• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

In my sale thread, I put in "the first :takeit: posted publicly takes precedence, although PM offers are accepted."

Now, if someone actually wanted my tat.....

-slym (it's now on page 2) :whistle:

I don't put up any rules.

I'm just trying to avoid any confusion. I think clarity helps, especially since I'm a noob here.

Again, if someone actually wanted anything, that is.....

-slym ( lol )

The job of noobs in the marketplace should be to maintain confusion and avoid clarity..., :sumo:

Seriously though, I appreciate those sellers here who consider PMs as a placeholder for books under negotiation. I have to buy big books on time payments, so need to PM the seller first as a courtesy.

I use the same principle when I sell. I would rather sell to a collector on time payments, than to a deep-pocketed flipper any day.

And yes, I wish that I would have even one buyer at times...., let alone two for the same item..., :blush:

In my sale thread, I put in "the first :takeit: posted publicly takes precedence, although PM offers are accepted."

I'm just trying to avoid any confusion. I think clarity helps, especially since I'm a noob here.

-slym ( lol )

The job of noobs in the marketplace should be to maintain confusion and avoid clarity..., :sumo:

Seriously though, I appreciate those sellers here who consider PMs as a placeholder for books under negotiation. I have to buy big books on time payments, so need to PM the seller first as a courtesy.

I use the same principle when I sell. I would rather sell to a collector on time payments, than to a deep-pocketed flipper any day.

And yes, I wish that I would have even one buyer at times...., let alone two for the same item..., :blush:

I agree. That's how I list my sales threads. Not everyone has a lot of spare cash to spend on a book at once and people should have the right to work a deal in private.

-slym ( lol )

Let me clarify: I wouldn't ignore a PM offer for hours (or even minutes) trying to get the better price - that's just being a mile (it's Yiddish.) But if it happens that, say, someone PM's me in the AM when I'm not here, and within a few minutes of that PM someone else says "I'll take it!" publicly, the public offer wins. However, if someone PMs for a book while I'm here, I would certainly edit the thread to say that book is on hold, or something of the sort. Just in light of this latest fiasco, I think my line covers my pretty well.

;)

-slym (knows this will still be taken wrongly somehow...)

Edited by slym2none

-slym ( lol )

Let me clarify: I wouldn't ignore a PM offer for hours (or even minutes) trying to get the better price - that's just being a mile (it's Yiddish.) But if it happens that, say, someone PM's me in the AM when I'm not here, and within a few minutes of that PM someone else says "I'll take it!" publicly, the public offer wins. However, if someone PMs for a book while I'm here, I would certainly edit the thread to say that book is on hold, or something of the sort. Just in light of this latest fiasco, I think my line covers my pretty well.

;)

-slym (knows this will still be taken wrongly somehow...)

Resist the urge to just be a CYA'er - your just bowing to peer pressure, from the panties-in-wad-posse, no less.

It's ok to be your own person here - that's why the rulz don't cover this stuff..., although the PIWPs frequently insist that there should be rulz that do.

I've got your back..., :sumo:

I wouldn't be here if I couldn't be myself. Most of my posts prove that so far...

:eek:lol (thumbs u

And as I said before, it's about clarity - if clarity covers my butt in this, then so be it.

-slym

(shrug) Let us all know

I just wanted to post here to let everyone know that I consider this issue to be resolved. I have had some heart-to-heart PM's with Mike, and we both agree that there were some significant mis-understandings in the way things went down.

I am cool with Mike, and I wish him the best in the future (thumbs u

(shrug) Let us all know

I just wanted to post here to let everyone know that I consider this issue to be resolved. I have had some heart-to-heart PM's with Mike, and we both agree that there were some significant mis-understandings in the way things went down.

I am cool with Mike, and I wish him the best in the future (thumbs u

Glad things worked out. (now go buy my Famous Funnies... :baiting: )

Brian

Exactly, the book is rightfully and truly mine.

rangers 26 is pennynike's. seller has to cowboy-up and tell the p.m.'er "sorry, but rules are rules." p.m.'er could have simply hit the bin like 'nike did.

this will be extremely poor form on the seller's part if alex doesn't get this book. mods should bar him from selling.

Billy,

I would hope you would read through all the information prior to making your final judgment on this. I feel I did the right thing. If you disagree and feel I should be banned from selling, I think that is unfortunate and disheartening as I do not wish to see myself painted as some villain or shady individual.

Mike

i in fact have read it mike; the bottom-line is that once a person is told via pm that a book is sold, it is not cool to get on the sales thread and post the i'll take it. with everything disclosed now, gotta say you're in good shape. that info wasn't available when i posted hours ago.

i will say that i have always understood [both as a buyer and seller] that the "i'll take it trumps" means it needs to be on the thread--otherwise, how does one know? it seems to allow for a hornet's nest if pm "i'll take its" equate to the ones on the thread. i realize lots of people think the other way, and that's cool. i'll always understand if i don't get a book because someone put the i'll take it up before i could get up a "i'll take it per pm." i think that's the best practices way to do it, and the way that's likeliest to not create these kinds of problems.

This is my exit post for the nite and then I'm going to go screw myself into the ground...

Are you fracking kidding me? Has the whole boards/marketplace gone on tilt recently? Does anybody have a fracking clue as to the general way it works around here?? You post a book/books...unless stated explicitly one way or the other PMs are clock-bound viable and in anyway shape or form bump a thread :takeit:

But Mr. Parker...read the thread, the hyperactive would-be buyer didn't even have a claim by his I'll Take It post rendered meaningless (and frankly at that point an outright deceitful and extortionate act)...I've never seen a more moronic posting in this forum than since I've arrived...UFB! :boo:

My apologies as a member to hockey&comicsguy! (thumbs u

But Mr. Parker...read the thread, the hyperactive would-be buyer didn't even have a claim by his I'll Take It post rendered meaningless (and frankly at that point an outright deceitful and extortionate act)...I've never seen a more moronic posting in this forum than since I've arrived...UFB! :boo:

That is one incredibly stupid post. There was nothing deceitful in my purchasing this book. In fact, hockey contacted me about purchasing the book after having posted it in his thread, and I was agreeable to purchase after verifying staple quality. What a terrible night...

:sumo: A BUMP OF THE2/24/09 PROBATION UPDATE :sumo:

The following Forum Members are currently on "probation" for failure to complete a transaction in good faith after one month's time:

aaron568

(added 11/6/08)

bronzejunkie

(added 3/26/07)

clobberintime

(added 11/7/07)

comicmankev

(added 3/27/07)

ComicSupply

(added 10/28/08 - 3rd "Hall of Shame" Member)

DarkKnight2K4

(added 4/24/08)

Dbostejano

(added 10/12/08)

donavan74

(added 3/27/07)

Ghastly

(added by majority vote 12/3/07)

gilbertotorres

(added 11/5/08 - 2nd "Hall of Shame" Member)

Henchman

(added 4/25/08)

Herald2Galactus

(Inaugural Member & 1st "Hall of Shame" Member)

Jmarch51

(added 2/14/08)

Lighthouse

(added 6/13/07)

Marc Wolfe

(added 9/15/08)

matewan1990

(added 3/3/08)

mjacobs8

(added 1/24/09)

Nascar

(added 6/2/07)

NEXTLVL

(added 10/12/08)

rza808

(added 12/29/08)

Sid

(added 8/8/07)

SIXX_VAN_ROSE

(added 11/7/08)

SpiderJay300

(added 9/15/07)

Superman20

(added 12/18/07)

THATONEGUY

(added 1/11/08)

Needs a list of his own:

AlleyBat

(added 5/23/08)

$4000.00 scam!!! :sumo:

I met alleybat at MegaCon. What a teeny tiny scrawny weaselly excuse of a man.

Alex,

Let me think about it. I have a buyer at my asking price but he needs 2 weeks to pay. If I can sell enough here in the next day or two I may end up pulling the book altogether and keeping it.

Thanks,

Mike

Alex,

No, the staple isn't rusty. It's just a darker staple.

I am awaiting a confirmation PM from the other party. The book may be sold at ask, I will know shortly.

If it has not sold I will let you know.

Thanks,

Mike

Based on this PM exchange, one could argue that the book was still up for grabs to everyone in the marketplace except Pennynike.

Since we can not see the PM exchange between the other buyer and the seller, we can't be sure, but it would appear that a deal had not been finalized, and the sellers post in the PM said that the "I'll Take it trumps" . To me this would mean that the book was still up for grabs untill an unconditional "I'll Take it" was posted.

However, since Pennynike was told specifically, "I am awaiting a confirmation PM from the other party. The book made be sold at ask, I will know shortly." It could be said that he was directly eliminated from the running untill the other buyer responded.

I don't see an issue here! The seller has done nothing wrong IMO.

That's the way I read it. The emails seem to exonorate the seller.

Oops. Seems I'm late to the party.

Edited by whomerjay

:popcorn:

I am suprised jim called him a "man" at all lol

Sorry I missed him. Would have been a good chance to say "hi" and put my old collecting skills to the test.

Needs a list of his own:

AlleyBat

(added 5/23/08)

$4000.00 scam!!! :sumo:

:o

Did he actually come out and tell you who he was? Or had you known him prior to the big scam? In any event: WOW.

Hopefully this will be the last word on this and we can all move on.

From pennymike's perspective, he believed he was in the right and he went with that notion. I don't blame him for that nor for his frustration over the situation. Who hasn't been a little cross-eyed before over missing out an a must have book. I just wish we could have resolved this privately so as to not shed a negative light on anyone.

I think a couple of valuable lessons can be learned from this. For my part, 2 things. First, take more time to be crystal clear about sales threads, so there is no room for misinterpretation. Secondly, that there is probably nothing that cannot be worked out if 2 people are willing to remain calm and professional with one another. And it never hurts to be able to see things from the other person's perspective. You don't have to agree with it. But that bit of understanding can do wonders for how you approach the situation.

As mentioned earlier, we have done business in the past without so much as a hiccup. I received an apology from him and I believe it to be sincere and I would not let this one episode close the book on the possibility of us transacting again. I would deal with Alex in the future.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to weigh in on this and for those who offered their support. It was greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hopefully this will be the last word on this and we can all move on.

From pennymike's perspective, he believed he was in the right and he went with that notion. I don't blame him for that nor for his frustration over the situation. Who hasn't been a little cross-eyed before over missing out an a must have book. I just wish we could have resolved this privately so as to not shed a negative light on anyone.

I think a couple of valuable lessons can be learned from this. For my part, 2 things. First, take more time to be crystal clear about sales threads, so there is no room for misinterpretation. Secondly, that there is probably nothing that cannot be worked out if 2 people are willing to remain calm and professional with one another. And it never hurts to be able to see things from the other person's perspective. You don't have to agree with it. But that bit of understanding can do wonders for how you approach the situation.

As mentioned earlier, we have done business in the past without so much as a hiccup. I received an apology from him and I believe it to be sincere and I would not let this one episode close the book on the possibility of us transacting again. I would deal with Alex in the future.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to weigh in on this and for those who offered their support. It was greatly appreciated.

Mike

:golfclap: Glad you two work things out!