• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Won't answer your statement?

I'm so pissed off reading this *spoon* from you guys I'm beginning to wonder why I even stay on these boards. None of you ever give a good customers books before he's paid in full? I've known this customer over 10 years. He made a deposit and if he defaults I will pay Bob out of my own pocket. And quite frankly having "how I run my business" discussed on the boards is a bit uncalled for. In almost all cases of timepayments I have the books until they are paid for. In this case I "trust" the buyer will pay when he states. If the books weren't pressed this wouldn't even be discussed.

As for declaring this on my website what would you like stated.

Consignment books could be up for sale on another site in higher grades before you are paid for your books.

IT SAYS ON THE SITE NO CONSIGNED BOOKS WILL BE RELEASED UNTIL PAID IN FULL

I agree with Bob on this one. Very common practice to send a good customer with a proven track record books befo.

I"VE NEVER RUN ACROSS A CONSIGNMENT SITE THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO MAKE TIME PAYMENTS,YET TAKE POSSESION OF THE BOOKS,WHEN THEY ARE ON CONSIGNMENT.IF THIS IS SO COMMON,SHOW ME SOME OTHER CONSIGNMENT SHOPS THAT DO THIS.

Everyone should know I am the biggest complainer about dishonset dealers, but Bob really is one of the best guys in the business and I think this transaction clearly shows that again.

NOT DISAGREE ING WITH YOU ON MR STORMS,BUT HOW DOES THIS TRANSACTION SHOW THAT?

How is this any of your business? Some of you guys are unreal. I wonder what people would find if they crawled up YOUR butt with a microscope?

Are you suggesting that only those involved in a transaction have a right to speak out on it?

BTW-You're welcome to try,anytime you'd like. I'd suggest a Saturday morning,as I'm working off the last of my Friday nite Chili.

I'm so pissed off reading this *spoon* from you guys I'm beginning to wonder why I even stay on these boards. None of you ever give a good customers books before he's paid in full? I've known this customer over 10 years. He made a deposit and if he defaults I will pay Bob out of my own pocket. And quite frankly having "how I run my business" discussed on the boards is a bit uncalled for. In almost all cases of timepayments I have the books until they are paid for. In this case I "trust" the buyer will pay when he states. If the books weren't pressed this wouldn't even be discussed.

Consignment books could be up for sale on another site in higher grades before you are paid for your books.

I agree with Bob on this one. Very common practice to send a good customer with a proven track record books befo.

I"VE NEVER RUN ACROSS A CONSIGNMENT SITE THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO MAKE TIME PAYMENTS,YET TAKE POSSESION OF THE BOOKS,WHEN THEY ARE ON CONSIGNMENT.IF THIS IS SO COMMON,SHOW ME SOME OTHER CONSIGNMENT SHOPS THAT DO THIS.

Everyone should know I am the biggest complainer about dishonset dealers, but Bob really is one of the best guys in the business and I think this transaction clearly shows that again.

How is this any of your business? Some of you guys are unreal. I wonder what people would find if they crawled up YOUR butt with a microscope?

I have given customers that I know and trust books before payment, when they are on consignment, and then paid the owner when I was paid. As long as everybody is upfront with the deal, there never has been a problem. I've done this with a couple of board members, actually. I'm not going to "out" anybody, but I don't think its a big deal in the slightest.

Bob Simans agreed to a sale price, Bob Simans is going to get paid his sales price, Bob Storms is going to pay him, and life moves on. Does it suck that Bob Simans didn't maximize his books to reach their full potential? Yep, because it is hurting both Bobs in the bottom line. All of the other sturm und drang about the books being pressed and manipulated etc. etc. etc. is just noise. Somebody gamed the system. Is that right or wrong? That's a different argument entirely.

I'm happy that Bob Simans knows what books they are and has alerted everybody not to buy them. That being said, what happens to the books after Bob Storms sells them is, quite frankly, completely irrelevant to Bob Simans' checkbook and the deal that they made.

boy, wouldn't that be something if the guy selling the cracked, pressed and resubbed books took time payments, too?

and then the new buyer tried to flip them to someone else via time payments?

namisgr might get his money in 2008 at that rate

Here's a better one. What if namisgr consigned his 9.2s because he wanted higher grade copies, and unknowingly ended up buying back his own books on Comiclink as 9.4s, before he'd received payment for his 9.2s!

Wouldn't that kind of be like getting into a time machine and going back and marrying your own grandmother? foreheadslap.gif

I have given customers that I know and trust books before payment, when they are on consignment, and then paid the owner when I was paid. As long as everybody is upfront with the deal, there never has been a problem. I've done this with a couple of board members, actually. I'm not going to "out" anybody, but I don't think its a big deal in the slightest.

Bob Simans agreed to a sale price, Bob Simans is going to get paid his sales price, Bob Storms is going to pay him, and life moves on. Does it suck that Bob Simans didn't maximize his books to reach their full potential? Yep, because it is hurting both Bobs in the bottom line. All of the other sturm und drang about the books being pressed and manipulated etc. etc. etc. is just noise. Somebody gamed the system. Is that right or wrong? That's a different argument entirely.

I'm happy that Bob Simans knows what books they are and has alerted everybody not to buy them. That being said, what happens to the books after Bob Storms sells them is, quite frankly, completely irrelevant to Bob Simans' checkbook and the deal that they made.

As unfortunate and annoying as the circumstances are......I have to agree with the Doughy One. I don't like it.....it would tick me off enormously if they had been my books....but the agreement on the deal is the thing. Given the current climate.....I would assume that any high grade book I sold would be examined by certain buyers as a pressing candidate. I have to know that going in. I know Bob Siman does.

I guess the aesthete in me is taken aback by the speed , ferocity and calculatedness (is that a word?) of the endeavour. It does feel like the second cousin of a pyramid scheme, even if it isn't. And it does chill my blood a little when I see books treated so totally as fodder. But that's me, and I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.

First off, I owe Bob a public apology for bringing him into this thread. I am extremely happy with our consignment deal - the books have been selling remarkably briskly, I am getting the prices I want for them, the conditions for the transaction were all defined by Bob clearly before we agreed to do business, I am being paid via a schedule that is superior to the one used routinely by Comiclink and other sites, and the customers are very satisfied with Bob as evidenced by feedback I have received from a fellow board member who was a buyer. I decided to sell the Spideys through Bob because among the many consignment choices, I frankly trust him the most. This trust has been more than borne out by the high quality of our transaction. As an aside, he also realizes outstanding prices for many of the books he sells, and this has been true as well of my transaction.

I have two reasons for discussing our transaction on these boards. The breadth, speed, and financing of the crack/press/resubmission procedure was a relevation to me, and I wanted to let everyone know how the game is being played. Secondly, I believe in DISCLOSURE, and wanted prospective buyers of these books listed on the Link and Pedigree to know that these books had previously received lower CGC grades, and were highly likely to have been pressed prior to their resubmission and current offering.

FD - i hear ya and understand the legality of the transaction as it went down.

HOWEVER, it seems to me that far too many folks are OK with this deal. unless a seller has already fully potentialized their books, they should NEVER agree to this kind of deal moving forward, now that we know just how bad and fast this crapola can happen..............

i just can't believe that there isn't more outrage............THIS is an example why I believe full disclosure ain't NEVER gonna happen. Too many folks like this buyer out there, that are simply gonna buy low and then sell high.............(failure to keep the disclosure string unbroken). sumo.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

I was also thinking of "Time Enough for Love" by Robert Heinlein in which Lazurus Long travels back in time and falls in love with his own mother.

Eeeeeee-yyyyeeeeeeewwwww! tongue.gif

I was also thinking of "Time Enough for Love" by Robert Heinlein in which Lazurus Long travels back in time and falls in love with his own mother.

Eeeeeee-yyyyeeeeeeewwwww! tongue.gif

This 'Heinlein' character could have at least thought of something a bit more inspired...

That storyline was sooooo done to death in 'Back To The Future'..... tongue.gif

First off, I owe Bob a public apology for bringing him into this thread. I am extremely happy with our consignment deal - the books have been selling remarkably briskly, I am getting the prices I want for them, the conditions for the transaction were all defined by Bob clearly before we agreed to do business, I am being paid via a schedule that is superior to the one used routinely by Comiclink and other sites, and the customers are very satisfied with Bob as evidenced by feedback I have received from a fellow board member who was a buyer. I decided to sell the Spideys through Bob because among the many consignment choices, I frankly trust him the most. This trust has been more than borne out by the high quality of our transaction. As an aside, he also realizes outstanding prices for many of the books he sells, and this has been true as well of my transaction.

I have two reasons for discussing our transaction on these boards. The breadth, speed, and financing of the crack/press/resubmission procedure was a relevation to me, and I wanted to let everyone know how the game is being played. Secondly, I believe in DISCLOSURE, and wanted prospective buyers of these books listed on the Link and Pedigree to know that these books had previously received lower CGC grades, and were highly likely to have been pressed prior to their resubmission and current offering.

And kudos to you for doing so.

thumbsup2.gif

Blazing is a big boy, it is more then likely just water off his back. I think he was more shocked that people actually put his policy under the microscope then anything. Like he cares what we think anyways!

And secondly, I think this is a very good example of how fast minimal NDP can be applied to a HG book. It doesnt take but a few minutes to crack a book out,apply the right kind of pressure to the proper indented areas, and poof..off it goes to be resubbed for hopefully a .2, .4 bump. With proper tools, and even limited experience you do not need to bother sending it out to a pro.. you can do it in house.

Just for arguments sake,back in the day this was obviously being done on a different level. For example, let's say at Conventions. Would dealers buy a book from another dealer, only to say 15 minutes later.. "I do not agree with this grade, I think it is NM+, not a NM-" , Put a new grade sticker on it and sell it the same day for more money? Or worse yet, take it home, press it and sell it at the next convention as a NM+.

Isn't this an age old tactic.. only made different by todays NDP, crack and resub with 3rd party grading?

It is all a racket only recently made finite by CGC, and their stamp of a numerical grade on the label. People will never stop, all we can do as consumers is ask as many questions as we can before we buy a book. And even then.. who knows what you are buying.

Coming to grips with this cold hard reality first. Then seeing what, if anything can be done to change it is the hardest part for me to accept.

Ze-

And kudos to you for doing so.

thumbsup2.gif

Blazing is a big boy, it is more then likely just water off his back. I think he was more shocked that people actually put his policy under the microscope then anything. Like he cares what we think anyways!

And secondly, I think this is a very good example of how fast minimal NDP can be applied to a HG book. It doesnt take but a few minutes to crack a book out,apply the right kind of pressure to the proper indented areas, and poof..off it goes to be resubbed for hopefully a .2, .4 bump. With proper tools, and even limited experience you do not need to bother sending it out to a pro.. you can do it in house.

Just for arguments sake,back in the day this was obviously being done on a different level. For example, let's say at Conventions. Would dealers buy a book from another dealer, only to say 15 minutes later.. "I do not agree with this grade, I think it is NM+, not a NM-" , Put a new grade sticker on it and sell it the same day for more money? Or worse yet, take it home, press it and sell it at the next convention as a NM+.

Isn't this an age old tactic.. only made different by todays NDP, crack and resub with 3rd party grading?

It is all a racket only recently made finite by CGC, and their stamp of a numerical grade on the label. People will never stop, all we can do as consumers is ask as many questions as we can before we buy a book. And even then.. who knows what you are buying.

Coming to grips with this cold hard reality first. Then seeing what, if anything can be done to change it is the hardest part for me to accept.

Ze-

well put. thumbsup2.gif