• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 70 Covers in Marvel History

74 posts in this topic

Hear ya Dave.55,72..No N.Fury # 1,really

Hulk #340 is #1? Ugly cover.

Hey I like that cover! (It does not make #1 on my list, but it's still a great cover).

Hear ya Dave.55,72..No N.Fury # 1,really

Hulk #340 is #1? Ugly cover.

Hey I like that cover! (It does not make #1 on my list, but it's still a great cover).

It is a dramatic cover but it has always looked fake to me. That is the beauty of this hobby, different strokes for different folks.

It is a cover(340) I will never forget buying

brand new.....WOW

But the first time I saw TTA 93....Cheap,used!

Way far bad gone for comics..!

Would have cast a vote for number sixty one though,

I remember one of my family members bringing that

home and everyone wanting to see it!!!

Hulk #340 (a memorable cover with a cool compositional concept by the way) being voted #1 on that list is simply another example of how nostalgia driven everything associated with comics (and OA) really is. That cover came out when the hobby's fan-base was at its all-time high and was drawn by the most popular artist at that time. If that list was compiled by a panel of us seasoned, objective "art connoisseurs" i'm sure the list and certainly the order would have been quite different. Maybe someone (not me!) should coordinate the CGC (or CAF) top 10 or 20 of all time??

-Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

Hulk #340 (a memorable cover with a cool compositional concept by the way) being voted #1 on that list is simply another example of how nostalgia driven everything associated with comics (and OA) really is. That cover came out when the hobby's fan-base was at its all-time high and was drawn by the most popular artist at that time. If that list was compiled by a panel of us seasoned, objective "art connoisseurs" i'm sure the list and certainly the order would have been quite different. Maybe someone (not me!) should coordinate the CGC (or CAF) top 10 or 20 of all time??

-Ken

True talk is cheap.

Let those who object make a new list of top Marvel covers.

-Ken

The concept is good, but the execution is false. The blades come out of the fist round, but somehow are flat for the reflection?

ONLY four John Byrne and Terry Austin x-men covers got picked in the top 70 covers of all time....Now that is a joke, Their whole run together should have been up there and what is it with these covers from the last 10 years making the list....total garbage.

I'm glad to see at least some Zeck in there... it's interesting to see that the only thing that made up were Secret Wars covers though. A total of four Secret Wars covers (including the one by Layton) are included in the list (#1, 4, 8 & 10). I guess it was one of the most important series in Marvel's history!

I would like to have seen some of Zeck's other great covers in there - maybe Punisher #1 or #3 and of course the Cap Annual... but then again I don't follow the new stuff much so I have no idea what's considered classic nowadays.

Around three years ago now, a bunch of people ran the CGC board favorite covers from the GA, AA, SA and BA (the portion I administered with the help of FFB), so you can run a search to see what the forum thought a few years ago. The sample size here and any other demographic data would be interesting, but I'll play devils advocate here and try and argue in support of the covers that were on the list - well as far as I can anyway.

1. Hulk 340: Well I'm sure top spot :frustrated: some but I don't really have a problem with is being on the top 70 list.

2. AF 15: Same here, I can't remember if it was on the CGC SA list, but it is the iconic Spidey pose by arguably the Marvel artist of all time.

3. X-Men 141: It was on the CGC BA list of top 20, and while #3 may be a stretch I would say this is a Top 70 cover easy.

4.Phoenix Endsong 1: Its not even the best Phoenix cover out there, nuff said.

5. ASM 50: I think this was #1 in the CGC SA poll and its nice to see some cream rise to the top.

6. Civil War 1: Its a nice cover and maybe if one Turner Cover is on the list, this is the one.

7. Wolvie #1: despite what we may think in the inner hobby circles this is probably one of the most recognizably images in Marvel Comics and I don't have an issue seeing it on their list.

8. Avengers #8: Baffled here, I mean Avengers #1 if you want an early team shot.

9, 10 :slapfight:

11. X-men 1: Well it was one of the best selling books of all time.

12: Spiderman 1: See above comment

13: doh!

14: No comment on the S & S

15: GSX 1: Ya I'd vote for that.

16: Avengers 57: No complaints about the inclusion though 16 is a tad high.

17: X-Men 136: It's one of the Byrne Big 5 as I like to call them.

18: Secret Wars 1: Well another classic Marvel Universe Team shot, again in the 70 :golfclap:

19: :tonofbricks:

20: Nick Fury 4: Seems to be the iconic Cover of the run, I know ppl pine for the #1, but #4 gets reprinted more and had assumed the flagship IMO

21: FF1 - well its FF1, gotta be token spot for the top 70

22: FF 112: Ya that's the best post Kirby cover.

23: X-men 268: I think this is the signature cover of the Lee run, or at least one of them, 23 is high but I'm not opposed to it being on here.

24: New Avengers 1: Same poll in 5 years and its not here.

25:ASM 39: Romita, Spidey, Goblin = ^^

26: X-Men 1: See FF1 comment

27-29: Bring the poll into question

30: ASM 316: I guess this is the Venom cover, top 70 is a stretch but there are more offensive choices on here.

31: See comment 17

32-33: doh! I like the X-men 500 cover but not in the top 70

34: Marvels 2: Don't have a problem with one Ross cover, is this the one hm

35: Infinity Gauntlet 1: I love Perez, but maybe an Avengers cover and 35 is too high.

36-38: (shrug)

39: X-Mem 101: Gotta have a X-Men by Cockrum and 101 is a good choice

40:ASM 252: Its the image and the significance and not the pure art here.

41: Captain America 1: At least it wasn't a GA shut out. :news: most people don't know there was a Marvel comics before the 60s.

42: ASM 33: Well at least on Ditko made it, is this the best, no, but at least its on there.

43: ASM 122: Top 3 in the CGC poll if memory serves.

44: DD (2nd series) 1: I like this cover better than the first series DD 1.

45:Ult Wolvie/Hulk 1: Nice cover, but no Hulk 181 - :screwy:

46: Secret Wars 8: I'd prefer this one to ASM 252

47-48: :sick:

49: Cap 111: Must be a typo they meant 110

50: ASM 300: Sure why not.

51: Avengers 168: Curious on this one, I mean Perez Avengers sure, but why this cover.

52: DD 181: Gotta have a Miller DD in the 70

53-56: C'mon, especially Secret Wars 4 :flamed::pullhair:

57: Thor 337: I'm not sure this is the Simonson Thor I'd pick, but having one in there is ok with me.

58:Secret Invasion 6: There were definitely a lot of Cap fans voting is all I can say.

59:Iron Man 128: Layton is IMO the best Ironman artist and this is the classic cover/issue.

60: X-Men Legacy 211: Lotta Phoenix fans too.

61: Secret Wars 10: IMO this would contend very strongly in a CGC Modern Age Cover vote. :cloud9:

62: X-men 133: Well it is the classic Byrne Wolverine cover

63-65: meh

66: ASM 1: Token spot

67-70: Makes me think less than 100 ppl voted and most of those were related to these artists.

The omission of Silver Surfer #4 is the greatest injustice from my perspective. I mean Agent X #11 is on here and SS 4 is not - that one must have Big John rolling in his casket.

For the 70th anniversary of the company, Marvel.com had a poll where fans selected their favorite covers. Hulk 340 beat out AF 15 for the top spot.

http://marvel.com/seventy_years/countdown/winners/covers/

The majority of the covers selected are very modern.

What a joke this list is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of these covers are GUH-BAGE

They were voted on by the Masses.

You have to accept the democratic vote

The candidates were not democratically selected. :sumo:

Who chose them?