• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Is the flash version working for you guys.....? I've been playing around with it for the last couple of weeks.......

Red

I think people would have appreciated it more if you had created a flash version of Foolkiller's avatar rather than Matt and myself! makepoint.gif

Or perhaps one of me and FK's avatar together, that would even be better! yay.gif

Is the flash version working for you guys.....? I've been playing around with it for the last couple of weeks.......

Red

I think people would have appreciated it more if you had created a flash version of Foolkiller's avatar rather than Matt and myself! makepoint.gif

Or perhaps one of me and FK's avatar together, that would even be better! yay.gif

And when you do create it Red, be sure to send an email link to Mark's wife. thumbsup2.gif

Red

And when you do create it Red, be sure to send an email link to Mark's wife. thumbsup2.gif

Yea but remember, especially in the context of this thread, what people don't know, didn't happen! gossip.gifheadbang.gif

The tip of what iceburg? That there will be a mountain of trimmed books getting through? No, because the vast majority of these books are obvious to CGC. You wouldn't believe the number of trimmed books I see floating around. But the issue here involves the ones that are so good CGC has to be on their toes to spot it. And that number is very small in my opinion. The tip of an ice cube.

To CGC...based on what has been revealed within this thread, and been the topic of discussion for countless other thread's.

What percentage of submissions do you feel would escaped your restoration/tampering detection, that should of been otherwise (within your current purple label definition) labelled accordingly?

If you're a grading company, and more than one or maybe two trimmed books pop up on one invoice, I think you'd pull the name up.

By no means am I saying I know what goes on in CGC's grading room. I do not. But if they grade an invoice that in the end looks suspicious, they could simply review those books afterwards by sending them back to Chris for a second restoration check. This doesn't affect the books' grades in any way, but it assures that CGC is being as thorough as possible.

Matt, first of all I wish to compliment you for taking the heat and answering the questions posed in various posts. Many in the industry choose to hide and and refuse to post unless they see their business impacted.

Regading CGC - If two trimmed books pop up I would pull up the name of the submitter. I would next inform the submitter of what I found. I would then alert customer service to flag any additional books sent in by the submitter. If I found additional trimmed books I would warn the submitter that if additional trimmed books are found in the future he would be suspended from sending in books in the future and the info would be diseminated to the public. Books that are passed through in a blue label and later discovered to be restored hurts CGC's reputation.

How many scandals need to occur before we begin to see a falloff in CGC's business? Most posters indicate that the restoration check is the main reason to send the raw books to CGC.

Is cracking down on submitters sending in suspicious parcels a police action or a defense of CGC's business? Unfortunately for the collectors, CGC will continue to judge how much of a revenue loss will occur if a big submitter is the source of the problem.

As many of you know, I recently sold via consignment my collection of Amazing Spiderman slabs. As of today, 6 of my old books showed up for sale on Comiclink in fresh holders with higher numerical grades. All are from a single recent submission to CGC. Note that the Western PA copy of Annual #3 was resubmitted without its old 9.4 label, as evidenced by the absence of the pedigree designation on the "new" 9.6 version:

my ASM 86 8.5; now cgc 9.0

my ASM 46 9.0; now cgc 9.2

my ASM 72 9.2; now cgc 9.4

my ASM Annual 3 9.4 Western PA; now 9.6, missing pedigree designation

my ASM 68 9.4; now cgc 9.6

my ASM 21 9.2; now cgc 9.4

As many of you know, I recently sold my collection of Amazing Spiderman slabs. As of today, 6 of my old books showed up for sale on Comiclink in fresh holders with higher numerical grades. All are from a single recent submission to CGC. Note that the Western PA copy of Annual #3 was resubmitted without its old 9.4 label, as evidenced by the absence of the pedigree designation on the "new" 9.6 version:

Did you sell them to the same person?

Jim

As many of you know, I recently sold my collection of Amazing Spiderman slabs. As of today, 6 of my old books showed up for sale on Comiclink in fresh holders with higher numerical grades. All are from a single recent submission to CGC. Note that the Western PA copy of Annual #3 was resubmitted without its old 9.4 label, as evidenced by the absence of the pedigree designation on the "new" 9.6 version:

893whatthe.gif

You know what, Bob?

This 893censored-thumb.gif hobby stinks to high heaven...and when something like that comes close to home, you've got to wonder why we are all still happy to be played for total and utter suckers by the 'movers and shakers'. frustrated.gif

Knowing the books intimately, what do you think of the upgrades....pressed, cleaned, trimmed? or just straight resubs?

Did you sell them to the same person?

Jim

Since the run is being sold on consignment to Blazingbob, I am not certain. I have requested that information from him, and will let you know what I learn.

Knowing the books intimately, what do you think of the upgrades....pressed, cleaned, trimmed? or just straight resubs?

Don't think the books were cleaned or trimmed, but pressing is a distinct possibility. It is also possible that a few of the books are straight resubs by someone who does a whole lotta business with CGC, and had the opportunity to visit Bob and peruse the entire collection in person.

Have a gander, and tell me what you all think of the top edge before and after:

new 9.0

Old 8.5

ASM86.jpg