• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will become of your collection?

81 posts in this topic

Don't worry about it, as most prenups are tossed out of court these days, as times change and judges shift "the equity rules". It's pretty easy to get one wiped out, and there was a segment on them on The Docket on CBC that was pretty eye-opening.

And I'm pretty sure the Equity rules here are pretty harsh as well. Apparently, if you live with a girl for more than 6 months, you are considered common law, and the equity rules apply. 893frustrated.gif

Girls are not allowed to bring more than a tooth brush, their other maintenance products, and a change of clothes if they're going to stay over at my place. So basically, I won't allow a girl to camp at my house for more than a night. (This sounds like I'm joking, but I'm not).

enough of this pre nup talk, tongue.gif just leave the comic books at your parents home, and NEVER! i repeat NEVER! ever tell your wife/g-friend how important your comics are to you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif cos that'll be the one of the first things she's going to try to TAKE away from you out of SPITE!. 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gifthumbsup2.gif

I can't agree with you there. From what I've read/heard pre-nuptials have become very common place. It's not so much betting on that the marriage will fail. It's more like getting life insurance. You're hoping it doesn't happen but there's a chance it could.

Brian

Well said!

Timely

Then please tell me where you are finding all these women who are totally accepting of the idea. I sure as hell can't find them. confused-smiley-013.gif

Try AOL members! I did! 27_laughing.gif

Timely

No amount of prenup accepting women could get me to use AOL EVER again. grin.gif

And what if you purchased your collection years ago, raw, on the cheap, and it's now worth substantially more than you paid? Do you call that "selfishly sinking tons of cash in funnybooks"?

That's a good point, and I was really thinking about those that have sunks substantial sums into books, and then would suddenly have a loss of faith upon their death.

Basically, why not have the change of heart today?

For the same reason you hoard bronze books; because that person may be a collector.

So lets say a collector who has financial security, and an insane collection died tomorrow. Regardless of the fact that the family is taken care of due to insurance, investments and whatever else, why should the 250K collection be wasted? Or, even though your family is taken care of, why should your bronze hoard be wasted when it could be a bonus for your Wife and kid? If you're doing well financially, you should be the first to know that there is no such thing as money to waste, especially when it comes to your family? Correct?

AK - great topic and I am sorry that I am coming to it so late! Here's a couple of things:

no one else in my family (nor my GF for that matter) collects anything. No one in my family wants any of these books and quite honestly I have gotten my money's worth out of them. Also, while I have spent a lot of time and energy on my comics they are not worth really even close to what you would think. If I were to die tomorrow, my Superman 75 Platinum and Death in the Family comics all go to my little brother. The rest of the run is to go to a collector friend of mine (who I have actually spoken to about this) who would be up to trying to finish my "life's work" ( 27_laughing.gif ) of finishing the run. If and when he ever does I have asked him to have my family and my GF come over and see the full run.

The other stuff (and there is a LOT of other stuff) will go to that same collector and with the help of another collector (which reminds me that I should probably speak to him soon smile.gif )anything they want they can just about have (maybe my thoughts would change if my books were worth a decent amount, but they are not) and the rest to be sold with the proceeds going to my estate.

I trust these friends to take care of me and to treat my family in my death as well as they have treated me in life. flowerred.gif

Moving right along, if I finished my collecting in my lifetime I would keep the comics for my appreciation. Especially if my cost basis is very low. However, I do plan on selling some of my books at a later age if no one else in my family has an interest and if my collecting preferences change.

Another thing - I have already talked to my GF about a prenup that includes a stipulation with my comics. Luckily my GF and I have both seen too many lives become exceptionally more difficult financially due to a divorce. Murph0's analogy was a great one about life insurance. AK, I do completely agree with you about how younger girls aren't into the whole pre-nup but more mature girls are. Give it time I guess?

DAM

It's interesting how many people here think that their family would keep the comics rather than sell them. I wonder if this is wishful thinking or if a lot of people are from comic-book collecting families?

I assume that mine would sell the books, and with ebay, they don't even need to know how much they are worth. Just put the minimum bid at $1.00 and they will probably sell for their market value. Maybe with super-expensive books, you'd want to go with Heritage or some other method, but ebay works for most.

It's a good idea to write instructions on how to post on ebay, scan books, etc. I've thought of doing this myself and need to take care of it...good topic.

I have also left written instructions that if indeed no one on the board sets up a memorial thread after I am dead, then Chuck R. is to be contacted and asked to inspect the collection for sale. The collection will be stored in a small, airtight broom closet in my basement. Once Chuck steps inside, the door is to be slammed shut and locked with three deadbolts.

Then the rats will be released.

The very....hungry....rats.

I've already started a long box apiece for my two daughters, and there is, and only will be HG raw books(Marvel and DC) in them. I plan on educating them later on how to preserve, and how to sell, and to whom to sell. My wife knows that the collection has significant monetary value, and that an auction house is her way to go as far as liquidation. It would be great that if my collection would be talked about in OS or similar puplication long after my passing. Also, if Chuckles were ever to get a hold of my P & J (materially speaking) I will haunt his store(s) into submission. Don't F**K with the Curspectre!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

It's interesting how many people here think that their family would keep the comics rather than sell them. I wonder if this is wishful thinking or if a lot of people are from comic-book collecting families?

I think they have watched "Comic Book Villians" too many times!

Timely

It's interesting how many people here think that their family would keep the comics rather than sell them. I wonder if this is wishful thinking or...

Or nothing. We all hate to think of our kin selling off our prized comics, before our corpse has even cooled. 893whatthe.gif

So we make up fantasies about our family members caring for these books the way we do, as it helped us sleep at night. Of course, we all realize that the comic books are gone the day after the funeral, and then it's shopping time!!

I keep hearing the tired ol' phrase "Why slab 'em unless you're going to sell?"

Well, this thread answers that: liquidity, expedience & peace of mind.

When I got back into comics a couple years ago, I concluded right away that CGCing my "personal-never-gonna-sell" set was best for the future, both near & distant. If financial disaster strikes without warning, either I or my wife can easily move my books for the best price in the quickest way.

"But Rick, now that they're entombed in plastic... you can't read them EVER again!" 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I read them one last time before I submit them. And then there are TPBs. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Plus, conditioning the missus is a must. Initially, her plan was to "throw them out"...period. So every time I sell one for over $100, I make sure she knows about it (Hulk 181 7.5---IM/Subby #1 9.6---Flash #137 VF-, etc). Now it's gotten to the point where she comes to me at least once a month wanting to know if "I sold another big book?" Job done. smirk.gif

I'm currently at 84 JLAs CGCd at 8.0-9.6. Should complete in...5 years? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Rick

And finally, if the time comes when you've met your collecting goals,

"Ayy, there's the rub!"

You never 'meet your goals' because when you do fill in the last book you needed, you have already started in on some new collecting goal!! And theres always UPGRADING a HG collection. That can never be finished!!

And finally, if the time comes when you've met your collecting goals,

"Ayy, there's the rub!"

You never 'meet your goals' because when you do fill in the last book you needed, you have already started in on some new collecting goal!! And theres always UPGRADING a HG collection. That can never be finished!!

SO TRUE!!

I thought I was done collecting back issues once I had all of the Silver Age appearances of Silver Surfer (that's only about 25 books). Little did I comprehend at the time that those 25 issues were just the START of the collection (approximately 4,000 back issues later and I'm still going strong). insane.gif

I've made arrangements with the Red Cross to have my collection airlifted to Iraq and dropped from a military plane on the major cities throughout the country. Hopefully, the Air Force yahoos will have the sense to drop the comics individually, not in boxes which weigh 15-20 lbs apiece. The whole idea is to improve relations, not exacerbate the prevailing tension. Of course, if one of those mylars takes out some farmers eye, it might get ugly anyway...

Actually, my collection will go to my daughter, who is 10 and has a reasonable appreciation for comics books and understands to some degree that condition equates closely to value. I have a close friend who's an avid collector as well, so I'm sure he'd help with advice and guidance as needed.

lol, love it darth.

I think as far as my collection is concerned, Ill sell it through heritage comics so I can [!@#%^&^] away my collections worth on their s.o.b. seller fees and so that buyers will actually have to pay more for my collection because of their s.o.b. buyers fees. That way only they win because after all, they suck as consignors in my opinion. sign-rantpost.gif893blahblah.gif