• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what book is the Amazing Fantasy 15 from the modern/copper age?

130 posts in this topic

There will never be an Amazing Fantasy 15 from the modern age.

There are no more original characters to be had.

Not true--take a look at TMNT #1. That's an original book with an original cast of characters--it's just not from mainstream comics of the time. I've pegged this as the next Blue Chip club entrant for a number of reasons:

1. Extremely low distribution. Detective27kid and I have talked a bit over in the AF 15 Club thread in the SA Forum, and his main contention with AF 15 ever coming close to catching up with the Batman and Superman keys has to do with its common availability. TMNT #1, however, has a very small population. And then let's consider how many of the 3,000 books are still unrestored hm Not saying it'll ever come close to surpassing the Big 3, but I do think it'll earn itself a place in the clubhouse.

2. Mainstream Acceptance. Heck! How many of you knew there was a comic book that PRECEDED the tv show and toys? I know I didn't as a kid, but as an adult, this book became one that I knew I wanted to try to get some day. Supes, Bats, and Spidey are here to stay because they've transcended Geek Culture and moved into regular, mainstream Popular Culture and have staying power. I think considering the movies, tv shows, toys, video games, and comic treatments of the TMNTs, I think it's safe to say they've jumped through this hurdle pretty solidly.

3. Although this is an early CA book, it has already been in the market now for roughly 25 years so we have sufficient data to look at it and make some determinations on its prospectability as we might other books in this category. Bottomline, it's proven to be a solid performer in terms of value. I say this not to treat it like a stock, but instead to show that if this is a book you're looking to buy for your collection, you want to be smart about it.

I agree, TMNT is the closest thing from the Copper Age.

I disagree that there are no more original characters. Someone, somewhere, is probably sitting on a brilliant idea. However, comic buyers and publishers aren't interested in new and original. The buyers want old favorites or books with characters that will be worth $$$ some day. The publishers know this and push more Spiderman or Batman titles on us, rewrite old stories from the 1960s, or just give us more of the same.

But original is possible. The Goon came to mind as I wrote this. (Aren't reading The Goon? Shame on you! Pick up a TBP right now!)

And I agree with the TMNT assessment. I was working in a comic shop when #1 came out and I couldn't get a first printing. My copy from back then was a second.

I agree with Forrest on TMNT 1 being the beginning of the Copper Age. But I also think Spawn 1 was the beginning of the Modern Age. Image brought about a whole new line of characters as well as creator owned as well. This was a huge deal for artists. Just my 2c

And I agree with the TMNT assessment. I was working in a comic shop when #1 came out and I couldn't get a first printing. My copy from back then was a second.

I got mine on free comic book day,

that's all I needed.

:cloud9:

Its obvious AF15 is the Action Comics 1 of the silver age. So what copper/modern book is in line for the throne.

How do you mean?

Value-wise? There are a few, all have been mentioned. TMNT #1, Cerebus #1 (is Cerebus Bronze Age?), Spidey #300, Albedo #2 (and even Harbinger #1 is gaining) are all strong contenders as far as the value of the book relative to the other books of the era.

As a turning point? From this perspective, you can eliminate Spidey #300 and Albedo from the list above. Spidey only introduced the latest in a long line of Spidey villains, there will be more, albeit not necessarily as popular as Venom. Albedo is popular because it introduced a character that's popular within the hobby. Cerebus made the case for indy books. TMNT carried indys to the next level with mainstream acceptance. So I would think TMNT wins here.

Not true--take a look at TMNT #1. That's an original book with an original cast of characters--it's just not from mainstream comics of the time.

Yeah, it was original characters, but I thought it was a parody of Frank Miller's work on Daredevil. Just like Cerebus started as a Conan parody, TMNT evolved into it's own animal (sorry for the pun).

ASM #300

ASM 300 is the same character with a new costume and artist, so it does not get my vote.

TMNT I have never read. After watching them on TV with my kids, I just have no interest. (shrug)

I think Spawn 1 could be a candidate I would vote for. I love the black and white variant cover.

I think Spawn 1 could be a candidate I would vote for. I love the black and white variant cover.

You realize the black and white "variant" cover is from 5 years later, right? hm

How funny would it be if Spawn #1 News stand edition became the diamond in the rough...

:grin:

Well this complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person thinks a CGC 9.4 ASM #300 is on par with being the best copper book with his awesome price tag....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310128369799&viewitem=&salenotsupported

You realize the black and white "variant" cover is from 5 years later, right? hm

How funny would it be if Spawn #1 News stand edition became the diamond in the rough...

:grin:

I'd be sittin pretty, but odds are ?