• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Gaming console failure rates...360 vs. PS3 vs. Wii

44 posts in this topic

The Red Ring has totally turned me off on getting a 360.

I think that failure rate is criminal. How can they produce such a crappy product?(crappy in a technical/hardware sense)

I'll give you Xbox users this.. you sure are devoted to your product. If the console gave me that many problems I'd switch over.

Since the PS1 I've always been a Sony man. The PS2 and so far my PS3 have been the picture of reliability. I've used both consoles for the dvd and blu ray player respectively and on a daily basis.

Free cost for Sony online.. can't go wrong.

Is Halo really that good cuz I gotta tell you Killzone 2 is super sweet

I still play Halo because it is so easy to find games online. A few friends have the game so we'll get online and have fun for a few hours. Killzone maybe a great game but I don't know anyone that has the game and I have no idea how good the online is. For me online play is key the better that is the happier I am. True Sony's is free but I still believe Live is better and that is why I will not switch.

Now I liked KZ2 but as a single player game and online game, Halo is superior.

I've waffled on and off for over a year about getting a 360 mainly to play Halo and stream netflix but I just can bring myself to do it.

to me, not really, kz2 is great, especially the mp (up to 114hrs?) that is the game i play every night after the wife goes to bed. corrinth crossing is the best mp map ever.

j

to me, not really, kz2 is great, especially the mp (up to 114hrs?) that is the game i play every night after the wife goes to bed. corrinth crossing is the best mp map ever.

j

add me to your friends list on Sony. I'm a KZ2 junkie, same screen name there.

drakeprimeone

j

add me to your friends list on Sony. I'm a KZ2 junkie, same screen name there.

drakeprimeone

will do, my tag is junkenstein

j

Is there even such thing as an "old" XBOX360?

yep, they are on the 3rd or 4th generation processor now, so yeah there are old xbox 360s vs not so old 360s.

Seems I always hear about them getting the RROD

you heard right!

-slym

j

I had to send my 60gb Ps3 back, it didnt fail but it had some HDMI issue where blu-rays had all these weird graphical defects and the colors in games had weird banding problems. So I had to send it back. The new one is working fine however.

As far as games the only real games on the 360 I wanted was Bioshock and Mass Effect and I got Bioshock eventually for the Ps3. Exclusives on the Ps3 are good and I think it has the advantage in games now.

I got the 360 about a year ago just to play the latest Halo...havent had any major hang-ups with it yet :wishluck:

Spend a bit of $$ on a cooling fan. Well worth the investment.

I agree, i know 3 other people + me that bought the fans and none of us has had an issue.

Had a 360 since launch - first ring of death was after warranty expired so paid to have it fixed - them when MS extended the warranties they sent me a check - about 9 months later - red ring number 2 - it now sits as a decorative brick next to my PS3 and Wii

I feel really lucky reading this thread. I have a launch 360 that has never been replaced or repaired. Now, I have had the RROD a couple of times, which did result in panic. But both times I just took the HDD off of it, popped it back on, and it started working again. And honestly, my particular box gets played with great regularity. (Playing even more than ever right now, actually.)

I was thinking about trading it in towards a new one so that I could connect via an HDMI cable to my tv since I only have 1 component input on it and I'm tired of changing cords back and forth to connect the XBox or the Cable Box. Perhaps I should just deal with that and keep my currently well performing 360. Of course, would be nice to get true 1080p, which you can't get through component connection. (It says it's doing it, but it's really rendering in 1080i that way.) Hmmm

Either way, I do love my 360. I haven't seen much in the way of games on the PS3 that I actually want. So even though it performs better, I doubt I'd really use it. Might get one down the road someday for Blu Rays, but at this point, can probably get a similar Blu Ray player for around $100 less than a PS3...

-Rob-

Honestly, have had (and still use) my original Playstation w/ NO worries there either -- 11+ yrs. strong! :grin:

I still have my original PlayStation as well but mine only works upside down now. Its been well played and well over heated over the years. lol Good Times Good Times! (thumbs u

call me old fashioned, but to even have a term called "failure rates" in today's home video game market is just sad. The whole point of a gaming console is to treat it like a dependable appliance...

Granted the hardware is more complex to power the ever more intricate software...but c'mon...

And the reason why I will never have a Microsoft gaming console in my house. Sony should make the PS3 even better...my son has paid for TWO xbox consoles due to ring of death issues...meanwhile both his PS3 and mine continue humming along.

Damn...I love my 360. I haven't had any issues with it and I've had it for more then 2 years already.

I thought the failures wouldve been alot closer to PS3. I had no idea PS3 was doing this well. hm

I'm sure it's a bit worse...just a result of the survey. The MS numbers seem reasonable based on what I hear from others who have one.

Not to get off topic or anything, but does anyone here play NCAA on the XBox 360? I've always loved this game and will be buying it next week. If anyone's up for a match, let me know (I'm always the CSU Rams and I suck, so maybe you'll win? (shrug) )

Somewhat coincidentally (but only somewhat), my XBox just RROD'ed today. It's barely 18 months old.

My only question is this:

What games should I get for the PS3 I'll be buying next week?

Somewhat coincidentally (but only somewhat), my XBox just RROD'ed today. It's barely 18 months old.

My only question is this:

What games should I get for the PS3 I'll be buying next week?

Killzone 2, Resistance (both), Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4 (has about 27 hours of cutscenes)...

j (you get both KZ2 and MGS if you buy the new bundle)