• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 70 Covers in Marvel History

74 posts in this topic

Marvel should have had the TOP 70 covers but qualify it with the "Best Cover of the Year" for each of the years, then it would be representative of all eras and styles and maybe create a nice balance, and also have a TOP 10 ALL-TIME on top of that if they wanted a popularity contest more than a tribute or retrospective. I think it would've been more entertaining to see each year's best or most popular cover.

They were voted on by the Masses.

You have to accept the democratic vote

The masses aren't always right. :preach:

When it comes to which is the most popular they are always right.

Included in my signature the 2006 results

We might program a new one for 2010

Fred

Interesting. As an old fart, I'm more partial to this list Fred. Having said that, and accepting that we all have our own biases and favorites to be sure, what caught my eye is that the only Neal Adams Silver Age cover was a Tomahawk cover. I would think any number of GL/GA covers (#76 in particular) or a Batman cover (Detective #400 or Batman #244) would outrank the Tomahawk. But, you know what they say about opinions--everyone's got one.

Scott Williams

Fred

Interesting. As an old fart, I'm more partial to this list Fred. Having said that, and accepting that we all have our own biases and favorites to be sure, what caught my eye is that the only Neal Adams Silver Age cover was a Tomahawk cover. I would think any number of GL/GA covers (#76 in particular) or a Batman cover (Detective #400 or Batman #244) would outrank the Tomahawk. But, you know what they say about opinions--everyone's got one.

Scott Williams

Scott I think it's because those other NA covers you mentioned are Bronze books and that list is only Silver Age. I believe the Tomahawk cover is late 60's, so it is Silver Age. Although I like the executioner Tomahawk cover better...

Marvel should have had the TOP 70 covers but qualify it with the "Best Cover of the Year" for each of the years, then it would be representative of all eras and styles and maybe create a nice balance, and also have a TOP 10 ALL-TIME on top of that if they wanted a popularity contest more than a tribute or retrospective. I think it would've been more entertaining to see each year's best or most popular cover.

But what are the logistics behind that? Scan and post EVERY cover ever created?

I don't understand why everyone is so riled up about this. Marvel got what they wanted. Something fluffy to drive traffic to their website. This isn't a scientific poll, it's a marketing tool. You see the poll, you vote, you come back over and over to see what made the list each time - and hopefully you see something else on the site that interests you and you go buy it. That's all this is.

If you want to put together a definitive list of the best covers, do it. That's what the internet is for. And then someone will say the way you did it is wrong. And they will make a list. And so on ...

Fred

Scott Williams

Scott I think it's because those other NA covers you mentioned are Bronze books and that list is only Silver Age. I believe the Tomahawk cover is late 60's, so it is Silver Age. Although I like the executioner Tomahawk cover better...

Fair enough! I always thought of those books as being generally Silver Age, but if 1970 is the cutoff, so be it!

I interpret top 70 as "best 70" not "most popular" 70 (shrug)

I interpret top 70 as "best 70" not "most popular" 70 (shrug)

True, but you are a collector. Marvel interpets the best as the best selling or most popular.

Wish I never would have looked at the list. Now my day is shot to .

Hulk 1? X-men 1? nice key books but my lil retarded cousin has more artistic skill then Kirby had. He's a big reason I cant stand silver aged comics. Not to start a flame war or anything but thats just how I feel. And WTF?!? New Mutants #1? phht.

Need more Zeck, Captain America Annual #8 and Punisher LS #1 better make the list next year or Im gonna cut someone. (hmm I feel a little better now)

Hulk 1? X-men 1? nice key books but my lil retarded cousin has more artistic skill then Kirby had. He's a big reason I cant stand silver aged comics. Not to start a flame war or anything but thats just how I feel. And WTF?!? New Mutants #1? phht.

Need more Zeck, Captain America Annual #8 and Punisher LS #1 better make the list next year or Im gonna cut someone. (hmm I feel a little better now)

A lot the guys you probably love would not be around if it weren't for Kirby's direct influence or Kirby's influence on the guys that then influenced the guys you love.

Among the guys you respect as artists or or guys whose work you like you'd be hard pressed to find one to think that Kirby wasn't King.

I feel a little better now myself. :foryou:

Best,

Chris

Hulk 1? X-men 1? nice key books but my lil retarded cousin has more artistic skill then Kirby had.

The only purpose for the above statement is to aggravate people into responding. I'm sure even this guy's lil cousin understands why Kirby is king. Baiting pure and simple.

I'm just trying to figure out who's more bored this Sunday, him for writing the inane comment or me for responding.

Kirby was not the end all be all... Hal Foster is the influence on the artists I like... Frank Frazetta is the influence on the artists I like... Jack Kirby is a big part of comics history, and has a vast amount of comics art in his portfolio, and his sense of dynamism is second to none, but this does not equate to being the best artist of all time. I don't like Kirby art, never have, never will. It is form without substance, dynamism without aesthetic...

I find most of Kirby's output to be ugly, heavy, and distorted. As opposed to Ditko, who was merely boring...

I have to agree with Hillbill... Kirby and Ditko are the reasons I don't collect Silver Age.

Having said that, I have recently had some GREAT art of the Silver Age brought to my attention, mostly in series that I had previously ignored, like Sea-Devils, Challengers of the Unknown, and Aquaman... Oh, wait... this is a Marvel thread... hmmm, yeah... Kirby and Ditko, Sal Buscema, Romita, Sr., Gene Colan... None of whom are in my top 100...

Why am I here?

Oh, wait... this is a Marvel thread... hmmm, yeah... Kirby and Ditko, Sal Buscema, Romita, Sr., Gene Colan... None of whom are in my top 100...

If you haven't been paying attention, this can seem like a Marvel board at time. Remember, though, that Kirby and Ditko both worked for DC and others; that Bolland is a genius and his nameplate is in the DC lobby; that Jim Lee is now DC-owned and much appreciated here. There are too many other examples for me to run 'em all for you.

Mostly, this is a board that respects comic artists and comic art. Dave Stevens wasn't a Marvel/DC staffer and he's loved here. Cockrum worked for both and he's loved here. And, absolutely, Kirby and Ditko are at the top of the top because of their talents, their innovation, and what they meant to the industry.

It would be interesting to see who is in your top 100 -- or, even, your top twenty. You've shared your nasty side. Share some OA love.

A lot the guys you probably love would not be around if it weren't for Kirby's direct influence or Kirby's influence on the guys that then influenced the guys you love.

Among the guys you respect as artists or or guys whose work you like you'd be hard pressed to find one to think that Kirby wasn't King.

I feel a little better now myself. :foryou:

Best,

Chris

If you like Zeck, I cannot see why you don't like Kirby! There is absolutely NO QUESTION that Zeck modeled his style off of Kirby, especially many of those Cap covers. Kirby, Zeck, Timm all had that Kirby style, albeit in different eras (60s-70s, 80s, and 90s respectively).

Hari

Oh, wait... this is a Marvel thread... hmmm, yeah... Kirby and Ditko, Sal Buscema, Romita, Sr., Gene Colan... None of whom are in my top 100...

If you haven't been paying attention, this can seem like a Marvel board at time. Remember, though, that Kirby and Ditko both worked for DC and others; that Bolland is a genius and his nameplate is in the DC lobby; that Jim Lee is now DC-owned and much appreciated here. There are too many other examples for me to run 'em all for you.

Mostly, this is a board that respects comic artists and comic art. Dave Stevens wasn't a Marvel/DC staffer and he's loved here. Cockrum worked for both and he's loved here. And, absolutely, Kirby and Ditko are at the top of the top because of their talents, their innovation, and what they meant to the industry.

It would be interesting to see who is in your top 100 -- or, even, your top twenty. You've shared your nasty side. Share some OA love.

Nasty side? My apologies... I wasn't trying to be nasty, just stating my opinion.

My top 100 artists... hmmm...

In no particular order, just as I think of them, and numbered to keep it all orderly...

1. Frank Frazetta

2. Neal Adams

3. Nick Cardy

4. Al Williamson

5. Wally Wood

6. Berni Wrightson

7. Mike Kaluta

8. Hal Foster

9. Alex Raymond

10. Esteban Maroto

11. Jose Gonzales

12. Dave Stevens

13. Everett Raymond Kinstler

14. Lily Renee

15. Matt Baker

16. Zolnerowich

17. Hollingsworth

18. Norman Saunders

19. Joe Doolin

20. H.G. Ward

21. Graham Ingels

22. Basil Wolverton

23. Matt Fox

24. Ekgren

25. Christian Doore

26. Lee Elias

27. John Bolton

28. Duncan Fegredo

29. Frank Miller

30. Todd McFarlane

31. Bill Sienkiewicz

32. David Mack

33. John Buscema

34. Ernie Colon

35. Andy Kubert

36. Adam Kubert

37. Joe Kubert

38. Tony DeZuniga

39. Jack Katz

40. Mike Grell

41. Charles Vess

42. Mark A. Nelson

43. Bo Hampton

44. Scott Hampton

45. Jim Starlin

46. Jim Steranko

47. Guy Davis

48. Geof Darrow

49. Mark Schultz

50. Will Eisner

51. Harvey Kurtzman

52. Robert Crumb

53. Michael T. Gilbert

54. Totleben

55. Rick Veitch

56. Howard Chaykin

57. Dean Motter

58. Brian Stelfreeze

59. Dell'Otto

60. Cary Nord

61. Adam Hughes

62. Ken Kelly

63. Jeff Jones

64. Barry Windsor-Smith

65. Ernie Chan

66. Vaughan Bode

67. Joe Orlando

68. Jack Kamen

69. Louis Ravielli

70. Dan Brereton

71. Duncan Frezzato

72. Paulo Serpieri

73. Milo Manara

74. Glenn Fabry

75. Steven Butler

76. Michael Turner

77. Al Rio

78. Tim Sale

79. Eduardo Barreto

80. Jack Davis

81. Goseki Kojima

82. John Byrne

83. George Perez

84. Brian Bolland

85. Dave McKean (the early years)

86. Simon Bisley

87. Tim Truman

88. Matt Wagner

89. Ralph Reese

90. Alex Schomburg

91. Whitman (Fiction House, can't remember first name)

92. Jim Lee

93. Bryan Hitch

94. Alan Davis

95. Bob Powell

96. Bob Lubbers

97. George Tuska

98. Larsen (Slave Girl Comics #1)

99 Lou Fine

100. George Evans

There are undoubtedly some I left off that I love, some that I included that I only like some of their stuff, and others that I am ignorant of... but that is fairly representational of my taste, I think...