• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rusty staples?

14 posts in this topic

I picked up Giant size X-men #1, this week and just noticed that the interior staples are quite rusty and have even migrated to the interior page above the staple - doesn't show through to front of the cover. The book, not taking this into consideration is graded somewhere in the region of a 5.0 to 6.5. How do you guys imagine this would effect the grade? is it dangerous to ignore, should I consider re-moving the staples to prevent further damage? Should I get my money back seeing as the Rust was not disclosed and I paid quite a bit over guide? what do you think. scans are here http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3286242#Post3286242

I'm happy with the book and its not an investment I just don't want it continually degrading and getting worse and I will not be able to upgrade in a long time so need to preserve this one.

Cheers

Did you buy it off E-Bay? It sure doesnt sound like your happy to me with it. I would ask for a refund, since it wasnt disclosed...but thats just my opinion. I'm not a fan in any way shape or form of rusty staples. Especially on a book like that. Good luck with it regardless.

DRX

Yep it was on E-bay, I have sent the guy an e-mail explaining me distress, stopping short of asking for a refund. I do like the book but i am just quite a bit disapointed, If anything can be done I will keep it otherwise ask for refund depending on how he reacts. He was a good seller who I enjoyed doing business with so really don't want to go overboard.

Yep it was on E-bay, I have sent the guy an e-mail explaining me distress, stopping short of asking for a refund. I do like the book but i am just quite a bit disapointed, If anything can be done I will keep it otherwise ask for refund depending on how he reacts. He was a good seller who I enjoyed doing business with so really don't want to go overboard.

Asking for a refund is not going overboard if this was not in the despcription. I dont know what could be done with rusty staples, but Im sure Ze-Man or someone could chime in and give some advice. I think your best bet is to just send the book back, save a little more dough and get a nicer book. When bidding on stuff, I always ask specific questions about a book, edge tears, soiling, cut-outs, staples. E-bay is trecherous these days, and its not insulting a seller if you ask before you plop down your hard earned money, you should anyway. I've had many sellers not reply to questions. Thats a red flag, and I look elswhere.

And one more thing, you"ll have much better luck buying on these boards, I know I have. My last two e-bay puchases ended in Paypal disputes. Just my 2c

DRX

I have these kinds of "keep it or send it back" dilemmas occasionally.. but usually over books that are hard to find and don't come up for sale very often. For a book as common as a Giant Size X-Men #1, there would be no question in my mind.. get my $ back and look for another.

You have other options:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=giant+size+x-men+1&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://www.comiclink.com/search.asp?where=sell&title=giant+size+x-men&x=0&y=0&ItemType=CB

Get your money back Gaz. If it was undisclosed you're well within you rights mate.

I agree. You really do not want this book. You can do better if you are patient.

I sent an e-mail today asking for a refund or large re-duction in price. Fingers crossed it will be a quick resolution. The seller seems a decent chap and would even consider buying from him again but lets wait and see what happens.

I sent an e-mail today asking for a refund or large re-duction in price. Fingers crossed it will be a quick resolution. The seller seems a decent chap and would even consider buying from him again but lets wait and see what happens.

Just get a refund. A day, a week, a month from now your going to come across a better copy and wish you returned it. Plus, the book already has rust migration and thats not going to get any better. As i said in a previous post, if a seller does not provide a detailed description, ask for one. If the seller stands by his grade he will have no problem with your inquiry. Always ask about edge tears, corner creases, soiling, pulled staples or tears. No one likes to get a book and then find soiling all over the B.C. or a tear, foxing, etc that wasnt disclosed. It takes alot of the guesswork out of your purchase sometimes. Ive bought alot of books where the seller convienently left stuff out. Then you have to go through the hassle of sending it back. Good luck with your decision. (thumbs u

DRX

Getting the staples worked on on a GSXM # 1 is a very delicate matter. I doubt it would even be worth it. The way the book is assembled would make it a lot of work{I think}....

It wasn't mentioned in the description. I would do what you are doing. Politely ask for a full refund. In the grade your looking for. It shouldn't be too hard to replace. Good Luck with the seller. Hopefully they will refund the money.

Oh well I returned the book today and cancelled the order - just need to get my money back now. The thing with the book was that I paid about $330 which is a lot for a 5.0 IMHO I even toyed with a 4.0 due to some spine glue erosion that is not noticeable in the scans. Any how thanks all for the advice it invaluable. I suppose i could ask where is a good to buy a copy slabbed or raw other than e-bay (just so you know I live in UK)

Oh well I returned the book today and cancelled the order - just need to get my money back now. The thing with the book was that I paid about $330 which is a lot for a 5.0 IMHO I even toyed with a 4.0 due to some spine glue erosion that is not noticeable in the scans. Any how thanks all for the advice it invaluable. I suppose i could ask where is a good to buy a copy slabbed or raw other than e-bay (just so you know I live in UK)

Just have a little patience, and dont let the money burn a hole in your pocket . One will pop up, and your going to much happier looking at a book without the rusty staples. Remember, when you buy raw, get some info and do some research on the seller. Good luck.

DRX

Just have a little patience, and dont let the money burn a hole in your pocket . One will pop up, and your going to much happier looking at a book without the rusty staples. Remember, when you buy raw, get some info and do some research on the seller. Good luck.

DRX

I'm glad you returned that book. Rust is a huge defect and rust stains on the paper even worse for me. The front cover right side looks like it has moisture stains and I think the whole book has been exposed to a very wet environment. Rust is bad for cars and comics.

Why not start a Want to Buy thread on these boards? No better place to buy it.