• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR is now in The Registry!

83 posts in this topic

Believe me, I didn't just take a lot of money & buy an FF run.

I'll be sure to refer all those Spidey collectors who still doubt that high grade FFs are much more difficult to locate to this thread.

Awesome run by the way. thumbsup2.gif

Truly impressive your accumulation of this and the other titles you've posted. Thanks for sharing them all. acclaim.gif

Dan,

Thanks a lot for the kind words. I do not have a scanner, but I'll probably

need one some day. I really didn't realize that by posting my books I

would get so much interest and requests to see them. I guess with high grade

books comes great responsibility!!

Also, good luck with your FF run. The best part is getting those issues you need to

fill the holes in your collection.

Best,

Doug

Jive,

Thanks for the kudos. It's not that ASM's are so easy to find in high grade,

it's just that FF's are that much tougher. Since Spideys were more popular,

more people bought them and copies have certainly surfaced over the years.

Not so with FF's. Since I figured I would be able to track down the ASM's I was

offering in trade to get the Pacific Coast and some non-PC FF's, I did it without a second thought,

even if the deal was financially more advantageous to the other guy.

To me, it was a no-brainer. Get the high grade FF's any way you can & worry

about filling the new holes in your ASM run later. It worked out pretty well, although

I still need a few ASM's in 9.6 that I traded away (30, 38, 50, 52, 58, 80).

Doug.

Ace,

Thanks for the post. It wouldn't be much fun having a collection if

you couldn't share it or show it to other people who love and collect

what you do. I really need a scanner so the people who wanted to see

some of the books can. Anyway, happy collecting and keep in touch.

Best,

Doug.

Jive,

Thanks for the kudos. It's not that ASM's are so easy to find in high grade,

it's just that FF's are that much tougher. Since Spideys were more popular,

Not so with FF's. Since I figured I would be able to track down the ASM's I was

offering in trade to get the Pacific Coast and some non-PC FF's, I did it without a second thought,

even if the deal was financially more advantageous to the other guy.

To me, it was a no-brainer. Get the high grade FF's any way you can & worry

about filling the new holes in your ASM run later. It worked out pretty well, although

I still need a few ASM's in 9.6 that I traded away (30, 38, 50, 52, 58, 80).

Doug.

I think Spider-mans appeal back then probably did have a small effect on the amount of copies that were kept and not tossed out, but there is a more obvious reason than that why FF's are tougher than ASM....

The age! FF#1 came out in Nov/61 and ASM #1 came out March/63. That is a 16 month difference, and it is critical. Basically every issues of Amazing Spider-man is 16 months behind the Fantastic Four. You cannot compare the rarity of FF#17 to ASM #17. You need to compare FF#17 to ASM #2 since they both came out the same month.

Timely

You need to compare FF#17 to ASM #2 since they both came out the same month.

You're right, there is a large lag in timeframe between comparable issues of the two titles, and with the particular example you cited, there are still more copies of ASM # 2 in 9.0 or better on the Census. (I should note that ASM # 2 is actually a contemporary of FF # 14, not # 17...both 5/63).

The fact is, if you had $200,000 and wanted to assemble a run of either Spidey # 1-20 in 9.2 or better, or FF # 1-20 in 9.2 or better, you'd be mostly done with the Spidey run within a month. A couple calls to Comiclink, Metro, or Bob and you'd be all set....there are a lot of nice Spidey books out there just sitting.

You'd be nowhere near that far along with the FF run.

The fact is, if you had $200,000 and wanted to assemble a run of either Spidey # 1-20 in 9.2 or better, or FF # 1-20 in 9.2 or better, you'd be mostly done with the Spidey run within a month. A couple calls to Comiclink, Metro, or Bob and you'd be all set....there are a lot of nice Spidey books out there just sitting.

You'd be nowhere near that far along with the FF run.

HERE! HERE!

The Fantastic Four is the most important and most difficult high grade run in the Marvel universe. The FF is for the hardcore - Spidey is for the nouveau riche.

Since Spideys were more popular,

Can someone that has one of the CBG indexes verify this.

I was pretty sure that FF outsold Spidey at least until '68 or '69.

(Of course it could be my bad memory acting up again).

Ace,

I really need a scanner so the people who wanted to see

some of the books can.

Doug.

You're in luck ! I'm offering to trade my 3-year-old scanner for your 42-year-old

FF #1 CGC 9.6 !

Hummm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and I'm offering to pick up shipping as well !

Deal ?? insane.gif

Brian,

I like and collect Gold Keys, especially the cool painted covers(Dr. Solar, Phantom, Magnus) and some photo covers from the TV stuff (Star Trek, I Spy, Man Fron UNCLE, Dark Shadows, etc.) I have some high grade Pacific Coast runs on some of the TV titles. I bet these sets will never make it to the Registry, though. They're great Silver Age books and get overlooked.

Doug.

Brian,

I like and collect Gold Keys, especially the cool painted covers(Dr. Solar, Phantom, Magnus) and some photo covers from the TV stuff (Star Trek, I Spy, Man Fron UNCLE, Dark Shadows, etc.) I have some high grade Pacific Coast runs on some of the TV titles. I bet these sets will never make it to the Registry, though. They're great Silver Age books and get overlooked.

Couldn't agree more! I would add Turok, Tarzan and Korak as other examples of great painted covers from the period. Doug, that wouldn't happen to be you that ended up with my Dr Solar 2, 3, 4 and 6, would it?

tth2,

Yep, that was me (through PCEI, of course). I had the Pacific Coast 1 9.6

and wanted to try & complete the run. I wound up getting all the PC's from

1-27, except 24 & 25. It's an awesome run. So undervalued and underappreciated,

in my opinion. These Gold Keys are true Silver Age classics but get unnoticed.

Oh, well. Anyway, thanks for the post. If there are any other PC Gold Keys available,

let me know.

Doug.

tth2,

Yep, that was me (through PCEI, of course). I had the Pacific Coast 1 9.6

and wanted to try & complete the run. I wound up getting all the PC's from

1-27, except 24 & 25. It's an awesome run. So undervalued and underappreciated,

in my opinion. These Gold Keys are true Silver Age classics but get unnoticed.

Oh, well. Anyway, thanks for the post. If there are any other PC Gold Keys available,

let me know.

Doug.

Doug, are you going to the big apple con? You should join us for lunch!

DAM

Doug,

Glad to see they're in good hands. They were sweet books. I knew PCE was buying on behalf of the owner of the PC Solar 1, but of course I didn't know who it was until now. I had no intentions of selling at the time, but for possibly the only time in my collecting life I actually received an offer that I couldn't refuse. And for that, I thank you.

That's quite the PC run that you've managed to re-create. I'm just glad you don't collect DCs...