• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS EARLY FANZINES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF FANDOM

78 posts in this topic

Kenneth Smith was a university professor of philosophy. Eventually he gave up the cushy teaching job in favour of being an artist and publisher. People said that he was quite unique-- I don't know where his style came from-- maybe early SF illustrators like Ed Cartier and Hans Bok. My Kenneth Smith fanzines are about the only fanzines that I have retained. I was also always impressed by his putting the exact date down, not just the year, next to his signature. Though it may have indicated the day he finished the work, I always got the impression that he knocked off these enormously detailed works in a day.

PANORAMA ONE-1971

Dave Stevens fan piece (15 or 16 when he did this). Bill G. Wilson editor. Great Fantuccio cover. Don Rosa Captain Marvel spoof. Adkins Silver Surfer bc. Jeff Jones checklist. More.

panorama1.jpg

alter-ego.jpg

$8.00 +shipping.

:takeit:

^^

Fantuccio's style was amazing. He employed graphic arts to a drawing ability that created a buzz in it's day. His signature was as distinctive as Frazetta's.

I am reducing the ALL DYNAMIC'S to $10.00 each + shipping.

ALL DYNAMIC 4 -1970

First Alan L. Light publication - Alan eventually became publisher of the Comic Buyer's Guide and is known for his Golden Age reprints. Featuring a letter from Fredrick Wertham defending his views. Shadow article. John G. Fantuccio cover and art. Important and scarce zine.

alldynamic4.jpg

$15.00+ shipping. NOW $10.00

ALL DYNAMIC #5-6- Double issue -1970

Great Don Newton Tarzan centerspread, Rich Buckler and Fantuccio fan art. Nice Dan Adkins piece. Mark Evanier article. Tons of other stuff.

alldynamic5-6.jpg

$15.00+ shipping NOW $10.00.

:news: SOLD!

GRAPHIC STORY MAGAZINE #13 - 1970

John Severin interview plus artwork. Adam Link by Eando Binder & D. Bruce Berry.

Mal-ig by George Metzger- the most surreal comic story ever published -wordless.

A memorable back cover.

graphicstory13.jpg

graphicstory13bc.jpg

$10.00 + shipping.

GRAPHIC STORY MAGAZINE #13 - 1970

John Severin interview plus artwork. Adam Link by Eando Binder & D. Bruce Berry.

Mal-ig by George Metzger- the most surreal comic story ever published -wordless.

A memorable back cover.

graphicstory13.jpg

graphicstory13bc.jpg

$10.00 + shipping.

Thank you.

LIFE ON OTHER WORLDS

Amongst the detritus of my so called life, I re- discovered this 1978 sci-fi comic portfolio by Al Williamson, Walt Simonson, Howard Chaykin, Paul Gulacy and Craig Russell in the original envelope. In excellent condition, the envelope measures 11.5 x 17.5. The Williamson piece is 10.5 x15.5. The others are10.5 x 13.5.

$25.00 +$12.00 shipping due to large format. life1.jpg

life2.jpg

life3.jpg

life4.jpg

life5.jpg

life6.jpg

The first wave of the portfolios was very interesting.

I think the impetus was something like this: If everybody is buying the fanzines because they have neato pichures by Kaluta, Jones and Wrightson, and the rest is filler, then why bother with the filler. Let Kaluta, Jones and Wrightson (or Williamson, Russell and Chaykin) do the best drawings they can. Print them by themselves. With the money saved by not printing filler, the art can be published large and on high quality paper.

At that point, artists were turning in their very best work for the portfolios. They thought that they would be remembered for the work they did in them.

Eventually, as with everything else, the portfolios became easy money. Big name artists were churning out the stuff as fast as they could. I even remember Frank Brunner lifting some of the human figures in one his portfolios. I can understand that when a comic artist gets behind on a deadline and has to turn something in fast, but I can't understand it when doing something supposedly guided by an inner muse.

Some more zines for your perusal.

RBCC 69 & 78 (1970) the great adzine, both with Robert Kline covers. Don Newton Thor centerfold on the 69, Catwoman full page on the 78. 69 has a clipped coupon on 1 pg,78 has corner crease visible in scan. Find out how much an FF 1 could be had back then ($22.00!). Loads of fun.

$12.00 ea or both for $20.00. + shipping.

rbcc69.jpg

rbcc69bc.jpgrbcc78.jpghttp://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/comixnoir/rbcc78bc.jpg rbcc78bc.jpg

catwoman.jpg

Next up are the first 2 issues of Anomaly. Published by Jan Strand in 1970 these have great Kline art including a Conan portfolio (example shown). The Masked Lizard by Vaugn Bode. Terrific reading.

$12.00 ea or both for $20.00 + shipping.

anomaly1.jpg

anomaly2.jpg

anomalyint.jpg

Now we have 2 issues of Comic World. A nn and a 5. 5 is a Learn to Draw issue from Hal Foster and Alex Raymond. Just think if you buy this copy you'll be able to draw like those guys. The nn has Foster Tarzan reprints.

$5.00 for both + shipping. Free for the first to order from the above items.

comicworld5.jpg

comicworldnn.jpg

Some more zines for your perusal.

RBCC 69 & 78 (1970) the great adzine, both with Robert Kline covers. Don Newton Thor centerfold on the 69, Catwoman full page on the 78. 69 has a clipped coupon on 1 pg,78 has corner crease visible in scan. Find out how much an FF 1 could be had back then ($22.00!). Loads of fun.

$12.00 ea or both for $20.00. + shipping.

rbcc69.jpg

rbcc69bc.jpgrbcc78.jpghttp://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/comixnoir/rbcc78bc.jpg rbcc78bc.jpg

catwoman.jpg

Next up are the first 2 issues of Anomaly. Published by Jan Strand in 1970 these have great Kline art including a Conan portfolio (example shown). The Masked Lizard by Vaugn Bode. Terrific reading.

$12.00 ea or both for $20.00 + shipping.

anomaly1.jpg

anomaly2.jpg

anomalyint.jpg

Now we have 2 issues of Comic World. A nn and a 5. 5 is a Learn to Draw issue from Hal Foster and Alex Raymond. Just think if you buy this copy you'll be able to draw like those guys. The nn has Foster Tarzan reprints.

$5.00 for both + shipping. Free for the first to order from the above items.

comicworld5.jpg

comicworldnn.jpg

:takeit: Both RBCC's per PM. Thank You!!!!!