• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prepare for the next comic market crash

70 posts in this topic

Looks like Marvel is finally doing it again...

Marvel Introduces Foilgram Covers

My favorite quote from the article is "This is Marvel doing the nineties right."

I was just reading the thread on the comic market crash thinking to myself, "if only I could go back to that time and buy the key books I want now for the price they were then." If this follows the same trend as the last crash, looks like I might have that opportunity.

hey, for $3.99 they should have foil and holograms that will talk to you

honestly, i don't think it's a big deal, but why are they re-launching ultimate spiderman?

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing...and expecting a different result. doh!

Like pressing threads.

MODERNS crashed. Bad companies were shaken out. Speculators were bounced.

Sign me up.

Actually, if you're looking for a way of picking up books cheaply...across all ages and grades...this is the best way forward in the short term. As it did in the 90s, there's no reason to suppose that if a crash in moderns came again, it wouldn't filter across the whole industry.

The problem is, at some point there has to be a pick-me-up, a way of building the industry up again. If that doesn't appear, just where are you going to actually buy these wonderful bargains?

LCS? Gone.

Dealers? Gone.

Auction houses? Selling old Nintendo games.

Double-edged sword, this one, but rather like the global economy, a correction is due and necessary.

It just might not end up how we like it. :eek:

...but why are they re-launching ultimate spiderman?

The same reason they relaunch every other title that gets relaunched. Increased sales on the #1 issue again.

well i guess qesadilla is going back to his roots with the "special" covers.

he is out of ideas because he really had none to start with so lets just recycle something that almost caused the collapse of the entire industry.

i still find it f'd up that there are some indie publishers that now have cover prices LESS than marvels...

j

MODERNS crashed. Bad companies were shaken out. Speculators were bounced.

Sign me up.

Actually, if you're looking for a way of picking up books cheaply...across all ages and grades...this is the best way forward in the short term. As it did in the 90s, there's no reason to suppose that if a crash in moderns came again, it wouldn't filter across the whole industry.

The problem is, at some point there has to be a pick-me-up, a way of building the industry up again. If that doesn't appear, just where are you going to actually buy these wonderful bargains?

LCS? Gone.

Dealers? Gone.

Auction houses? Selling old Nintendo games.

Double-edged sword, this one, but rather like the global economy, a correction is due and necessary.

It just might not end up how we like it. :eek:

You're absolutely right on that. They're trying to prop up sales using smoke and mirrors without

a) drawing in new readers (HELLO NEWSSTANDS)

b) increasing quality

c) reducing prices

The correction is just being delayed.

R.

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing...and expecting a different result. doh!

Like pressing threads.

I'm sorry as I love both of you guys but that was funny.

:roflmao:

Marvel is sure putting out a lot of titles these days. Wolverine has a new limited series starting up almost every month it seems as of late. Every comic has multiple variants

Personally even if I like a character such as Wolverine, Spidey I'm not going out and buying all these spinoffs. Seems like a total cash grab most of the time.

The difference here is investors/speculators are not lining up to buy 10 copies of these books like they did in the 90’s. I am not happy with foil covers either, but I really wouldn’t worry about till it runs rampant as it once did before.

Actually, for the last 2-3 years we have seen the variant cover BS run wild which still proved that people were not speculating on those either.

(The only true variant is Batman #608 RRP).

I think a random foil cover every now and then is fine, no big deal.

Investors or non-comic speculators have more than likely learned their lesson and are now sticking to the old vintage CGC stuff, which honestly makes sense. I am unsure if that is good for the hobby or not, but it sure as hell beats the absurd 90’s debacle.

Vintage comics should be thought of as blue chip investments that you need to hold over time, and not for a quick flip. Of course not talking about pressing or buying raw books and flipping them after being graded, etc..talking about established maximized CGC books. (My viewpoint to an investor, not speaking for comic collectors who love/collect the book just because).