• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the Greatest Single Comic of the Bronze Age?

161 posts in this topic

ev96jd.jpg

- 'Death' of a major character, Jean Grey

- A chance to win $2,500

- Classic cover

- Byrne, Austin, Claremont

- The end of a fantastic storyline

- Double sized issue

My pick is DD 181. But you almost convinced me otherwise, and then I recalled the brilliance of X-Men 141, and almost switched again.

Yet, Daredevil 181 it is. What makes it great?

-the climax of a seminal story

-the apex of Frank Miller's legendary run

-double size

-top tier villains - Bullseye/Elektra

-death of Elektra

-fantastic cover -one wins, one dies

It also was the high point of a run that was a major step towards the grim and gritty tone that comics took on as bronze became copper, then modern.

Except for the fact that it's a Copper Age book, I might agree with you.

Actually there really isn't a 100% consensus for the end of the Bronze Age, although in my opinion it stops in late 1979, with X-Men 137, a full 2 1/2 years ahead of the aforementioned DD ish

From what the market shows, the Bronze goes into 1982. Maybe down the line it could stretch into the mid 80s. The Silver age already reaches into the early 70s. Who coined these terms anyway?

I really think we need to realign the Ages to where it makes sense from a collecting standpoint, not an arbitrary year standpoint...

My suggestions?

Golden Age 1938-1945

from the first Superman to the last war bonds book

Atom Age 1946-1955

from the first horror comic to the last pre-code book

Silver Age 1956-1967

from the first code book to the end of Strange Tales/TOS/TTA, and the beginning of GLGA/Nick Fury/Dr.Strange, etc

Bronze Age 1968-1984

from GLGA 76/Nick Fury 1 to the year before the Dark Knight

Copper Age 1985-Now

The Return of the Dark Knight/Watchmen on...

Any significant breaks or changes to the hobby since then? I must admit, I haven't paid a whole lot of attention since 1991 or so...

Intersting choices Cimm.

Im not sure the bronze age ran that long IMO

I see it from around Conan 1 to maybe Dazzler 1 (first direct market)

I havent paid attention since about 1991 either. Neil

It seems that Batman 227 is really leaping towards the top spot these days

Greatest single comic? Really? Sure, outstanding cover. Completely serviceable art by Novick & Giordano. O'Neil's -script has a nice gothic atmosphere, but as I've mentioned before, his -script doesn't really earn the would-be tragic ending he's shooting for...

60480-lastpg.jpg

I know what you mean about the last panel. I just read the story for the first time recently in Batman 30s to 70s. It is a good story except for the last panel. Batman falls in love with a ghost in a few short pages? :screwy:

But I thought the artwork was quite good in b&w.

my favs and the most important are different. gsxmen1 is far and away the most important book. gl/ga 76 confuses me, i have one, love it, but still dont get why its worth soo much money. amazing art, great storey but still, its taken on a life of its own. my personal fav though, is swampthing 7...wrightson batman....brilliant

Glad your enjoying it!! You definitly dont need to be a fan of the western genre to apreciate Jonah hex!!

Yeah, reading the old issues in the black and white Showcase format as recommended. They Rock!!! :headbang: Real page turners. Can't believe I refused to read westerns for such a long time. Next thing I know I will be reading War Comics, hm then Romance Comics :whee:and then the Funnies. :ohnoez: Nah, Not likely.

Well, wait till you read about Jonahs attempt to settle down with the Asian woman. Lets just say Jonah is not easily domesticated!! :D

Actually that story arc could have been left out of the Hex mythos! :sick:

GS X-men 1 is no doubt the one for me...how could it not be for big X-men fan? without it, Logan would never be as popular as he is today. He might be as popular as Wendigo and as many would have pointed out, the Hulk 181 would be worth 1% of what it is today.

As big as I am an X-men and Wolverine fan, I must say what they are doing today with him with all the different titles make me want to puke.

Batman 240.

Have you read it? It's a great BA Batman story. Just read it for the 4th time in a month. Like it more every time I read it.

Really? The disembodied brain issue? It's been years since I read it, I don't remember it as being one of O'Neil's better efforts, but now I'll need to take another look. (thumbs u

It seems that Batman 227 is really leaping towards the top spot these days

Greatest single comic? Really? Sure, outstanding cover. Completely serviceable art by Novick & Giordano. O'Neil's -script has a nice gothic atmosphere, but as I've mentioned before, his -script doesn't really earn the would-be tragic ending he's shooting for...

Yeah, but it really shows off Batman's neck muscles as he gets out of the noose with the torch!

And shows Batman's fear of dwarves with flintlocks.

I might nominate the Conan Super Special on the island with the Zingarans and Avengers 177 where all the Avengers get outclassed.

Tough one!

Let me add a vote for the Detective 475...Rogers/Austin Hard to Beat and a classic story--inspired quite the Joker performance as well

And of course, Conan 24...I mean how often does a comic character orgasm (bottom left panel, age 6 of the story)...but if you say Conan 24 why not Red Nails?

Batman 240.

Have you read it? It's a great BA Batman story. Just read it for the 4th time in a month. Like it more every time I read it.

Really? The disembodied brain issue? It's been years since I read it, I don't remember it as being one of O'Neil's better efforts, but now I'll need to take another look. (thumbs u

I'll admit the disembodied brain is a bit silly. But the rest of the story is great. He has a run-in with some ex-con's he put in prison and is rescued by Talia. There is a cool underwater sequence. Which leads up to another confrontation with Ra's Al Ghul.

Maybe not the greatest BA story, but a classic BA Batman story.