• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 9 on eBay- good deal?

9 posts in this topic

Saw this copy on eBay. Not bad looking, though the writing on the cover bothers me. Like the fact that it is graded since many of the copies of this book have some work done. Is this a good deal? Opinions would be appreciated.

Batman 9 4.5

Thanks!

It's in a PGX slab. Since their resto check is worthless, most view a PGX book in the same light as a raw book. Some think that having PGX slab a book means you're hiding something, and view a PGX book as less trustworthy than raw.

I love the seller's justification for using PGX.

PGX is a fraudulent company. When you have dirty hands, it taints everything else you may do.

When I clicked this, I thought fo sho it'd be a CGC 4.5, over which I would have swooned. My #9 is purty to look at, but has extensive professional restoration. Sigh.

The price is a bad deal. Wait for a CGC graded copy. Don't know GPA off the top of my head, but I imagine you can get a CGC 4.5 for around $550-$650...maybe even less...if you're patient. There are plenty of copies in that grade range, relatively speaking, so it shouldn't be too tough.

good luck!

the only thing I will say is that the seller is Ken D (monstercollectibles)... I find him to be very knowledgable, etc and if he gave the book a once over before sending to pgx, then I could "buy" his explaination why he chose pgx... that said, I would only consider it because of Ken, not because of pgx!

here is another reason that Ken is a good seller

"Also, If you buy a book from me and within 90 days of receipt you have it graded by CGC and it is found to be restored, I will Happily Refund all of your costs"

so, he is guaranteeing that the PGX books are not restored...so, you only have the grading opinion to deal with, and to me, that is a pretty safe "bet" you won't get hosed by ken

But then there's the problem that PGX can't grade worth a ...
it is , of course, their opinion... but, there are nice BIG scans of the book, so one can assess, fairly accurate, a grade independent of pgx (I know I would ) (thumbs u

But then there's the problem that PGX can't grade worth a ...
it is , of course, their opinion... but, there are nice BIG scans of the book, so one can assess, fairly accurate, a grade independent of pgx (I know I would ) (thumbs u

That is true. And from what I can see, in my opinion, there are no apparent indications of restoration. But I am in no way an expert on these things. Hmm.. Maybe a best offer could be an option. It is a nice looking book, except for the writing on the cover. I have seen that on other copies of the book in the past. Not sure...