• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

I just don't like Jack Kirby's rendition of Spider-Man on the cover of AF15. And was the origin story of Spider-Man from AF15 not reprinted in its entirety in Amazing Spider-Man 1?

???

Wow, I thought he did a great job on AF #15...in fact it's the only time he's ever done a terrific job on a Spidey illustration IMO...personally, I think ASM #1 is the worst rendered cover of all the 1961-1964 Marvel keys.

I just don't like Jack Kirby's rendition of Spider-Man on the cover of AF15. And was the origin story of Spider-Man from AF15 not reprinted in its entirety in Amazing Spider-Man 1?

???

Wow, I thought he did a great job on AF #15...in fact it's the only time he's ever done a terrific job on a Spidey illustration IMO...personally, I think ASM #1 is the worst rendered cover of all the 1961-1964 Marvel keys.

Personally, I would put DD #1 as being the worst rendered of the keys, but that is due to the cover clutter with the small boxes.

Edited by kimik

???

I`m in total agreement with Roy! :o

Anyone notice if all the Showcase 22 hype is spilling over to GL1, and impacting the price for nice copies thereof?

Yes, definitely.

I think it's affecting SC23 and 24 also. Anyway high grade 10cts DC are so rare, they MUST be valuable. It's crazy to see AF15 so expensive when you see the number of copy going around

DC rules :headbang:

GL is my favorite DC character and I'm not trying to belittle the significance of Showcase 22, but I would buy 10 copies of AF15 before I purchase my first Showcase 22. Spidey just has more appeal for me, and there's no substitute because nothing else really satisfies.

I think your board name kind of gives away where your allegiances lie. :baiting:

:cool:

???

I'm not a big Kirby fan, but I think he hit it out of the park with his rendition of Spidey in AF15. Its far nicer than Ditko's unused cover. What do you think about Kirby's Spidey in ASM #8? I think he did a nice job there too.

Anyone notice if all the Showcase 22 hype is spilling over to GL1, and impacting the price for nice copies thereof?

Yes, definitely.

I think it's affecting SC23 and 24 also. Anyway high grade 10cts DC are so rare, they MUST be valuable. It's crazy to see AF15 so expensive when you see the number of copy going around

I think I might test the waters with a 7.0 GL #1 on eBay to see what the current market is. hm

Now where is that GL 1 7.0. :baiting:

I'm not a big Kirby fan, but I think he hit it out of the park with his rendition of Spidey in AF15. Its far nicer than Ditko's unused cover.

Please post the unused Steve Ditko cover if you can. To me Spider-Man just looks awkward on the cover of AF15.

What do you think about Kirby's Spidey in ASM #8? I think he did a nice job there too.

I think it's a lot better than his cover on AF15 but Kirby's Spider-Man still looks too stocky to me. Steve Ditko drew Spider-Man as the gangly teen he was at the time.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

???

lol

Yes, definitely.

I think I might test the waters with a 7.0 GL #1 on eBay to see what the current market is. hm

I will post it to eBay this weekend and see what I can get with a "reasonable" BIN starting price.

Yes, definitely.

I will post it to eBay this weekend and see what I can get with a "reasonable" BIN starting price.

Your copy should draw interest.

???

lol

:ohnoez:

This one happen to be price in means. Did you notice his other books are price out of line and very high. He price the SC22 5.0 out of line with the OSPG and happen to be near FMV.

Yep...saw that.

Old label 5.0 with cream just might be a CR/OW 5.5 and a steal at $3600 hm

Well, if the final price was for an actual sale, then it was a steal at only $3600. lol

The final price was $3700. :gossip:

I'm not a big Kirby fan, but I think he hit it out of the park with his rendition of Spidey in AF15. Its far nicer than Ditko's unused cover.

Please post the unused Steve Ditko cover if you can. To me Spider-Man just looks awkward on the cover of AF15.

Here's a link to Ditko's AF 15 cover: http://www.samruby.com/AmazingFantasy/Large/AmazingFantasy15Alt.jpg

This one happen to be price in means. Did you notice his other books are price out of line and very high. He price the SC22 5.0 out of line with the OSPG and happen to be near FMV.

Yep...saw that.

Old label 5.0 with cream just might be a CR/OW 5.5 and a steal at $3600 hm

Well, if the final price was for an actual sale, then it was a steal at only $3600. lol

The final price was $3700. :gossip:

:ohm

Yes, definitely.

I am going to start it out at $2700 and see what happens. :wishluck:

Yes, definitely.

I am going to start it out at $2700 and see what happens. :wishluck:

That's a good starting point. :wishluck:

What does everyone think about staring the SC22 notable list at 5.0-5.5 since 5.0 is where the begin point of SC22 being hard to find?

Bad idea. I only own a 4.0 now so it should start there. lol