• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Sig Series - anyone a fan?

31 posts in this topic

I don't fully understant the phenomenon of getting even modern books SSed. The (normally ugly, massive, poorly placed) scribbles usually ruin the book in my perspective.

The greatest pity I find is getting golden aged books victimized by a hideous, fat marker. I saw a very nice Weird Fantasy a while ago, that had the biggest, fattest "Al Feldstein" scribbled right through half the title. It was a travesty, and sold for probably less than it would have if it weren't SSed.

Here's another example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130317002096&Category=70&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

I don't know much about this title, but it looks like a stiff asking price. Does this type of thing appeal to any golden aged collectors? Or am I out of touch.

Each to his own. I actually like the Frazetta sig on that book. I think it is really cool to have a golden age book signed by the artist - especially if you have the opportunity to dot down and chat with these guys. There are not a lot of them left, and I'm thrilled to be able to tell a story about meeting the artist and having the book signed. I just posted a few of the ones I had signed by Al Bellman in another thread.

The only SS I own is this Frazetta that I got a few weeks ago. To me Frazetta is in a different category as his signature itself is almost a work of art. I don't think I'd want to get a high grade book signed or very rare one or a pedigree, but I don't have a problem having a nice, common mid-grade book signed.

WeirdSF29_cgcss70fc.jpg

I've had a few GA books SSed, but I always ask that they sign the book on the interior at the bottom of the first page with their artwork on it. If it has to be on the cover, I prefer it small and unobtrusive. Gotta agree about Feldstein. He signed two beater copies of Sunny for me, and his sig is huge!

I had Will Eisner sign the inside front page of my Warren Spirit #1. A Golden Age creator signing a bronze age book! Actually, I had him sign it to my kids as a memento, it is a book I won't be selling.

I am not a huge fan of these type of things either but I did have Neil Adams sign a couple of mid-rade Green Lanterns at San Diego just for fun. Half the fun is in talking to the artist.

I woldn't mind having Steranko sign some of his Captain America covers at this year's San Diego show either.

I don't know much about this title, but it looks like a stiff asking price. Does this type of thing appeal to any golden aged collectors? Or am I out of touch.

By the way, what did you mean by the above??? hm

I don't know much about that title, so I can't say if it is hard to find, common, key etc. Since that book in particular is an 8.5, I'm assuming it is rare in grade at least.

Who likes that an 8.5 has survived ~6 decades to be scribbled upon in the hopes of quick profit? Who's willing to shell out big dough for it - anyone? I've only followed a couple of golden aged SS auctions, and the prices were lack-lustre.

I think modern collectors like SS more than anyone, but this is just a guess.

I have a few signed and they are keepers. So value means nothing to me. Plus, they are reminders of the time I met some of these guys.

However, if I'm getting the sig myself I ask for a small signature and direct them to a spot on the book to sign. Small and unobtrusive is the way I like it.

And yes, Feldstein has a huge sig.

A few of mine below.

Superman72cgc60signedbyAlPlastino.jpg

WeirdScience-Fantasy29CGCsig70-June.jpg

Sensation102cgc55signedbyIrwinHasen.jpg

Batman37cgc60.jpg

TalesfromtheCrypt39cgc75.jpg

Comic books have a long life span. Sure they are great and Golden age and silver age comics are part of our heritage. These people created them though and without them there would be no comics. Plus the creators have a limited lifespan in comparison to comic books. So to have them sign them is a good thing

I don't fully understant the phenomenon of getting even modern books SSed. The (normally ugly, massive, poorly placed) scribbles usually ruin the book in my perspective.

The greatest pity I find is getting golden aged books victimized by a hideous, fat marker. I saw a very nice Weird Fantasy a while ago, that had the biggest, fattest "Al Feldstein" scribbled right through half the title. It was a travesty, and sold for probably less than it would have if it weren't SSed.

Here's another example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130317002096&Category=70&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

I understand where you're coming from, 100%. When I first got into CGC at all, I hated the whole "SS" thing, modern or otherwise. But I've really warmed up to it a lot!

I've participated in the Frazetta and Davis signings, both on GA (EC) books and both came back l restored despite being from an "original owner" collection!

:frustrated:

I've also had Ray Bradbury sign a couple of GA (ECs again) books, both came back with low grades, but I still wouldn't give them up for anything!

Moderns are fun to try to pick up in high grade and find the creators that put them out there for us to enjoy. I've had a lot of fun getting copper age books that I realy loved growing up signed by their creators.

But I digress.....as for GA books, it had better be a legend or pioneer in the field. In my mind Feldstein, Frazetta, Bradbury and Davis all fit, so I got 'em done. As for others, I prefer reprints. DC's Millennium collection is great for these, there are tons of EC reprints out there and Frazetta is always in print in some form or fashion..

Like so much of this hobby....to each his own!

It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun, right? (shrug)

I don't have any SS books, GA or otherwise, but I can see the appeal - though the smaller less obtrusive sigs are the best - Frazetta's look great! What is weird to me is having interior sigs slabbed - I understand it as a way of authenticating the sig, but when you can't see it - it defeats the purpose. I once had a low grade All- Winners #2 with sigs on the Cap splash by Simon & Kirby - different pens - I can't vouch for their authenticity - but they matched authentic signatures I've seen - I thought they were pretty cool, but only because I could open the book up and see them.

SO for slabbed books - I only see the appeal if it's on the cover. For raw books - on the inside (especially if the sig is for an interior contribution) - and take a photo of the book being signed - that's probably going to be good enough for most collectors if you ever plan to sell.

I'd think in either case you'd want a copy with decent page quality and cover eye-appeal - regardless of the actual grade.