• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANOTHER CRAIG LIST HORROR STORY

54 posts in this topic

O.K. So I inquire on another Craig-List ad for 10,000 books. Its in Harvey Ill. Not a good neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination. So i call and make an appt to see the books. Of course I take a collecting buddy. We finally find the house and it was almost too scary to go inside. I figure we're here, Im going in. We go inside and theres absolutley no room to even move. Packrats is an understatement. Lots of people inside. Owner of the comics isnt even there. Someone brings up a few milk crates full of books. No, bags or boards, about fifty comics in each plastic grocery store bag. Moisture wrinkled so bad a trip to ironing board wouldnt straighten them out. We politely say we've seen enough and leave, only to be stopped in the street by the actual owner of the books. He says Ive got some good ones, hang on. I really wanted to get off that street. Im on a dead end and this block was half abandoned buildings with crack-heads all over. He brings out some actuall long boxes stuffed with books. All moderns, no runs of any main line stuff, mostly trash. "Ive got 14 boxes like this. About 300 books per box. E-Mail me and i'll figure up a price. He e-mailed me yesterday. He says since there are between 300 and 350 comics ( full of mold, and dirt ) he'll take only $ 600.00 per box. WTF. I guess this guy was on crack too. $ 600.00 per box X 14. What a deal. :screwy:

DRX

I'm surprised the comics even existed, and it sounds like you're lucky to be here posting about it.

Ha, believe me ive worked in, and been in plenty of horrorific neighborhoods. Places in Chicago that most people only see in movies. And we were well prepared for any emergency that might have arose. But when I got home we decided maybe its time to re-think my collection searches. lol

DRX

I'm surprised the comics even existed, and it sounds like you're lucky to be here posting about it.

Ha, believe me ive worked in, and been in plenty of horrorific neighborhoods. Places in Chicago that most people only see in movies. And we were well prepared for any emergency that might have arose. But when I got home we decided maybe its time to re-think my collection searches. lol

DRX

having to pack heat when checking on comic collections for sale....what is the world coming to? :screwy:

I once went to look at a collection in South Chicago Heights that I had seen advertised on Craigslist. Not exactly a great neighborhood either. Not that far from Harvey actually. Anyway, the guy had a personal zoo. All sorts of weird stuff. Snakes in the house, horses and llamas in the backyard. Dogs, cats, birds....I think there was a donkey on the back porch. He wanted too much for the books, so I booked. Pretty bizarre day.

I met a guy on the 'net that had an X-men #36 in CGC 9.6. We decided on a price and I offered to meet him. Fun stuff.

He warned me about his pit bull and asked that I meet him at the back entrance to his home. As I walked around back I was on guard and made a mental note of anything that I could use as a weapon if need be. I left my cel phone in the car wtih my family and told my wife at the time to call 911 if I wasn't out in 5 minutes. I noticed that all the windows to the home were covered with dark drapes.

When knocked on his door all I could hear was this ferocious beast clawing at the door. He put the dog away and opened the front door. There were claw marks worn through the wood on the door up to about eye level. It was surreal like out of a movie or something. I gave the guy his cash, grabbed the book and left.

I felt real nervous about that encounter. Don't know why.

:insane:

I once went to look at a collection in South Chicago Heights that I had seen advertised on Craigslist. Not exactly a great neighborhood either. Not that far from Harvey actually. Anyway, the guy had a personal zoo. All sorts of weird stuff. Snakes in the house, horses and llamas in the backyard. Dogs, cats, birds....I think there was a donkey on the back porch. He wanted too much for the books, so I booked. Pretty bizarre day.

hm Reminds me of something...

neverland.jpg

Where is the best place to get rid of a small collection of books? I dont have a ton of old stuff , but all bagged and boarded. What about a collection of XMen card figures from Toybiz and Star Wars stuff, would really like to get rid of it all in one lot. Any ideas.

Yes, South Chicago Heights one of my old stomping grounds. From what your describing it had to be in a area called Millers Woods off of Sauk Trail. Not really a bad area so to speak. But theres alot of strange characters in there. South Heights is actually about three or four towns south of Harvey, and in no way resembles Harvey. Good story.

DRX

Where is the best place to get rid of a small collection of books? I dont have a ton of old stuff , but all bagged and boarded. What about a collection of XMen card figures from Toybiz and Star Wars stuff, would really like to get rid of it all in one lot. Any ideas.

Just make a list and throw it up in the market place. That's where I'd start.

(shrug)

I met a guy on the 'net that had an X-men #36 in CGC 9.6. We decided on a price and I offered to meet him. Fun stuff.

He warned me about his pit bull and asked that I meet him at the back entrance to his home. As I walked around back I was on guard and made a mental note of anything that I could use as a weapon if need be. I left my cel phone in the car wtih my family and told my wife at the time to call 911 if I wasn't out in 5 minutes. I noticed that all the windows to the home were covered with dark drapes.

When knocked on his door all I could hear was this ferocious beast clawing at the door. He put the dog away and opened the front door. There were claw marks worn through the wood on the door up to about eye level. It was surreal like out of a movie or something. I gave the guy his cash, grabbed the book and left.

I always meet a person in a public place that I don't know that well,

too risky to do otherwise.

:whistle:

^^

I'm a natural born risk taker.

:slapfight:

I knew the neighbourhood well but anything can happen from house to house.

I'm a natural born risk taker.

And that's cool for you, but I always see a transactions as

if anything can go wrong it will kind of thinker and with that in mind

I try to cut out risks that I feel are unnecessary.

people can be a trip when it comes to money and there are a lot of evil men out there.

So I make it a challenge fro me to get "caught out there".

But to each his own.

(thumbs u