• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Report on Comicseekers Long Box

465 posts in this topic

I asked for Photos. Sergio staged a little photo op of what he said he pulled from a Random box, showing a few titles, including some 20 centers, half DC. In reality, each box contained less than 10% DC's. Im not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I based my decision on the photos, description he gave of titles and grades, his claim that these were not picked thru and were the same as what he got from Adam.

hm. And you bought a "mystery box"? I'd say that so long as SOMEONE got the books Sergio featured in his photos and descriptions, he's actually not in the wrong.

...perhaps in that one, singular instance. Maybe. But highly doubtful, you agent provocateur

Perhaps... :shy:

There's been so much hooting and hollering going on about this, I think it's time for a re-set to see what was promised (specifically) versus what was delivered. It sucks to receive a "mystery box" full of garbage, but we've yet to see the full contents of one of these boxes, no? (If we have then simply chalk this line of thinking up to my having started the weekend sometime around Tuesday.)

I'm not saying that Sergio wasn't completely shady and shouldn't be strung up for being a general , but perhaps any one of the purchasers should step forward with the full contents of their box before more bridges are burned?

*sigh* Didn't I ALREADY do this? Should I take a picture of EVERY book. I listed a complete breakdown of what was in the box. In my opinion, I gave an objective listing, there were exactly 50 1st tier books in the box. None of which would make 6.0. 20% of the books were "Barbarian" books, low to mid grade conans, Kulls, Tarzan and Sonjas. There were no keys of any sort. 30% of the books were water damaged. In my box there WERE over 350 books. 1 in 9 books I believe were DC books. I had 11 Heroes books. The entire box smells musty and mildewy. I'm not trying to hide anything and I did try to take representative pictures. I cannot take 350 pics. What would you like to see? My camera is visiting my in-laws (With my wife in tow...) but I can take and post more next week.

Actually, you should probably just move on. This is turning out to rival a pressing thread.

Sergio sold crappy boxes. He says he is not going to refund the money. No amount of talking to uninvolved people is going to change that.

Hopefully you can work something out where you get your money or some of your money back.

I am going to suggest this, if anyone actually cares about the people that got ripped off, donate a book to the VCC(I would guess Donut could probably be in charge), whatever proceeds could be divided equally among the victims. Maybe it will offset some of the losses.

You would do FAR better going to a local show and asking virtually any of the dealers there for a good "long box" price, especially if you wanted to buy multiples. Most dealers in this area would sell you a nice, re-sellable long box of decent stuff for ~$80. And they'll even let you look through the boxes first.

Buying a long box of utter poo for $150 shipped is just such a poor idea. Not nearly as poor as trying to foist that sort of garbage to an incestuous group such as the boards, but still. Rookie mistakes can and do happen. :sorry:

My post count here may not be in the thousands such as yours, nor is Weird Paper's, but please don't make assumptions. We have 40+ years of buying/selling/trading/conventions between us in Comics, Original Art, Ephemera, etc. The term "mystery box" is a misnomer. They were fairly well described (which was exaggerated) and photos provided (selective deception) I had nothing but realistic expectation of what I was getting. Midgrade-2nd tier bronze books that guide for $2-4 that in reality you sell for 50 cents, a buck, maybe 2. This was fodder for the cheap boxes we do at shows along with Slabbed and unslabbed gold-sliver-age and bronze. If there were any decent long boxes of comics to be had in the room for $80, odds are we already bought it. (thumbs u

No offense. Wasn't really directed at you but at people who might be thinking about buying "mystery boxes" here and on eBay.

Should have been clearer, my apologies

(thumbs u no sweat. And generally speaking, you are correct. My mistake was having faith in a board member that I thought was sufficiently vetted.

Just for fun I've copied Comicseekers reply to my paypal dispute. Enjoy.

6/23/2009 09:25 PDT - Seller: I sold 18 of these boxes and they ARE EXACTLY as I described!Comics range from VG - VF/NM and they were all MARVEL and DCThere were well over 300 COMICS in the collection and ALL FROM 1970's!I added about 30 HEROES INC #1 AS STUFFING FOR THE BOX, those were all in NM/MT condition and retail for about $15 each!The buyer KEN sent me emails requesting that I send him quality items when he knew full well that this was a mixed lot of Marvel and DC's My opinin is that the buyer picked through the box for items he wanted and now wants to return the box!I WILL NOT REFUND HIM!Sergio

This gets a triple WTF?!?!?! :o:o:o

Heroes Inc #1 sells for about 15 pesos....not dollars.

That last highlighted comment is just totally out of line.

C

Typical scammer response. If I had a dollar for every time someone has accused me of "reverse scamming", I'd have several hundred dollars. ;) I just had someone try to use that on me yesterday. "You got the books, read them, and decided you didn't like them and now want to return them." Never mind that I actually have read those books several times, and love them, which is why I hoard them. No, facts don't get in the way of a good "reverse scam" accusation.

I wonder how many scammers actually believe their accusations of reverse scamming? I suppose a fair amount. After all, thieves worry about being stolen from, liars think everyone is lying, and scammers think everyone is trying to scam THEM.

But it does get really old and tiresome to be accused of what the scammer actually did as a means of "defense."

This thread is really long..... (thumbs u

Two things:

1. Has anyone who recieved a box chimed in and said I am really happy with what I got, it's exactly what I expected and I do not want a refund or break on the price?

Just wondering.

2. I bought some mystery boxes of Ebay just over a year ago when I started buying comics again (I have never been a big collector and I bought my first guide just last year). Being a total noob I thought it would be a cool way to get some books and learn. The fiirst box that arrived had some good X-men books in them actually 4 copies of 266 all 9.2 or better and I sold the best two too a fellow board member here. So I would say the mystery box experiment is fun and you may get lucky and find some neat books every once in a while.

Now the sad part of the story is the fact that I was a noob and screwed up on packaging of the books when I shipped them and what would have been 9.8 books got dinged up on the corners and became 9.6's, :sorry: but someone got a steak dinner out of it and I learned a valuable lesson.

Alright story time is over, let me know if any happy customers have chimed in and told thier side of the story.

Danny

Third thought was that I also would like to see box contents, above and beyond the descriptions here and elsewhere, so I guess that puts me in the same boat with you :shy:

I'd also like to see more photos of the contents of the boxes.

I asked for Photos. Sergio staged a little photo op of what he said he pulled from a Random box, showing a few titles, including some 20 centers, half DC. In reality, each box contained less than 10% DC's. Im not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I based my decision on the photos, description he gave of titles and grades, his claim that these were not picked thru and were the same as what he got from Adam.

hm. And you bought a "mystery box"? I'd say that so long as SOMEONE got the books Sergio featured in his photos and descriptions, he's actually not in the wrong.

...perhaps in that one, singular instance. Maybe. But highly doubtful, you agent provocateur

Perhaps... :shy:

There's been so much hooting and hollering going on about this, I think it's time for a re-set to see what was promised (specifically) versus what was delivered. It sucks to receive a "mystery box" full of garbage, but we've yet to see the full contents of one of these boxes, no? (If we have then simply chalk this line of thinking up to my having started the weekend sometime around Tuesday.)

I'm not saying that Sergio wasn't completely shady and shouldn't be strung up for being a general , but perhaps any one of the purchasers should step forward with the full contents of their box before more bridges are burned?

*sigh* Didn't I ALREADY do this? Should I take a picture of EVERY book. I listed a complete breakdown of what was in the box. In my opinion, I gave an objective listing, there were exactly 50 1st tier books in the box. None of which would make 6.0. 20% of the books were "Barbarian" books, low to mid grade conans, Kulls, Tarzan and Sonjas. There were no keys of any sort. 30% of the books were water damaged. In my box there WERE over 350 books. 1 in 9 books I believe were DC books. I had 11 Heroes books. The entire box smells musty and mildewy. I'm not trying to hide anything and I did try to take representative pictures. I cannot take 350 pics. What would you like to see? My camera is visiting my in-laws (With my wife in tow...) but I can take and post more next week.

Actually, you should probably just move on. This is turning out to rival a pressing thread.

Sergio sold crappy boxes. He says he is not going to refund the money. No amount of talking to uninvolved people is going to change that.

Hopefully you can work something out where you get your money or some of your money back.

I am going to suggest this, if anyone actually cares about the people that got ripped off, donate a book to the VCC(I would guess Donut could probably be in charge), whatever proceeds could be divided equally among the victims. Maybe it will offset some of the losses.

Sage Advice Dale. My only point to this thread was to warn off fellow boardies. I don't expect to get any reimbursement from Sergio. In the end, I know I'll sleep very well tonight. Sergio, if he has any sort of moral compass, not so much. Karma is a person_without_enough_empathy.

Sage Advice Dale. My only point to this thread was to warn off fellow boardies. I don't expect to get any reimbursement from Sergio. In the end, I know I'll sleep very well tonight. Sergio, if he has any sort of moral compass, not so much. Karma is a person_without_enough_empathy.

Ditto. I refuse to take $25 as hush money so he can continue on his merry way here. That would be immoral. IF the 4th box ever shows up, I'll turn it into a Ken Burns Documentary for you guys to see, since I already opened and sorted the contents of the the other 3 boxes.

Michael,

I will not accept returns on this because I believe that I did NOT deceive anyone! This all started with Poe who kept PMing me requesting that he did not want a box of beaters. I suspect he had his expectations high as to get bronze keys and not just regular issues.

You absolutely MUST stop trying to defend yourself. Clearly, your BUYERS do not agree with you, and when there's an issue between customers and sellers, the favor should always be on the customer's side.

You can say "look, I truly believe I didn't do anything wrong, but in the interest of fairplay and good business practice, I will refund what the customers are asking for."

That's all you have left to play if you have ANY hope of every doing open business here again.

And accusing someone of "picking out the best books and trying to return the rest"...? Are you kidding? I would NEVER do business with you again if you tried to pull that disgusting stunt with me. I certainly won't now.

It's very unfortunate that I, or someone else, didin't come look at these books in person and warn the board beforehand.

It's called an oversight! I thought I pulled out ALL the water damaged ones, maybe I missed a handful. But your statement that you would toss out all the comics because a few were water damaged is absolutely ridiculous.

Oversight? Are you that lazy that you can't pull books out? Water damage is about the easiest damage to spot (and smell) on comics. Just feel for the "crunch."

And if it was an oversight...THEN FIX YOUR OVERSIGHT.

Sergio claims that he can defend what he sent because at least one person was happy with what they got. Weird Paper made the analogy to me earlier today that: if even 25% of the patrons at a restaurant get sick, it's probably food poisoning. Even if 75 % didn't get sick don't mean your running a good business. The health department certainly wouldn't think so. Here we're talking about at least half the patrons not being happy. We did not collude or conspire to give Sergio a negative mark, the seller is the only common denominator here.

Sergio claims that he can defend what he sent because at least one person was happy with what they got. Weird Paper made the analogy to me earlier today that: if even 25% of the patrons at a restaurant get sick, it's probably food poisoning. Even if 75 % didn't get sick don't mean your running a good business. The health department certainly wouldn't think so. Here we're talking about at least half the patrons not being happy. We did not collude or conspire to give Sergio a negative mark, the seller is the only common denominator here.

Old, old, weak defense.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "everyone else was perfectly satisfied" as if that somehow NEGATES my problem, I'd have several thousand dollars.

It's like going to a used car lot, buying what turns out to be a lemon, and then having the dealer say "I don't know what your problem is, everyone ELSE has been perfectly satisfied!" as if everyone else has anything to do with THIS car at THIS time.

It's moronic, it's brainless, and it's insulting.

And I don't doubt that it sometimes even works.

"Well, gosh, if everyone ELSE said things were perfect, there must be something wrong with ME."

P1140498.jpg

P1140499.jpg

P1140500.jpg

Odd for an unread warehouse book to be found in a bag sealed with masking tape.

P1140501.jpg

Nine copies of Star Wars 37

P1140502.jpg

7 Copies of the Same Battlestar Galactica

P1140503.jpg

6 Copies of Howard the Duck

P1140504.jpg

Ripply torn Hulk

P1140505.jpg

Odd amount of books with a store tag on them

P1140507.jpg

Nice pick-up!