• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The monthly why you should use CGC instead of PGX thread with PICs

164 posts in this topic

I submitted several books to CGC that had been previously graded by PGX. For a couple reasons, 1. to see how wide a variance there was in grade. 2. PGX resale value is only about 25 to 50% of the value that the same book would be if graded by CGC. I went into this with an open mind, but I can tell you the results for me were astonishing. I've taken pics of the book in it's new CGC holder and then a second pic showing the PGX label over top of the CGC label. Out of all of the books I graded, only TWO came back with the exact same grade, and one of those... Well you'll see. If this thread is repetitive I apologize, but I thought this was interesting. Pictures to follow, I call this the "Good, the bad and the ugly".

Next. Again, not terribly off, though I think CGC is right. Only off by a 1/2 grade. But the page quality went DOWN on this one. Good news on this one, last sale for a 7.0 was 159, last sale for a 7.5 was 379. So THANKS PGX.

P1150658.jpg

That's a tough book!

Next, still in the GOOD zone. Though, again the break was in my favor. As I bought these PGX books for well under GPA for an equivalent graded CGC. PQ was the same. More good news, 6.5 last sale was 135, last sale for 7.0 was 285. So, I'm still going gangbusters.

P1150660.jpg

P1150661.jpg

Comparisons aren't too bad up to this point, the next couple is where things REALLY went off the rails. The next book I had a sick feeling about, when I saw the thread where books were coming back in purple labels. And SPECIFICALLY this book. Swamp Thing 8. And guess what?

P1150667.jpg

P1150668.jpg

I knew what I was going to find, but I still dreaded opening the box...