• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX unrestored ----> CGC restored??

156 posts in this topic

1) "This chick" looks nothing like Jenny Mc Carthy.

2) Angelina Jolie now has 2 dozen kids, so she's done. Time for her to pass the mantle.

3) Sharon Stone? How dare you. Naomi can actually act, and earned her roles without bruising her knees.

1) Yes, she does. Back in her Remote Control days.

2) The mantle of what?

3) She still looks older than what she is.

Even if this had originally been a CGC (not PGX) 10.0, I sincerely doubt it would come back a 10.0 again if you had it regraded - lightning doesn't really strike twice in the same place, you know :)

In regards to PGX specifically, they hand out 9.9's and 10.0's on Moderns like they were going out of business - I've had several 9.9 PGX books come back as 9.6's from CGC. A good example is the Sandman #19 error edition:

- CGC has graded 167 copies, with 121 of them being 9.8's, and nothing higher

- PGX has graded 24 copies, with 14 of them coming back 9.9's, and 2 coming back 10.0's

Nuts.

Totally agree with you Michael. The lightening on this book (or payout - which does Daniel call it?) struck already.

I would be totally happy with a CGC 9.8 on this book.

Hear that CGC? Hint hint. And, we get it out of that nasty case. Come on?! I'm pleading here beforehand.

1) "This chick" looks nothing like Jenny Mc Carthy.

2) Angelina Jolie now has 2 dozen kids, so she's done. Time for her to pass the mantle.

3) Sharon Stone? How dare you. Naomi can actually act, and earned her roles without bruising her knees.

1) Yes, she does. Back in her Remote Control days.

2) The mantle of what?

3) She still looks older than what she is.

1) No.

2) Pie.

3) No.

RMA,

You have just joined the bhhooks club by answering your own post. You now have to bleach your hair, pan-fry some raw comics and punch yourself in the groin.

Ok.

But I'm not punching myself in the groin.

And can I borrow your waffle iron?

I kept the labels, so I was just going to post the book with the old PGX label above. Is that not okay?

Got the first one back with my modern submission. Kind of a funny story, I bought a 7,5 Werewolf by Night 32 PGX 7.5, the buyer shipped it in a manila envelope and it was nearly folded in half by the time I got it. HUGE color breaking crease right in the middle of the spine, otherwise book was beautiful. I complained to the seller, no response. Complained again and got a terse e-mail that they would refund my money. After two weeks and one more e-mail asking where my money was, I left a Neg, 20 mins after leaving the neg I got a refund on the book. Felt bad, but I gave plenty of warning... Anyway, so essentially I got the book for free, I cracked it out of the destroyed case and wavered whether to sell it as raw or resubmit to CGC, finally submitted to CGC and it came back as an 8.0. So after getting nearly folded double in the mail and sustaining nasty spine damage, the grade went UP. lol

Did you ever return the refund to the seller since the book was not really that damaged?

I kept the labels, so I was just going to post the book with the old PGX label above. Is that not okay?

Got the first one back with my modern submission. Kind of a funny story, I bought a 7,5 Werewolf by Night 32 PGX 7.5, the buyer shipped it in a manila envelope and it was nearly folded in half by the time I got it. HUGE color breaking crease right in the middle of the spine, otherwise book was beautiful. I complained to the seller, no response. Complained again and got a terse e-mail that they would refund my money. After two weeks and one more e-mail asking where my money was, I left a Neg, 20 mins after leaving the neg I got a refund on the book. Felt bad, but I gave plenty of warning... Anyway, so essentially I got the book for free, I cracked it out of the destroyed case and wavered whether to sell it as raw or resubmit to CGC, finally submitted to CGC and it came back as an 8.0. So after getting nearly folded double in the mail and sustaining nasty spine damage, the grade went UP. lol

Did you ever return the refund to the seller since the book was not really that damaged?

No. I bought this book about 2 years ago and was so disgusted with it, I just threw it up on a shelf. I just submitted it back in April. He told me to keep the book, and then basically forced me to neg him by refusing to answer my e-mails regarding my refund.

I would think that since neither CGC or PGX has ever formally published the criteria as to how they precisely determine a book's numeric grade -- its apple & oranges.

Restoration detection, however, should be cut and dry...or does PGX consider pressing restoration?

Bill

PGX's opinion blows. I'd rather consult my Magic 8 Ball.

I would think that since neither CGC or PGX has ever formally published the criteria as to how they precisely determine a book's numeric grade -- its apple & oranges.

Restoration detection, however, should be cut and dry...or does PGX consider pressing restoration?

Bill

PGX's opinion blows. I'd rather consult my Magic 8 Ball.

Hey, cut Daniel enough of a revenue share and your entire collection will be PGX 9.8 - 10.0 books like a certain large retailer.

"And the temperature in the vault is a cool 60 degrees today..."

Somebody tell RMA that CGC refers to their 10.0 books as "Gem Mint."

If you are biased against something enough, you will make arguments that are in direct contradiction to things you are "ok" with or are a part of, and not even realize it. Case in point. :baiting:

Gem mint, Platinum mint, Diamond mint. They are all similar. They have the same goal, which is to add a level of prestige or quality to the term "mint" to let people know its "better than mint" They are all descriptive adjectives that lean towards precious things in our culture. Things people respond to immediatly as " valuable".

Just because the Term "Gem mint" Has been around our hobby, and many other hobbies ( cards, stamps coins etc) for a long time, and is much more accepted, does not seperate the massive similarity compared to the other, less used terms.

Honestly I prefer NM/M 9.8 , Mint- 9.9, Mint 10.0 Added terms are simply for dazzle. Just as using gold Print for 9.9 and 10.0 as CGC does. Its not needed, but it does add flare, and there is nothing wrong with it. Oh, and why gold print and not something else? Gold = value, desired.

:makepoint:

Another question: can I submit a PGX book directly to CGC without de-slabbing from the PGX case? Will they de-slab it for me?

Yep, just write on the form that it's ok for them to do so.

Somebody tell RMA that CGC refers to their 10.0 books as "Gem Mint."

If you are biased against something enough, you will make arguments that are in direct contradiction to things you are "ok" with or are a part of, and not even realize it. Case in point. :baiting:

Hey, look, I can see posts. I'll just say "thanks, already knew that, have since they started using it."

Your argument is based on....as is so incredibly common around here...an erroneous assumption. In this case, the assumption that I am "ok" with the term "Gem Mint." Nowhere did I state any such thing, nor can it be inferred from my post. I am fully and completely aware of CGC's use of the term "Gem Mint." Your "case in point" is therefore nonsense, silverdream. Open mouth, insert foot.

In point of fact, I'm on record as opposing the term's use in the Overstreet Grading Guide, 2nd edition, but I didn't have much say in the decision. (For the record, I voted for "Pristine.")

"Gem" has an established history in other collectible fields, and is not just a NOUN in the vernacular...it is also a commonly used adjective.

"Platinum", however, is not (and please don't bring up "platinum records" or "platinum hair"...those refer to specific things, in this case, color.)

And I am "biased enough" against PGX because PGX is a FRAUDULENT company, you silly PGX shill. I wish it was not, but it DEMONSTRABLY is.

Gem mint, Platinum mint, Diamond mint. They are all similar. They have the same goal, which is to add a level of prestige or quality to the term "mint" to let people know its "better than mint" They are all descriptive adjectives that lean towards precious things in our culture. Things people respond to immediatly as " valuable".

Just because the Term "Gem mint" Has been around our hobby, and many other hobbies ( cards, stamps coins etc) for a long time, and is much more accepted, does not seperate the massive similarity compared to the other, less used terms.

It very much does. See the SECOND reason for "Gem" I stated above.

"Gem" has history as a common adjective to describe excellent quality, condition or preservation. "Platinum" does not. It exists because Daniel Patterson lacks creativity and panache.

And I am "biased enough" against PGX because PGX is a FRAUDULENT company, you silly PGX shill. I wish it was not, but it DEMONSTRABLY is.

Can you give some examples? ???

Can you give some examples? ???

Didn't you ask me this over PM a while back?

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

I didn't see that!!. :o Good thing I don't own to many PGX books.

My last two submissions contained PGX books that I cracked out.

Swamp Thing 8 in PGX 9.8 White came back as a 9.8 trimmed OW/W

Superman 233 PGX 9.4 OW/W came back as a 9.2 trimmed OW/W

Did I mention that PGX can bite me?

Ouch!!!!!!

I feel your pain.......

And have felt the same pain.

PGX ***** about 95% of the time.