• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was Amazing Fantasy 15 published on especially crappy paper?

20 posts in this topic

I almost NEVER see a copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 with off-white to white pages (the White Mountain copy is the only high grade example I've seen with ow/w), and I don't think I've ever seen one with white pages other than the Curator copy, which you'd expect to be white even if they printed it on corn husks due to where it was stored. Anyone know whether or not Marvel intentionally printed this thing on crapola paper due to the series being cancelled or something? That's the only reason I can come up with for why the issue seems to have worse page quality than any other single early Marvel issue I can ever remember seeing.

Or are there a number of nice white-paged copies out there that just aren't seeing the light of day? (shrug)

I did see a low-grade (4.0 or less) white copy sell a month or two back. It was mentioned here on the boards because it went for well over GPA for the grade. I was thinking that it commanded a premium because of the PQ.

My low grade AF15 has OW pages...even after the original owner rolled it up, put it in his back pocket, got hit by a bus, which later caught fire and whose trousers were shredded and disposed of in the trash bin. While in the land fill it was picked up by a sea gull who dropped it over Cony Island's board walk where it was trampled on by passers by before being picked up by little Ralphy MacGregor who used it to train his dog to sit by whacking him on the nose....or something like.

comicsAF150001.jpg

I almost NEVER see a copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 with off-white to white pages (the White Mountain copy is the only high grade example I've seen with ow/w), and I don't think I've ever seen one with white pages other than the Curator copy, which you'd expect to be white even if they printed it on corn husks due to where it was stored. Anyone know whether or not Marvel intentionally printed this thing on crapola paper due to the series being cancelled or something? That's the only reason I can come up with for why the issue seems to have worse page quality than any other single early Marvel issue I can ever remember seeing.

Or are there a number of nice white-paged copies out there that just aren't seeing the light of day? (shrug)

AF1518.jpg

My low grade AF15 has OW pages...even after the original owner rolled it up, put it in his back pocket, got hit by a bus, which later caught fire and whose trousers were shredded and disposed of in the trash bin. While in the land fill it was picked up by a sea gull who dropped it over Cony Island's board walk where it was trampled on by passers by before being picked up by little Ralphy MacGregor who used it to train his dog to sit by whacking him on the nose....or something like.

comicsAF150001.jpg

:hail:

Copies of AF #15 with White Pages in 6.0 and 8.0 were sold on ComicLink within the past year or so. A 5.0 White Pager was sold on Heritage about a year ago. And a 1.8 White pager was sold on eBay a few months ago. Those are the only White pagers that I recall seeing over the past few years. The 5.0 White Pager was the only white paged AF #15 that Heritage has auctioned to date (out of probably 100 or so AF #15 auctions)...

I did see a low-grade (4.0 or less) white copy sell a month or two back. It was mentioned here on the boards because it went for well over GPA for the grade. I was thinking that it commanded a premium because of the PQ.

True, it may have gone for well over GPA when it sold a month or two ago for around $2,300 to $2,400 iirc, but I believe that the same copy had actually previously sold on eBay for $2,600 about 6 months ago, which at the time was an even higher % over GPA... The guy who bought it for $2,600 had it listed on ComicLink for $5,000 for the longest time before eventually reselling it back on eBay for a modest loss...

Copies of AF #15 with White Pages in 6.0 and 8.0 were sold on ComicLink within the past year or so. A 5.0 White Pager was sold on Heritage about a year ago. And a 1.8 White pager was sold on eBay a few months ago. Those are the only White pagers that I recall seeing over the past few years. The 5.0 White Pager was the only white paged AF #15 that Heritage has auctioned to date (out of probably 100 or so AF #15 auctions)...

I believe there are only 3 copies of AF15 with WPs (Universal CGC 6.0 or greater).

I own the 6.0 and the 8.0 went on C-Link recently (The 8.0 is an attic-find 7.0 but lightly pressed up to an 8.0). The 7.5 is upcoming in the Aug Heritage auction. It will probably fetch a premium.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7009&Lot_No=91139

AF1518.jpg

Best lookin' 1.8 I've seen. (worship)

The colours look great, almost to the point that they look enhanced.

I Remember that book as well but it was nowheres near 4.0 as I remember. It was 1.0 1.5

(shrug)

Your right on the Premium it was nearly dbl what other books with inferior quality were commanding.

I haven't followed this argument very well but didn't someone say that the paper cutter was especially crappy. I remember buying my early copies at the drug store and chipping of Marvel comics was a common. I tried to avoid the problem but sometimes I could not find a perfect issue. This was never a problem with DC and Gold Key was always perfect. Charlton looked good but the interior paper must have been a little more acidic.

bb

Paper quality was erratic on the early Marvel's to say the least. I've owned several FF 13's where you could see wood pulp in the paper. I now own a OW/W copy. It has been speculated that more than one roll of newsprint was used for a run and that quality varied widely. For example, a roll stored all summer in a hot warehouse would already have begun to degrade at production time...a real crapshoot as far as QP is concerned. Makes sense to me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u