• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Neil Gaiman's most IMPORTANT copper age issue?

43 posts in this topic

Important? Dunno, but I really liked the cat dream issue of Sandman. I don't recall the issue number.

Sandman #18, I believe - 'Dream of 1,000 Cats.' Illustrated by Kelley Jones, too, iirc. A fine stand-alone story.

Sandman #9

Definitely in my top 3 all-time favorite written stories

Fantastic cover too. Still looking for a CGC copy

In terms of arcs, both Seasons of Mist (surprise, surprise based on my single issue choice) & A Game of You were out-of-this-world.

Pat

Sandman #9

Definitely in my top 3 all-time favorite written stories

Fantastic cover too. Still looking for a CGC copy

In terms of arcs, both Seasons of Mist (surprise, surprise based on my single issue choice) & A Game of You were out-of-this-world.

Pat

I just reread "Season of Mists" when I checked out a few of the TPBs from the local library. What a fantastic story!!

Wow, I can't believe I forgot Sandman 50 (might have fallen out of the Copper Age though).

The art and writing were just phenomenal. Coupled with being an Anniversary issue, a couple neat covers, and a self-enclosed story.

Pat

I happen to agree with Michael (McSchmidt), I've always been partial towards the Death HCOL series, and of course agree Sandman as a whole is one of the best series in existence.

I know this has no business being here, but wanted to strongly urge everone to read his "Graveyard Book", which won the Newberry Award (finally!). It's a great read.

I happen to agree with Michael (McSchmidt)

I didn't know Michael was Scottish... hm

lol

lol That was nearly as funny as Cal's Mrsschmidt in one of his big rants. That was priceless, comedy gold lol

Hard to say--I'd have to go with Sandman # 1 for "important" since that started the series, but favorite individual issues? I think # 8 (great self-contained story!),

I think # 10 (the one with the immortal whom he meets every 100 years),

# 19 ("Midsummer Night's Dream")--since it was the first comic to win that literary Sci Fi award, thereafter they changed the rules so that no other comics could win. Great story, and brought great attention to comics from folks who otherwise never read them,

# 30 ("August") sort of a mini "Death Takes a Holiday" with Augustus Caesar, with the implication that he only won the throne by allowing his uncle Julius to rape him repeatedly as a child.

# 38--self-contained, first one I ever read, where the grandpa tells his daughter the bedtime story, only to infer at the end that he was the subject of the story told,

# 50--particularly with its indictment of the first Iraq war.

don't forget the sandman special #1 with Orpheus.

It's also the 1st appearance of Destruction. He is mentioned before this a number of times amongst The Endless, but he finally shows up in-person.