• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is There a Steve Jobs in the Comic Book Industry?

56 posts in this topic

Hopefully Big Jim is part of the new Valiant that is coming out any day.

Hey, one can dream (all around) can't they?

-slym

I'm with ya, brother. I'd love to see that happen, but lightening striking twice is tough.

:wishluck:

I'm a HUGE fan of Stan Lee, but I believe he has taken the lion's share of the credit over the years, to the detriment of the artists involved. You need only look at his later work to see that. (Working via the "Marvel method" in the early days as opposed to something like Alan Moore's meticulously plotted and storyboarded scripts.)

thats another argument in favor of Stan as a parallel to Jobs. Jobs gets called the Visioary and the Genius, etc, but he is surrounded by creators as talented as Kirby and Ditko in their field. Stan and Jobs are the popular lionized frontmen. Jobs didnt invent the iPod or all Apple products. He directs the company in what he considers the best direction, Stan didnt create teh stories, villains etc, but he directed the Marvel Age of Comics

Shooter is history. Were he successful today... had Valiant eclipsed Marvel... If he were a household name like Stan and Steve Jobs? THEN Shooter might be in the running here. Everybody knows Stan Lee and Steve Jobs. Jim who?

Isnt that what we are looking for in finding the comics Steve Jobs? The biggest flaw if that today Jobs is pre-eminent, and Stan is past his prime. But, the comics industry is 75 years old. Jobs will be history when PCs are that old too.

Seeing how some of the board members drink I think there are quite a few that could be the next Steve Jobs.

:o

I'm a HUGE fan of Stan Lee, but I believe he has taken the lion's share of the credit over the years, to the detriment of the artists involved. You need only look at his later work to see that. (Working via the "Marvel method" in the early days as opposed to something like Alan Moore's meticulously plotted and storyboarded scripts.)

Stan didnt create teh stories, villains etc, but he directed the Marvel Age of Comics

Uhm, if I am not mistaken, Stan Lee did write most of the Silver Age stories hm

Well at least that's what my silver age comics say.

Stan didnt create teh stories, villains etc, but he directed the Marvel Age of Comics

There is a massive debate about this and there is a strong arguement that supports the idea that Kirby was at least 1/2 responsible for the content...stories/art/direction etc.

R.

Stan Lee would discuss the basic plot with the artist who would then DRAW THE ENTIRE COMIC. Stan would then go back and put the words in (probably using the artist's notes about what was happening.) That's the Marvel method.

For Spider-man, Stan didn't like Kirby's art direction for the character (Kirby had a magic ring and a web gun), and decided to go with Steve Ditko. Ditko created the costume and the look for Spider-man. Gave him clinging power. Gave him soft boots. Created the spider-signal. Decided the webs came from his wrists (with Eric Stanton). Made him skinny and young.

But Ditko is a recluse and it's Stan Lee who gets acknowledged.

So I'll agree that Stan Lee has the same "Showman " personality and ego as Steve Jobs, although probably not the business acumen.

Stan Lee would discuss the basic plot with the artist who would then DRAW THE ENTIRE COMIC. Stan would then go back and put the words in (probably using the artist's notes about what was happening.) That's the Marvel method.

OK, what am I missing here? Stan Lee came up with the plot, and wrote the story. That sounds an awful lot like writing the story. Stan Lee was more than just a frontman. He was the writer. Yes, the artist were the ones that drew the pictures, but Lee came up with the plot and wrote them. If you can't understand why this is significant, than you will never understand.

OK, what am I missing here? Stan Lee came up with the plot, and wrote the story. That sounds an awful lot like writing the story.

What you're missing is that writing the captions and the word balloons does not amount to writing the story. The story is all there once the penciler delivers the job. It takes a lot of "writing ability" for Kirby / Ditko / You Name It Artist to turn in a 26 page job when the plot is:

"The Vulture is back and steal Peter Parker's camera containing pics revealing who Spider-Man is. Please include 2 5-page battle sequences."

Staging battles and fights alone is a huge job and is not something Lee did and left the artists on their own to find the setting and run the sequence. That's building the story right there.

and that after a short time, STan would say really basic stuff, and the artists would literally have to tell the story of how Doc Ock say captures Spidey etc etc.. Many artists who came to Marvel from DC etc AFTER the system was going well complained that they needed to do TOO MUCH WORK! That they only signed on to draw from a finished -script like other joints.

but I dont say this to take away from Stans involvement. His dialogue etc MADE Marvel as much as Kirby and Steves contributions. No? Stans MO was to delegate to talented guys while steering the ship.

Again, Same really as Jobs....they both done pretty good at it.

-slym

or run either DC or Marvel.

If Shooter had ended up buying Marvel, I wonder what a different place it would be today. Also, how far would he have taken the New Universe titles, as I always liked Merc, Justice, and Star Brand.

-slym

or run either DC or Marvel.

If Shooter had ended up buying Marvel, I wonder what a different place it would be today. Also, how far would he have taken the New Universe titles, as I always liked Merc, Justice, and Star Brand.

Star Brand was awesome, great movie potential.

I am pretty sure Spiderman One More Day would not have happened with Shooter in charge. ;)