• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Does anyone see a valley forthcoming for the prices on the stuff below 7.0? The growth is so aggressive we'll be talking about it going from an also ran (which it never deserved to be) to a top-4 silver age key (which I'm not sure it deserves to be, either).

Close to $3K for a 4.0? That's awesome for my copies, but I just don't think it's sustainable.

Does anyone see a valley forthcoming for the prices on the stuff below 7.0? The growth is so aggressive we'll be talking about it going from an also ran (which it never deserved to be) to a top-4 silver age key (which I'm not sure it deserves to be, either).

Close to $3K for a 4.0? That's awesome for my copies, but I just don't think it's sustainable.

Well, 4.0 copies with cream/off white pages are valued $1700-2000. Since this copy has off-white pages, I think it should be valued $2000-2200. But if it sells for above that, then it would be a record price. Showcase 22 has become the second most valuable DC Silver Age in terms of recent sales of 8.0 and under. (thumbs u

Edited by showcase22gr1959

wow, that was large, sorry about that..

Very sharp copy. If there is no other hidden defects..I think it would definitely receive at least a 5.0 grade and possibly a 5.5. The slight water stain, might hold it back from a 5.5. This book is very difficult to score a 6.0. I just love that scan and below Green Lantern welcome you to the club.

showcasecovblack-1.jpg

Well, 4.0 copies with cream/off white pages are valued $1700-2000. Since this copy has off-white pages, I think it should be valued $2000-2200. But if it sells for above that, then it would be a record price. Showcase 22 has become the second most valuable DC Silver Age in terms of recent sales of 8.0 and under. (thumbs u

I'm not saying that this price is aggressively out of whack (high, but not outrageously so) relative to recent sales; rather, I'm saying I outwardly have to wonder if this can continue upwards and onwards undeterred. In terms of selling price over the last year, we're close to tripling the sale price of VGs and up. The question I'm asking is, when does the correction come, and how drastic is it?

I'm not saying that this price is aggressively out of whack (high, but not outrageously so) relative to recent sales; rather, I'm saying I outwardly have to wonder if this can continue upwards and onwards undeterred. In terms of selling price over the last year, we're close to tripling the sale price of VGs and up. The question I'm asking is, when does the correction come, and how drastic is it?

I think for the short term copies 3.5 and under is taking a pause (which is healthy) and copies 6.0+ can still rise in the short term. The movie and the recent GL story lines is the driving forces for this double or you can say "tripling". Copies 2.5-3.5 are still more affordable for most collectors in the $900-$1400. Once Showcase 22 reaches near Showcase 4 levels, then it has definitely peaked. 2c

Edited by showcase22gr1959

We have likely plateaued pricewise for the time being, even in 6.0+ grades, until the Heritage 9.0 copy sets a new price barometer. The Mound City 8.0 did okay, but not outrageous. The big gains have likely already been made on this book, but there should be a small spike again closer to the movie. It will be interesting to see how many copies come onto the market then and how it will affect prices.

Right now it looks like the action is shifting to early GL issues, especially #7, #16, and the first two or three Sinestro covers (#9, #15, and #18). It will be interesting to see how GL #5 does when they cast Hector Hammond. You can still snag nice looking copies for relatively cheap prices.

We have likely plateaued pricewise for the time being, even in 6.0+ grades, until the Heritage 9.0 copy sets a new price barometer. The Mound City 8.0 did okay, but not outrageous. The big gains have likely already been made on this book, but there should be a small spike again closer to the movie. It will be interesting to see how many copies come onto the market then and how it will affect prices.

Right now it looks like the action is shifting to early GL issues, especially #7, #16, and the first two or three Sinestro covers (#9, #15, and #18). It will be interesting to see how GL #5 does when they cast Hector Hammond. You can still snag nice looking copies for relatively cheap prices.

I think that was a terrific price for the 8.0 Mound Copy. If you read this thread around late August and early September (if I recall correctly), I have predicted the Mound Copy to sell around $15k-20k. There were a lot of pessimism of this speculative price, but it still ended selling at almost 20k. This is the second highest auction price for a SC22. I believe many Green Lantern collectors were waiting out to purchase a 9.2 and 9.4 copies of SC22, but it still has not turned up and they are left with a missing piece to their collections. It's like owning a run of high grade Amazing Spiderman, but missing a high grade AF15. (thumbs u

I think the 9.0 will do good in the Heritage sale but I got my catalog yesterday and when you look through that book there is a ton of high grade material. If the 22 gets a really strong price with that type of competition I will be impressed and ready to say it is the number 2 DC silver age book and right there with the big boys of Marvel.

I think that was a terrific price for the 8.0 Mound Copy. If you read this thread around late August and early September (if I recall correctly), I have predicted the Mound Copy to sell around $15k-20k. There were a lot of pessimism of this speculative price, but it still ended selling at almost 20k. This is the second highest auction price for a SC22. I believe many Green Lantern collectors were waiting out to purchase a 9.2 and 9.4 copies of SC22, but it still has not turned up and they are left with a missing piece to their collections. It's like owning a run of high grade Amazing Spiderman, but missing a high grade AF15. (thumbs u

I did not mean to say that it was a bad price by any means, but an outrageous price in my books would have been $25K - $30K. If the book was a nicer copy with pressing potential it probably would have hit that (or a bit higher), I guess.

I did not mean to say that it was a bad price by any means, but an outrageous price in my books would have been $25K - $30K. If the book was a nicer copy with pressing potential it probably would have hit that (or a bit higher), I guess.

I agree at $25k-$30-k is an outrageous price and would have been an overbid. Your right about the Sinestro covers GL which can still be bought fairly cheap. Sinestro is like the Joker for Batman. (thumbs u

Look at the history of other books with the same sudden run up....

TOS 39 , AF 15, Avengers 1 etc. I don't see any major correction on these books.

You're fooling yourself if you think SC 22 will have a drastic correction.

Well, I don't think I'm fooling myself. I think it's just a tremendous stretch to say that what previously was never a top-20 silver age book is going to, almost overnight, vault itself into the top 10 without a slow down or correction.

Hal Jordan's been remarkably popular for a very long time, the Green Lantern modern has been one of the 3 or 4 best ongoings for the better part of 3 years now, and SC 22 has always been impossible to find in great shape. So where's the juice coming from? The movie itself? That scares me.

The "love of the character" growth has been hanging out there way too long for me to assume that's it. The realization that silver age DCs are nearly impossible to find above Fine is nothing new. Growth just for the sake of growth terrifies me, at some point, the helium comes out of the balloon.

Put it this way, I speculated in a few books about a year and a half ago, SC 22 was among them. At the end of the spring, with the movie hype building I tried selling a few copies for what I felt were fair prices and they sat and sat and sat. Now all of a sudden any copy that has both staples attached and no major tears to the cover is going to go for $1K easily? That's almost impossible to comprehend growth when there's really no good reason for it. I guess I'm looking for that "missing piece" because I just can't find it. Hal being popular is nothing new, this book being hard to find is nothing new, DC in general being tough in HG is nothing new, the movie's been out of the bag for at least a year.

TOS 39 , AF 15, Avengers 1 etc. I don't see any major correction on these books.

All of these books have pulled back a bit, though, and you can buy Avengers #1 for close to the pre-run up price now. If SC #22 follows past patterns, the big jump has occurred and will be followed by a lull, then a slower price gain closer to the movie, followed by a small pullback/correction afterwards. If the movie bombs, then it might fall further. Look at SC #4, for example. How easy is that book to move at guide price?

Your right about the Sinestro covers GL which can still be bought fairly cheap. Sinestro is like the Joker for Batman. (thumbs u

Yes, and I was shocked to see the prices that were paid for 8.0 and 8.5 copies of #15 and #18 in the Mound City auction. FWIW, there is a CGC 9.0 OW copy of #15 available right now on a major dealer website for only $400, which is what the Mound City 8.0 went for. :baiting:

They also had a 9.0 #15 W and 9.0 #18 OW (only $295 :o - the Mound City 8.5 went for $600) that are both listed with a sale pending.

All of these books have pulled back a bit, though, and you can buy Avengers #1 for close to the pre-run up price now. If SC #22 follows past patterns, the big jump has occurred and will be followed by a lull, then a slower price gain closer to the movie, followed by a small pullback/correction afterwards. If the movie bombs, then it might fall further. Look at SC #4, for example. How easy is that book to move at guide price?

(thumbs u

Thanks for condensing my thoughts into 4 simple sentences.

My basic question should really be this:

Do you (that's a collective you) think that SC 22 is a top - 5 SA book? If you do, this is just an overdue price correction. If you don't, this is a bubble waiting to pop.

For me, I'm on the fence, I think my top 3 would be:

AF 15

FF 1

Hulk 1 (you want to talk about another book where 8.0 and above just doesn't exist)

And then beyond that it's a tough call for the rest of the top 5. I keep hearing that SC 22 is firmly establishing itself as the #2 SA DC, and I certainly agree with that, it's just I'm not sure that SC 4 belongs in the top 5 either.