• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greek Street

18 posts in this topic

Just wondered if anybody had picked this up? I thought I'd give it a go, not expecting much but it has some potential. I loved it and will be picking up #2.

"Greek Street is a street in London that runs through SoHo, and SoHo is kind of like our red light district. It's all the lowlives and gangsters. This story is a re-imagining and a re-telling of those fantastic and brutal and visceral greek legends, played out on these modern streets of Soho. It's a story about the enduring power of myths. One of the myths the book tries to dispel is the idea that we as human beings progress. Our technology might progress, but when it comes to real human stuff - jealousy, blood -- we're not so different from those guys who lived 1600 years ago. Look at Darfur and all the terrible stuff going on. It's the stuff of Greek tragedy.

"Our hero is Eddie who's a young guy brought up in a children's home. He decides to track down his mother. Within 24 hours of finding her, he's made love to her and killed her. As he's running to Greek Street, he's got more than the police running after him -- he's got 1600 years of history chasing after him. Its a bloodline running through the generations."

GreekStreet1.jpg

Don't you read any decent comics :baiting:

Grant Morrison recommends it, for 's sake!

I'd much rather him recommend something than write it.

I disliked this book. I disliked it so much that I've reconsidered buying all of the new Veritgo $1 books.

The art was very nice, but there was no plot..... just a bunch of random scenes. The stuff near the beginning and the scenes toward the end were enough to turn me off to the book entirely.

If you are a fan of Young Liars with even less plot and more obscene stuff, this book is for you. If you are looking for a solid story, look elsewhere. This one will be cancelled soon anyway.

(Oedipus, anyone?)

You are correct, sir. They went to the Oedipus gimmick in the first few pages. It was stoooopid.

So any more thoughts after a few more issues? I've just finished #2 and #3 and to be honest I'm enjoying it. It's different and it's definitely caught my attention.

GreekStreet1.jpg?width=92&height=139GreekStreet2.jpg?width=91&height=139GreekStreet3.jpg?width=91&height=139

I managed to catch up last weekend, I got through around 43 floppies. That only covered new stuff though, my back issues are being neglected now :cry: