• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Gaming console failure rates...360 vs. PS3 vs. Wii

44 posts in this topic

Damn...I love my 360. I haven't had any issues with it and I've had it for more then 2 years already.

I thought the failures wouldve been alot closer to PS3. I had no idea PS3 was doing this well. hm

I don't play that much....Sometimes I don't turn it on for a month or so. Maybe this will prolong its life.

I would think that would definitely play into a systems longevity. Many gamers play for hours and hours on their system every single day. I'm more like you. I love my PS3 and will buy a new game for it every so often...but then never find the time to actually play it.

Most of my games are still sealed in their original shrink wrap. doh!

I got one of the launch 360s and I had to send it in twice, once with the red ring and the second time with a video issue.

No big deal since I knew the red ring woulds show up sooner or later, it was a build issue and it was going to happen. The video issue was unexpected. Even with the problems I still have no desire for a PS3 or a Wii. Halo isn't on the PS3 and even with the upgrades the PS3 online still does not compare to Xbox Live.

Halo has certainly been a great franchise for the 360 crowd, but it can't compare to some of the more recent fare, such as Killzone 2. And Xbox live does have a leg up on Sony's online service and from what I can gather, it is better. However, Xbox live has had the benefit of of an additional year of development on it, while the PS3 online service benefits from being completely free with no monthly charges.

But I'm sure that kind of back and forth can be carried on for weeks by both sides without a clear winner and wasn't really what this poll was about. The sheer number of 360 consoles needing repairs...multiple times...is staggering. If it was simply a build issue, you'd think they could get it corrected during the first repair and the number of subsequent repairs would decrease dramatically. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I didn't realize Wii and PS3 failure rates were that high.

I also didn't think the 360 rates were that low. I know 10 people with 360s and they've all had at least 1 replacement so I figured 100% failure was just the norm.

I don't play that much....Sometimes I don't turn it on for a month or so. Maybe this will prolong its life.

I would think that would definitely play into a systems longevity. Many gamers play for hours and hours on their system every single day. I'm more like you. I love my PS3 and will buy a new game for it every so often...but then never find the time to actually play it.

Most of my games are still sealed in their original shrink wrap. doh!

Same here, I have a stack of games still in the wrapper... probably about 2 grand worth. doh!

95% of my game time is on the 360 since it launched. I've had a PS3 since it launched also but I seldom use it. My lauch XBOX 360 lasted 2 years, and I received a free replacement from Microsoft within ten days of shipping it to them. I then bought an Elite and it lasted about a year and a half but I received a free replacement for that one also. I now have 2 XBOXs in different rooms and just swap the hard drive depending on where I want to play.

As long as Microsoft replaces them I could care less. My PS3 just sits there and I hardly use it. I'm sure if I played as much on the PS3 as I do XBOX the PS3 would be broken by now.

IMO XBOX live is far superior to Sony's version and the games seem better.

I didn't realize Wii and PS3 failure rates were that high.

I also didn't think the 360 rates were that low. I know 10 people with 360s and they've all had at least 1 replacement so I figured 100% failure was just the norm.

100% failure rate? Man, that is as bad as Microsoft Windows products. :tonofbricks:

I've had the red circle of death and now have a cooling fan on the back of my replacement 360. No problems so far. :wishluck:

Changing game systems is expensive if you have a fair number of games for the old system.

I got the 360 about a year ago just to play the latest Halo...havent had any major hang-ups with it yet :wishluck:

Halo has certainly been a great franchise for the 360 crowd, but it can't compare to some of the more recent fare, such as Killzone 2. And Xbox live does have a leg up on Sony's online service and from what I can gather, it is better. However, Xbox live has had the benefit of of an additional year of development on it, while the PS3 online service benefits from being completely free with no monthly charges.

But I'm sure that kind of back and forth can be carried on for weeks by both sides without a clear winner and wasn't really what this poll was about. The sheer number of 360 consoles needing repairs...multiple times...is staggering. If it was simply a build issue, you'd think they could get it corrected during the first repair and the number of subsequent repairs would decrease dramatically. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I got the first Xbox to play Halo and to get Xbox Live so until Halo is dead and the turn off the lights to Xbox Live I see no reason to get a PS3.

I thought the new units had new bigger heat sinks and fixed the red ring problem? (shrug) Friend at work got an Xbox for his son last summer and has not had an issue.

I'll give you Xbox users this.. you sure are devoted to your product. If the console gave me that many problems I'd switch over.

Since the PS1 I've always been a Sony man. The PS2 and so far my PS3 have been the picture of reliability. I've used both consoles for the dvd and blu ray player respectively and on a daily basis.

Free cost for Sony online.. can't go wrong.

Is Halo really that good cuz I gotta tell you Killzone 2 is super sweet