• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you estimate a books value when submitting for grading

estimating submission values  

183 members have voted

1. 1. estimating submission values

27 posts in this topic

Kinda thinking along that line, as well. I can remember years ago Scott calling me to inform me that My FF #11 was graded a 9.4 and was worth considerably more than the standard fee (max $1000), I'd included... :applause:

I don't quite understand that.

If the fee is based on their insurance cost (supposedly), aren't they still paying insurance on the price you said the book is worth? Why would the cost go up? After they had finished grading did they realize they had spent 3x as long grading it as they would have spent on a 9.2 copy?

This is actually a real and pretty good example. the raw book in OSPG was approx $1000 in 9.2. The slabbed 9.4 was worth $10,000. the standard fee covered books up to $1000. The FMV fee was 2.5% .

I'm pretty sure they required the express fee which covered books up to $3000. I thought that was a reasonable compromise and was so stoked over the grade that i was quite happy, actually.

Neil, I just presumed that if you overgraded a book enough to warrant a tier bump that turned out not to be the case then CGC would do the right thing and grade at the approriate tier.

I mean they're good enough at bumping the tier if the book warrants it, and charging you for extra shipping on dofferent tiers even if you asked for combined. I just thought a company who can charge you extra money without your say so would have the scruples to save you money you didn't have to spend in the first place.

Sorry. I am a little jaded, too.....

:sorry:

-slym

I use OSPG for valuing books for insurance purposes. While values with GPA or auction sites may reflect more current values, those values can change over the course of time that the books are waiting to be graded. Hence, such valuations may not be any more accurate, depending on the book(s) in question. OSPG is at least the widely used valuation source.

go cheapest until cgc calls and tells you otherwise.

Kinda thinking along that line, as well. I can remember years ago Scott calling me to inform me that My FF #11 was graded a 9.4 and was worth considerably more than the standard fee (max $1000), I'd included... :applause:

I Loved those calls.... :cloud9:

lol I got the call when my Action #28 Detroit Trolley graded a 7.0

I sent in 3 grading coupons (4K each) and listed the Trolley as a coupon book, and a couple of my other nicer books.

Then, I put in a few as standard grading. I tried to explain when I got the call. Even though I listed the #28 as a coupon book, the response I got was well, that was the order that the person who unpacked them did it and we usually don't except 2 different tiers on a submission. However, they accepted everything except the trolley. :tonofbricks: I ended up just paying the extra $28 plus change.

Therein lies the rub. It's a Catch-22 that to save money by claiming a lower tier value, you must also risk losing out in the event the books get lost or damaged in transit.

Wouldn't that be nagated if CGC bumped a tier prior to grading? Surely they would have revalued the book due to the tier bump and would have adjusted insurance otherwise?

I know it wouldn't matter for books that valued higher but stayed in the same tier.

I wasn't aware that they would adjust insurance. If a few books jumped to Express-tier price, who would determine the value of the book? It's only happened to me once (and it got by them somehow) so I couldn't know how they would handle it. (shrug)