• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is There a Steve Jobs in the Comic Book Industry?

56 posts in this topic

I am afraid the next visionary in the industry is going to take the book out of the comic book and then what will there be to collect?

torrent hash marks.

Yep... Jim Shooter.

Steve Jobs didn't always have success... but he kept trying. (And hit more times than he missed.)

I vote for Stv Geppi's Comic World chain of stores and then his domination with Diamond Distribution and his love for the potential growth of the hobby via his comic bk museum in Baltimore, MD. :D

Will Eisner:

1) Business Acumen: organized one of the early comic shop

2) Rule Changing: kept ownership of his creations

3) New Product: started the comic newspaper supplement, took over P.S. Magazine, considered the father of the Graphic Novel (even though that's debatable)

4) Creativity: need I defend this

5) Personality: I've never heard something bad said about Eisner

6) Supporters: DC just completed the run of 26 Spirit Archives. This project would never have been completed if the books didn't sell.

definitely Stan Lee! with the help of very talented creators, almost single handedly (as a consummate spokesman and leader) presided over a cult of comics collectors, readers and admirers.

With Jobs, you are talking about the so-called "Cult of Personality." Who else in all of comics ever held the public's attention as the go-to guy ??

Geppi doesnt count but sounds right because he wasnt involved with the creation of anything comics related really He's more like Michael Dell.

Shooter just doesnt have the stature for me somehow. Maybe because he has been so out of comics for so long now. And because Stan Created Marvel. SHooter was like Roy Thomas: came along a few decades later and grew it a little. But ahead of Thomas because he had such a huge second act with Valiant.

Stan Lee is iconic, but he seems to have peaked in the 60s-early 70's. I.E. He basically had one major success. (a HUGE success and sustained achievement... but when Stan Lee essentially retired from writing, his output stopped.)

I liken Stan Lee to a mathematical genius...someone who most likely does his best work in the earlier parts of his life.