• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprints

2 posts in this topic

Many new glossy cardstock covers (i.e. current Green Lantern, Superman/Batman) seem to easily acquire fingerprints that are visible under light when the book is tilted at an angle (in contrast to the smudgy fingerprints on older non-glossy, non-cardstock covers).

How does CGC treat these fingerprints? I understand it all depends on their location and severity, but I would be interested in opinions. This is a common problem that can probably only be avoided by wearing gloves.

I tend to knock an otherwise high grade book (9.4 and above) down to 8.5 or 8.0. Too severe?

I do not buy new comics, but some of the firm glossy books the finger prints can be wiped off with a clean t-shirt. The older comics where the oil gets into the inks and they do not go away, like the back covers to Watchmen.