• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR is now in The Registry!

83 posts in this topic

The price on the 15 wasn't bad. I was more or less talking about the 3 and 10. Both prices seemed high to me, but I'm not an FF collector.

The #10 was high. That's the highest price I've seen on a 9.2 by at least $1000, and the QP wasn't that great either.

I can understand the Doom cover garnering attention, but # 15? It mystifies me. 893frustrated.gif

Because you almost never find it in 9.0 or better. In three years, I've seen two 9.0s, two 9.2s, and one 9.4 for sale, period. And since two of those were within the last month, that means it showed up once a year before now.

In three years, I've seen two 9.0s, two 9.2s, and one 9.4 for sale, period. And since two of those were within the last month, that means it showed up once a year before now.

Yep. Tough book. I don't remember this many nice FFs being available at any one time in the past. Looks like the insane prices are finally forcing some copies out of collections. The fact that they are being snatched up without much thought or deliberation seems to indicate a pretty healthy market.

good point. And it makes a lot of sense. And if you follow that logic, eventually we come to a time when the only people who will argue that the multiples we now see are valid will be the sellers....buyers will be far less willing to shell out multiples for imperceptable improvements in grade just cause the label says so.

I don't think so. Go over to Ebay and look at some graded coins, and the differences between a 65-67 are almost impossible to see, yet the prices are as crazy as the price differences between a CGC 9.4 and 9.8.

So blindly and unquestioningly paying whatever someone whimsically or arbitrarily prices a book at indicates a healthy market? I disagree. Remember the X-men movie and the Spidey movie and all the ups and downs prior to that? I think someone on here was talking about how they paid over $2000 for a Spidey 40 9.4 during the movie- and 2 just sold for $1350 and $1600! What it indicates to me is speculation or desperation or too much money and too little brains. People trying to fill in their slots on the registry and paying stupid money for stuff - makes perfect sense. More copies will turn up and nothing stays hot like that forever - and more likely for very long. When cgc first started I thought it would be rare to see any pre-1970 books over 9.2 so I overpaid on early stuff. Boy was I wrong! How many high grade copies of Spidey 14 are there? There are about 10 for sale right now and none seem to be moving fast. I know FFs and JiM s are harder to find than most books but the collector base is much smaller than Spidey or Hulk due to the tv and movie exposure. I don't think there is a crash coming soon or in the foreseeable future - but nothing is certain so why be foolish with your money? Even the wealthiest people I know like to throw money away! When prices look out of whack to me, i like to ask questions and be patient. How many folks that put ridiculous prices on books can actually explain how they determined the price? When you ask dealers stuff like that, watch how quickly they become sensitive and defensive.

Agree with most of what's been said...the #10 was unusually high, IMO; I'm in the market for one and I didn't even think about bidding. The #3 was a solid buy given the eye appeal and the #15 didn't surprise me at all. I just bought a raw #15 in the hopes of beating the CGC market on that issue; very tough.

Also agree that the big sales recently are encouraging more listings. At least, I hope so. I'd love to see more beautiful issues for sale.

Dan

I think someone on here was talking about how they paid over $2000 for a Spidey 40 9.4 during the movie- and 2 just sold for $1350 and $1600! What it indicates to me is speculation or desperation or too much money and too little brains.

That was me. I paid $2250, but that was very early on, even before the census popped up. It was one of the first high grade books I bought. And I'd be the first to tell you that I overpaid, and that patience would have paid off for me. But hindsight is 20/20, and anyone can play the role of a Monday morning quarterback. It was for my collection, which is where it will stay. Not speculation or desperation. And I only wish I had too much money! It was a beginner's mistake, and one I learned from. In the last few months, I've mostly only picked up raw bronze, as this is a seller's market and not the time to be buying.

FF #1 9.6! That is pretty darn tuff - and way undervalued by the registry. I bet he also has Sauron'r ring of power, the infinity gems, the evil eye, the ultimate nullifyer, the cosmic cube !

In that Scoop article about Tom Brulato, he said that before CGC, he had a chance to get CaptainTripps' FF #1 CGC 9.6 for $25K, but he turned it down because he thought it was too expensive. How much would it sell for today? $100K? $150K? $200K? I know a CGC 9.4 copy went for around $100K in 2002, but prices at that level seem unpredictable; are there ever more than a handful of people willing to pay that much? confused-smiley-013.gif

Wish he'd put up a scan of that puppy! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Brian,

To answer your question, most of the FF's I bought unslabbed over the past 9

years (like the FF 1). The Pacific Coasts & White Mtns I traded for with

already slabbed, non-pedigreed copies. The Pacific Coasts I got throgh trades with

two or three separate collectors. Unfortunately, I didn't get them directly from Robert

Roter before the CGC craze. On many occasions, I traded ASM's to get the PC FF's

because I like the FF run better & knew they'd be harder to get in high grade.

Believe me, I didn't just take a lot of money & buy an FF run. This was the product

of years and years of buying & trading for the best copies I could find.

Doug.

Doug -

Thanks for posting such a great run on the registry. If you ever have the chance to put up pictures of your books, I - and many others, I'm sure - would love to see them. I get excited about silver age FF's in ANY grade, so seeing the best of the best would be a welcome experience.

As I work on my own run, I am heartened by the work you've put in and have re-committed myself to the hunt. Thanks again and congrats on all your hard work!

Dan

Are prices at that level really unpredictable?

I dunno, are they? Some investors and their Spidey #1 9.6 brokers seem to suggest so... gossip.gif

You'd know better than I do since you've been collecting longer and since you hear about more private sales. I'm only going based upon some of the public sales I've seen, although that Spidey #1 probably went for so low because the owner wasn't willing to wait for another deep pocket to come along.

I would say that prices for stuff like that are highly unpredictable. First there are only a handful of people in the entire world that have the money and would be interested. Would it be a cash deal or some trade involved like a lot of these off the record big deals? Are you talking the juice from Heritage added in? From what I have been able to tell over the last 3+ years with cgc is that the market for comics is greatly pushed or hurt by the economy and what is going on, by movies, by hype etc. Right now FF is really hot - along with just about everything else in high grade. It has been a real sellers market since October. How long will the current run last? Not forever. Things will cool down and then heat up again just like they always do. Also there is just a 3 year history of CGC price multiples - we all know high grade copies sold for more than guide - but the cgc multiples are a whole new dimension. Definitely a more unique book than the Spidey 1 9.6 but with any comic book in the $100k range you have a very limited potential market.