• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

OK, maybe I was a bit touchy in my reply. I just read his post as suggesting that ANY manipulation of a scan was sinister and deceptive. The man just does not understand that my prettiest books look like CACA when I don't monkey with the scans and it drives me batty!

If I knew how to tweak my scans to get them accurate I'd do it. Color fidelity is my main gripe -- see post above.

You know what works well? Digital camera in indirect natural light. thumbsup2.gif

I've had a professional photographer take pics of a number of nice books from my collection and a from those of a buddy of mine. I wasn't too pleased as I still didn't think they represented the books well. This may be due to the lab that did the film processing and, since I still have the negs, that would be correctable. Sacentaur does very well photographing his books but the angle is off-putting and I want super-high res scans without glare. It's fair to say I'm pretty picky, but that's probably why I like high-grade comics -- you get a rush that scans, pics, photos, videos don't provide. cloud9.gif

OK, maybe I was a bit touchy in my reply. I just read his post as suggesting that ANY manipulation of a scan was sinister and deceptive. The man just does not understand that my prettiest books look like CACA when I don't monkey with the scans and it drives me batty!

If I knew how to tweak my scans to get them accurate I'd do it. Color fidelity is my main gripe -- see post above.

You know what works well? Digital camera in indirect natural light. thumbsup2.gif

I've had a professional photographer take pics of a number of nice books from my collection and a from those of a buddy of mine. I wasn't too pleased as I still didn't think they represented the books well. This may be due to the lab that did the film processing and, since I still have the negs, that would be correctable. Sacentaur does very well photographing his books but the angle is off-putting and I want super-high res scans without glare. It's fair to say I'm pretty picky, but that's probably why I like high-grade comics -- you get a rush that scans, pics, photos, videos don't provide. cloud9.gif

Just send me the books. I take great scans, ask centaurman. makepoint.gif

Just send me the books. I take great scans, ask centaurman. makepoint.gif

I don't care what everyone on the boards say about you Andy. Clearly, you ARE good for something! poke2.gif

Well, I guess the scanner would get most of the credit, but I take what I can get! acclaim.gif

I am unfortunately not as graphically talented as MasterChief so I will just present some basic info for my first submission to this thread and I'll work with him to spice it up for a revised posting.

I purchased this CGC 8.0 copy of Human Torch #3 (#2)(1940) C/OW for $3,200.00 in or around Spring 2005 from a Hakes Auction.

HumanTorch3.jpg

I sold it for $3,600 at the SD Comic Con in July 2005.

It then re-emerged shortly thereafter after undergoing a nice undisclosed crack, press and re-sub operation as a CGC 8.5 and was sold by Heritage on January 18, 2006, for $4,312.50.

819047001o.jpg

Do you for certain that it was pressed or is it possible that it was a straight re-sub?

Do you for certain that it was pressed or is it possible that it was a straight re-sub?

I was told by the purchaser that he pressed it.

Now, whether the pressing actually accomplished the grade bump or it was simply the result of the resub, we'll never know.

Now, whether the pressing actually accomplished the grade bump or it was simply the result of the resub, we'll never know.

Thanks. It seemed like an attractive 8.0.

I certainly thought so. The book survived 65 years in gorgeous condition.

There was absolutely no need to play the crack and press game -- except for the sheer profit of it all. Plain and simple. A spade is a spade.

There was absolutely no need to play the crack and press game -- except for the sheer profit of it all. Plain and simple. A spade is a spade.

But it's well known that GA collectors don't chase labels! confused-smiley-013.gif

But it's well known that GA collectors don't chase labels! confused-smiley-013.gif

But some GA sellers chase $$$'s

Considering how hot the market is for high grade Timelys, is it really that inconceivable that the book would have sold for around the $4,000 mark anyway, regardless of whether it was graded a 1/2 higher?

Considering how hot the market is for high grade Timelys, is it really that inconceivable that the book would have sold for around the $4,000 mark anyway, regardless of whether it was graded a 1/2 higher?

Some will say yes, some will say no. I'll say confused-smiley-013.gif

Too many variables to consider. We can only ascertain what it sold for in the past and estimate what it will sell for on any other future day.

Mark;

Well, since profit was his major goal here, it's nice to see that he made a pretty poor choice here! flamed.gif

Based upon his purchase price and his eventual sale price, it looks like he only had a margin of $700 to play with. By the time you factor in the pressing charges, slabbing fees, seller's premium, postage costs, and whatever else you have.........it's not going to leave very much left from that $700. 27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Better luck next time, maybe he won't even recover his original purchase price. tonofbricks.gif

Mark;

Well, since profit was his major goal here, it's nice to see that he made a pretty poor choice here! flamed.gif

Based upon his purchase price and his eventual sale price, it looks like he only had a margin of $700 to play with. By the time you factor in the pressing charges, slabbing fees, seller's premium, postage costs, and whatever else you have.........it's not going to leave very much left from that $700. 27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Better luck next time, maybe he won't even recover his original purchase price. tonofbricks.gif

Possibly true. Perhaps what comes around goes around. Still he has made a pretty penny on many other books. Life is a circle, ala Seinfeld principle.

Mark;

Possibly true. Perhaps what comes around goes around. Still he has made a pretty penny on many other books. Life is a circle, ala Seinfeld principle.

This brings to mind a question. Lets say that as a seller you go through the above scenario with any buyer, fast forward to another book, equally nice, known original condition.

Then the known press and sub buyer makes offer and you are pretty sure this new book is about to go through the same process as previous book.

Hope that makes sense. The question is, do you sell the new book to the known crack, press and re-sub gamer? Does this pose an ethical choice for anyone? Or do we sell and forget it.

Would like to hear folks thoughts on this, as I had not till this thread considered it.

seems like a more attractive 8.5 now. to me and most people i hang with in the hobby.

Mark;

This brings to mind a question. Lets say that as a seller you go through the above scenario with any buyer, fast forward to another book, equally nice, known original condition.

Then the known press and sub buyer makes offer and you are pretty sure this new book is about to go through the same process as previous book.

Hope that makes sense. The question is, do you sell the new book to the known crack, press and re-sub gamer? Does this pose an ethical choice for anyone? Or do we sell and forget it.

Would like to hear folks thoughts on this, as I had not till this thread considered it.

yeah, that's the way to go; don't sell to certain people, no telling what they may later do WITH THEIR OWN PROPERTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The question is, do you sell the new book to the known crack, press and re-sub gamer? Does this pose an ethical choice for anyone? Or do we sell and forget it.

yeah, that's the way to go; don't sell to certain people, no telling what they may later do WITH THEIR OWN PROPERTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a perfectly legitimate question and never did he state that the owner didn't have the **right** to crack and manipulate. The seller also maintains the right to sell it to whom he wants for whatever reason he wants.

Some of the best deals and books I've ever gotten have been collector to collector transactions where the seller prefers that the book went to someone who would appreciate the book, that is, a "good home," rather than someone who would try to squeeze every last penny out of it.

Thankfully, to some, it's still not all about money.