• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for you cartoonists

9 posts in this topic

I am an aspiring cartoonist who has basically educated himself in the artform at home. I have some great ideas that I have been developing, but have yet to put anything out into the public. What I would like to know is there anyone here who has taken a cartoon idea (ie. Peanuts, Blondie, etc...in other words not a full comic book, but a serial cartoon) and got it published? How did you go about it if you did? How did you handle the legal side (copywrites, etc..)?

Any info on this would be helpful...thanks!

Just put together a batch of twenty one cartoon strips (18 regular strips and 3 Sundays) and send it to the syndicates. Unlike the comic book companies who are work for hire, comic syndicates develop and market your comic strip... so they basically own you initially.

Print newspapers are dying out, however, and although there's a market in magazines and weekly zines... the internet (and internet syndication) is probably the future.

This guy is actually on the Internet (used to post on Usenet).

Lee Salem, president and editor of Universal Press Syndicate, the world’s largest independent newspaper consortium

http://www.park.edu/alumni/profiles/salem.asp

Yes, Salem is someone you should reach out to.

Here's an article from Hogan's Alley # 15 I just scanned for you featuring a fairly recent talk with several strip editors, including Salem -

82261.jpg.21a0e5e0b233051d94a38b6a36f091dd.jpg

82262.jpg.44ba57ce391dae1cc8e584a00ec1c9d9.jpg

82263.jpg.56d943cb8e82ed62a7f4900e2550d157.jpg

82264.jpg.10d2cf18e6f60eaf01f83b177e87fe42.jpg

82265.jpg.8feeda23c537c26cab48ee091798f588.jpg

Interesting article! What was the date for this interview?

I have this book and it is very informative. I was actually wanting to know how tough it was to get into newspapers/magazines/etc. It does look like Webcomics are going to be the way to go tho.