• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Norman Osborn at it Again (Spoilers)

52 posts in this topic

While we are on topic why is Amazing Spider-man 122 worth money, if the Green Goblin is alive?

Because ASM 122 is a classic, and no amount of modern day douchebaggery is going to change that.

While we are on topic why is Amazing Spider-man 122 worth money, if the Green Goblin is alive?

Because ASM 122 is a classic, and no amount of modern day douchebaggery is going to change that.

+1 That is like asking why anyone reads "The Three Musketeers" since it got all gheyed up by that Disney movie with Chris O'Donnell and the fat guy from Lake Placid.

^^

-slym

reminds me of Crisis 8 Barry Allen and Captain America 25.

+1

Oh wait... doh!

er..

Ditto.

I'm enjoying the current series. It's fun. Sure, it feels like a soap opera, but that's comics. I've read Spidey off and on for years, and to me, it's certainly good enough to be reading. I don't think you can sum up the current arc or recent events with just a line or two. Modern comics are darker then in ages past. So what. It's a different audience.

I don't have a problem with darker subject matter, but I do have a problem with taking a classic story and pizzing all over it. Gwen having sex with Norman, then having those kids in secret, is a both twisted and pathetic in the context of the originals.

Since Peter is no longer married, how about he and Harry hook up and get legally married in Canada? Oops, I think I just gave away a spoiler for issue 700, which will be out in a few months, according to the new bi-daily release scedule.

Sorry, Capt. America # 25 doesn't belong in the same group as classics like ASM # 122 and COIE # 8. If the "magic gun" rumor is true, it's even worse, and belongs with the current ASM and Joe Q's pathetic "It's magic, we don't have to explain it." response.

I'm enjoying the current series. It's fun. Sure, it feels like a soap opera, but that's comics. I've read Spidey off and on for years, and to me, it's certainly good enough to be reading. I don't think you can sum up the current arc or recent events with just a line or two. Modern comics are darker then in ages past. So what. It's a different audience.

And smaller audience. Way smaller.

ASM #59, April 1967 (avg): 587,213 printed, and 361,663 paid circulation.

ASM #574, Dec 2008 (avg): 125,019 printed, and 105,948 paid circulation.

US population in 1967: 198,712,000

US population in 2008: 303,824,640

If the paid circulation increased in proportion to population, imagine what the sales figures of today could be...

Sorry, Capt. America # 25 doesn't belong in the same group as classics like ASM # 122 and COIE # 8. If the "magic gun" rumor is true, it's even worse, and belongs with the current ASM and Joe Q's pathetic "It's magic, we don't have to explain it." response.

I thought Captain America 25 was way overated,I couldn`t see what the fuss was about. It likes thats how desperate they are for stories,they have to kill off the main character?

I don't have a problem with darker subject matter, but I do have a problem with taking a classic story and pizzing all over it. Gwen having sex with Norman, then having those kids in secret, is a both twisted and pathetic in the context of the originals.

Since Peter is no longer married, how about he and Harry hook up and get legally married in Canada? Oops, I think I just gave away a spoiler for issue 700, which will be out in a few months, according to the new bi-daily release scedule.

:applause:

I agree with everything you've said in this thread except for Spidey being unreadable since 400. Granted, there have been no long stretches of greatness, but I have enjoyed the book since brand new day. Not the impetus for it, which was retarded, but the stand alone stories since then, the artwork and the general direction of the book. Also, as someone who always picked up all three Spidey monthlies, no matter what they were titled, I actually like them all being under the Amazing umbrella, at three weeks out of four.

Everything you guys are saying here, I agree with, down to getting rid of Joe Q. but I have enjoyed the book, as a whole, for the past few years.