• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will become of your collection?

81 posts in this topic

I've already left instructions that upon my death, my entire collection would be handed over to the first person on the boards who realizes I'm dead, and starts a memorial thread.

Screw my comics!

I'm more worried about what happens to me after I die...

Exactly! You're worm food buddy, so why do you care?

Got a ton of $$$ tied up in the books, and your family may be hard up for cash?

If you cared about your family's financial well-being, you wouldn't have selfishly sunk that much cash into funny books in the first place. Next question.

Then again, I live very close to Chrisco who may show up the day after I died and try to con the widow Lantern out of her valuable books so he could make a huge profit off of my sweet, sweet DC's.

(rubs hands together in sinister fashion) "The Wheels are in already in Motion." devil.gif

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

p.s. See Want List below 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Screw my comics!

If you cared about your family's financial well-being, you wouldn't have selfishly sunk that much cash into funny books in the first place. Next question.

I share JC's sentiment, but I wouldn't have put it as bluntly as he did. But, that's the beauty of JC I suppose..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

IF I were to die today, my wife would have the books sold tomorrow so she could clear out the closet and fill it with scrapbooking supplies. Then she'd do all that mourning and burial stuff.

IF I were to die today, my wife would have the books sold tomorrow so she could clear out the closet and fill it with scrapbooking supplies. Then she'd do all that mourning and burial stuff.

sign-funnypost.gif

Arch should set up an auxiliary scrapbooking forum for the sole purpose of keeping our spouses occupied instead of bothering us with inane conversation while we're trying to keep up with our own CGC forum!!! sign-rantpost.gifshocked.gifacclaim.gif

My collection will mostly go to my kids. Well, future kids.

I'm always bummed about how my dad had a pretty decent silver age collection of Fantastic Four (1-50ish), Detective Comics, Batman, Action Comics and a few other DC titles when he was younger. He said they were all in really good shape and judging by the condition his MAD magazines from that same era are in right now, I'd believe him. When he went away to college my grandmother either sold or threw out all the comics. Every single one...gone. 893frustrated.gif

I guess it's kind of scary, my wife has little knowledge of my comic collection.

Over the last few months I think she's just starting to have some concept of books I've bought and sold over the years. But if I were to die the books would go to my sons. Some of my best friends who have collected with me over the last 20+ years would probably help her sell a few of the more valuble ones. I am never leaving this hobby. I've slowed down at times, but I have bought books continuously off the rack non stop since around 82.

Some of my best friends who have collected with me over the last 20+ years would probably help her sell a few of the more valuble ones.

"Ya know Mrs Rip, since he wuz such a good pal 'a mine, I'm offerig ya $50 for da lot... and that's way over Guide!"

This is an interesting question...

If I were to die tomorrow... I'd probably bequeath my whole collection to my two or three collector friends and they could either a) keep it or b) sell it.

But this question does raise an intersting problem that I've been thinking about more and more lately... and that's having books that are even remotely liquid. Most of my modern stuff just takes up space and I never look at it... and a great deal of it is being reprinted in trades... so it means that I will begin shifting towards the trade library and buying a raw or CGC book of higher value from now on, just owning fewer. I think it's nice to have runs (and I still believe a run of books is fairly liquid on ebay) but other than that, DUMP IT... I need the space, not becoming a pack rat with 40 boxes to move.

Great thread though.

I have every book I have purchased catalogued with the price I paid for it. I have written instructions for my wife with the details of two dealers she is to ring if she needs to sell them. Both these dealers know me well and have supplied the bulk of my high end stuff.

Assuming my family is not hard up for cash... 893crossfingers-thumb.gifmy collection will be split between my two sons.....one will get the spidey's and Hulks and the other gets my DC's.

I am currently in the process of building my production art collection and if it becomes significant over time I may think about donating it to a library or museum.

I have already told the wife that my copy of Hawkman #4 (first comic bought as a kid) is to be cremated with me. (very morbid I know).

I have detailed files regarding the price paid, multiple of guide paid, Overstreet's current value, selling multiples and estimated worth of each piece. I have no kids or wife but my brother and parents know the rough value of my collection. Since I am the youngest in my family I do not know where things will end if I am 90 years old with no family and a valuable collection. Luckily that's 60 years away, so I have time to think about it!

BTW, telling your wife about the value of your collection is not always a good thing! My dad collects rare guns and a guy he knows had a gun collection. He was about 60 years old and the wife wanted to get a nice house and retire. That being said the guy sold his ENTIRE collection to a gun dealer for 1 million dollars.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" sadi the dealer.

"Yes, I am postive. We are going to buy a new house and retire, live the easy life!" he said.

2 months later his wife filed for divorce.

She realized the only way she was going to get her "due" on the community property was to trick her husband into selling his collection.

SELLER BEWARE!!! 893whatthe.gif

Timely

Screw my comics!

893frustrated.gif

I was only trying to be funny... Geez.

And Dr. Banner has no sense of humor? stooges.gif

And Dr. Banner has no sense of humor? stooges.gif

Huh? I believe you have your posters mixed up...I'm a funny guy damit! mad.gif

27_laughing.gif

I should have said "And you say Dr. Banner has no sense of humor?"

He always says that about you and your "bum buddies" right? confused-smiley-013.gif

I will use all my Spideys to build a bed and make love to Kirsten Dunst...

I will use all my Hulks to build a bed and make love to Jennifer Connelly...

I will use all my Daredevils to build a bed and make love to Jennifer Garner...

I will use all my X-Men to build a bed and have a threesome with Famke Janssen and Halle Berry....

I will torch everything else.

Like Chef said, you gotta 'make sweet love by the fire.'

Then, I will die a happy man. insane.gif