• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undergrounds Appreciation Thread

12 posts in this topic

I was on the coast around Santa Cruz this weekend trying to escape the hellish heat of the central valley when my friends take me to the local flea market. Walking down the rows, I came across a stack of undergrounds. Since the undergrounds I bought back in the 60s and 70s have been lost in various boxes for about 40 years, I had forgotten just how cool these books were and bought a stack of 1st prints and reprints just for readers. Damn, it was good to see Corben, Sheridan, Irons, Griffith, Crumb, Holmes, and Jaxon's artwork again after all these years.

One of my favorite books of all time: Up from the Deep

UpfromtheDeep.jpg

Back Cover

UpfromtheDeepBC.jpg

SlowDeath3.jpg

SlowDeath4.jpg

SlowDeath3BC.jpg

SlowDeath5BC.jpg

SlowDeath5.jpg

Fantagor3.jpg

Skull1.jpg

FunnyAnimals.jpg

GoryTales.jpg

Zap3.jpg

Got any favorites? Post them!!

Up from the Deep is also one of my all time favorite covers.

Here's a UG thread for ya.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3020813&fpart=14

Thanks, 50 cent #ll, for pointing this thread out to me as I completely missed it.Nothing like a string of undergrounds from OOcomics extensive collection to bring back old memories. Fogel had a few of those underground artists (Spain, S. Clay Wilson, Ted Richards, and Dan O'Neil) at his booth at Wondercon in 2005, and they were a funny group.

For R. Crumb fans I meant to mention...check out the New Yorker Summer Fiction issue about 3 issues ago...he does a straight-up illustrated version of Genesis... :gossip: yes, that Genesis, from the Bible...

absolutely FANTASTIC! :headbang:

Well here's two that are CLASSIC and just might be considered the Father of them all...there was a Plymell #1 up for sale here the past week... :o

ZAPCOMIX1VF-3.jpg

ZAPCOMIX0VF-1.jpg

And another one of my favorites...

cvr_Cherry01-1.jpg

tr,

What printing is your Zap 0? I have a .35 copy and I'm having a difficult time trying to figure it out.