• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 MH ad

46 posts in this topic

I have been re-reading my old beater copies of New Mutants, and in the middle of NM #7, there is a double-page Mile High ad that was just cool, funny, and a little saddening all at the same time. Here's the scans (yes, I bent the book backwards at the spine - they are beat up enough to where this won't really hurt it) :

oldmhlist01.jpgoldmhlist02.jpg

Look at that - ASM is "just" Spider-Man, and #129 was $1.75! Hulk 181 was $17.50, and Iron Fist 14 was $2.50!

Strangely enough, X-Men issues are comparatively expensive... although who wouldn't give $60 for a good #94 or GSXM #1???

-slym (hopes this brings back some "good ol' days" memories)

Also, I found it interesting to look at all the smaller ads for buying/selling comics... some are not recognisable, yet there are a few names that are familiar, and I have to wonder/assume they are the same person.

Grand Books, Inc., Golden State Comics, American Comic Book Co., and Rainbows End are all names I personally don't recognise, but maybe some of you do.

Howard M. Rogofsky seems familiar to me, as does Robert Bell.

Geppi's Comic World, anyone?

-slym

Nothing wrong with reading the New Muties (thumbs u

I used to read these ads over and over wondering if they would post to England but I never did order.

Some funny prices in there FF116 same price as 112 ?

Read the second bullet point in the white box. Any ASM 129 or Hulk 181's would likely have a detatched cover and be beaten to hell, to be called 'VG' by MH. Here's what you'd probably have gotten:

181reader.jpg

I have a Hulk 181 in similar condition to the one pictured above, and someone offered me $50 for it...

Now, is $50 worth of 2009 money worth more or less than $17.50 of 1983 money...?

:D

-slym

Considering the fact that Hulk #181 wasn't anywhere near as 'hot' in 1983 as it is now, I stand by my original position. $17.50 for that book in F+ would have been a fair price 26 years ago, not so much in 'VG'.

I can't find the smiley of Chuckles flipping you off, or I would have posted it...

(thumbs u

;)

How about this one?

chucknono.gif

I save good .gifs. I might have the 'mods notified' one saved as well, I'll look around for it (the 'My Pictures' folder on my PC is a disorganized mess, I only found the Chuckles one so fast because I'd already uploaded it to PB a while ago).

Hurm, I guess I don't have it. I did a search and the closest I found was this: pokeye.gif

I recommend you PM Flee, since I'm pretty sure he created that image, and surely has it archived.

I leave you with what is probably my favorite .gif, and one that I never get to use in regular conversation. I guess the subject of leather boys cutting lawns doesn't come up much.

R.I.P. Chappelle's Show!

dj.gif

Hurm, I guess I don't have it. I did a search and the closest I found was this: pokeye.gif

I recommend you PM Flee, since I'm pretty sure he created that image, and surely has it archived.

Here are some of them. I need to round them all up and put them in one place. hm

beethankyou.gifbeesnore.gifbeenewspaper.gifbeedonut.gifbeepop2.gifpokeye.gifbeehammer.gifgossipbee.gifpokebee.gifbeepresent.gifbdaybee.gifbeebday.gif

venombee.gifbeeyeah.gifbeenono.gifjugglebee.gifbeesurrender2.gifbeesurrender.gifcloudbee.gifspoonbee.gifnothanksbee.giftakeitbee.gifFM-xbee.gifbatmanclap.gifyayclouds.gif

gglaugh.gifmodsbee.gif

chucknono.gifspideyclap.gifgreggyread.gif