human Torch for the Tsunami line, or Humberto Ramos on Spectacular Spider-Man.

I still like Phil Jimenez's artwork, even though it's pretty obvious that his style is heavily influenced by George Perez. On that note, I like Perez, so why wouldn't I like Jimenez?

"4" struck me as Fantastic Four without the action. It's like someone took the character sequences from a string of individual issues of FF from any time period and strung them together while cutting out the action bits. What I liked about it was the sense that the FF lived and worked in NYC, as opposed to generic city USA.

I'm not saying that this is excellent, it's just not horrible as some of you are making it out to be. Maybe it's merely adequate, time will tell.

I'm definitely glad that Waid and Wieringo are back, as there was no justification for them to be let go in favor of what we are seeing as "4", but "4" is still good enough to merit publication (it fits alongside other Marvel titles like Runaways, Captain America, etc.). I still say "4" is a good entry level book for the characters, while "Fantastic Four" (Waid & Wieringo) is solid superhero fare.

Fantastic Four is widescreen action, "4" is widescreen superhero drama.

Kev

Actually, I found it to be a cross between Charest and Cassaday. And seeing as how I like both of their work, I had no problem with McNiven's art. He's been doing a great job for years on Crossgen's Meridian, and I thought he did a nice job with the individual characters. I'd rather see more artists like McNiven than whoever that guy is who draws Human Torch for the Tsunami line, or Humberto Ramos on Spectacular Spider-Man.

Not trying to hijack the thread....

People can say what they want about the quality of CG's stories but they had the best stable of artists working in comics today. To include McNiven, Jim Chueng, Greg Land, and especially (considering his previous Marvel work) Brandon Petersen really made CG artwork worth looking at....

Jim

Right on with the Crossgen art thumbsup2.gif unfortunately it was not enough to keep me as a loyal reader/buyer...

Nope.....but the upside is now we get to see them draw more mainstream characters. smile.gif

Jim

The marvel knights version of FF was silly. It seems contrived and poorly written. It covers ground already covered, and frankly, a far stretch. It turns what are supposedly "everyday" problems into a comic? If I wanted that, I'd stay at work longer.

The artwork is okay... I'm not a huge fan, but I don't think it's bad or anything...

This is just another example of a book I see no reason to buy.

Well, if I had never seen Travis Charest's work, I'd think the art was pretty good, but there are just too many poses that seem almost COPIED from Charest's work....like the blank stare of Sue Storm on the last page. I think the main problem was the story though and how absurd it was, as well as filled with many cliches, both in the premise and the actual writing. I can't see that this will sell well, but I guess time will tell.

If you would like me to change your choice, just let me know and I will send you a copy of Psycho Hunter #2, by my buddy Ju Gomez...

It'll have you believing this Marvel Knights book belongs in the Smithsonian...