• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,060 posts in this topic

It'll close at around 5k and change ...

Peter, going for the over.

I am not as certain. This is a very fugly 6.0 IMHO. How does a book with that heavy of reading creasing along the spine hit 6.0? The overgrading on it should hurt the price in the end. My 4.5 B&B #28 or old label 4.5 Avengers #4 look more like 6.0s than this copy...........

The stress lines knocked this this SC22 to a 6.0. I wouldn't call it the best 6.0, but I wouldn't call it a 4.5 or 5.0. lol This SC22 has great registration and great right colors. The price of this copy will do just fine.

We will agree to disagree. (thumbs u

There is no way I would call that book raw in hand a 6.0 with all of the heavy spine creasing, the small creases/tears along the top edge, creasing at the bottom, several small stain/smudge spots on both covers, and tanning/start of foxing around the perimeter of the back cover.

It looks like it has been well pressed and dry cleaned to get it to this grade.

I have noticed over the past year that CGC has been way looser than in the past with pressed color breaking creases not affecting grades as much as they used to.

Way back in the beginning of CGC grading when it was nice and tight this SC #22 would not have graded out higher than 4.5/5.0. As a comparison, here is my old label 4.5 Avengers #4.

cgcAvengers%204signed_zpsyybx5srf.jpg

Edited by kimik

It'll close at around 5k and change ...

Peter, going for the over.

I am not as certain. This is a very fugly 6.0 IMHO. How does a book with that heavy of reading creasing along the spine hit 6.0? The overgrading on it should hurt the price in the end. My 4.5 B&B #28 or old label 4.5 Avengers #4 look more like 6.0s than this copy...........

The stress lines knocked this this SC22 to a 6.0. I wouldn't call it the best 6.0, but I wouldn't call it a 4.5 or 5.0. lol This SC22 has great registration and great right colors. The price of this copy will do just fine.

We will agree to disagree. (thumbs u

There is no way I would call that book raw in hand a 6.0 with all of the heavy spine creasing, the small creases/tears along the top edge, creasing at the bottom, several small stain/smudge spots on both covers, and tanning/start of foxing around the perimeter of the back cover.

It looks like it has been well pressed and dry cleaned to get it to this grade.

I have noticed over the past year that CGC has been way looser than in the past with pressed color breaking creases not affecting grades as much as they used to.

Way back in the beginning of CGC grading when it was nice and tight this SC #22 would not have graded out higher than 4.5/5.0. As a comparison, here is my old label 4.5 Avengers #4.

cgcAvengers%204signed_zpsyybx5srf.jpg

From my experience with CGC’s standards and submitting thousands of books, I respectably have to disagree with your assertion on this SC22 6.0 copy. Heritage’s scans are as close as in hand as you can get and I have to give them credit for that over other auction houses scans. Of course as you mention, nothing is better in hand. I suspect if the spine stress lines was going down more (or more flaws already on it) on this SC22’s spine, CGC would have down grade it further to a 5.0, but it did not. The old label Avengers 4 you have presented has a Stan Lee non-authenticated signature. Because of this, CGC have also downgrade it. Do you have a Heritage like scans for the Avengers 4 or the grader's note?

Edited by showcase22gr1959

From my experience with CGC’s standards and submitting thousands of books, I respectably have to disagree with your assertion on this SC22 6.0 copy. Heritage’s scans are as close as in hand as you can get and I have to give them credit for that over other auction houses scans. Of course as you mention, nothing is better in hand. I suspect if the spine stress lines was going down more (or more flaws already on it) on this SC22’s spine, CGC would have down grade it further to a 5.0, but it did not. The old label Avengers 4 you have presented has a Stan Lee non-authenticated signature. Because of this, CGC have also downgrade it. Do you have a Heritage like scans for the Avengers 4 or the grader's note?

I have submitted 1000s of books as well over the years and we will respectfully disagree on the grade of the SC #22. (thumbs u

As far as my Avengers #4, I bought it on Clink last year (or the year before?) because it looked better than 5.0 - 6.0 copies I was looking at snagging instead. It also helped that it ended just a few days after I sold a weaker 4.0 copy for $200 more on eBay than I paid for this one. lol

Edited by kimik

That was me last night. After selling my 4.0 last year, I've missed it since. I've been looking for the right copy, my deal on a higher grade copy fell through, and this copy has superior greens and nice paper. No date stamps and just a clean book. A part of me would still like a higher grade, but I will be happy with this for sure

image_zpsnang7mwl.jpeg

I would of course have liked to pay a little less, but you have to pay for nice presenters!

That was me last night. After selling my 4.0 last year, I've missed it since. I've been looking for the right copy, my deal on a higher grade copy fell through, and this copy has superior greens and nice paper. No date stamps and just a clean book. A part of me would still like a higher grade, but I will be happy with this for sure

image_zpsnang7mwl.jpeg

I would of course have liked to pay a little less, but you have to pay for nice presenters!

Congratulations! It is a pretty nice copy. I am glad it went to a board member.

I also want a higher grade copy before any movie is announced. But it is pretty rare above a 6.0... I'll have to stick to a 6.0-6.5. My current copy is a 4.5. I use to own a 7.0 but sold it for a downgrade and other comics I needed at the time.

image_zpsnang7mwl.jpeg

Congrats on finding your copy. Welcome to the club. I can understand when you sell something, you miss it and want it back. :applause:

Nice! Your 4.0 copy looks better (to me anyway) than that 6.0 in Heritages auction.

I agree. I've had plenty of 4.0s that look better than some 6.0s. But.. When I take them out of the case, I see why one is a 6.0 and the other a 4.0. There are some defects that will push it down. But usually I noticed people don't mind since it just looks nice to display the cover. I personally get the graders notes before a big purchase...

image_zpsnang7mwl.jpeg

Congrats on finding your copy. Welcome to the club. I can understand when you sell something, you miss it and want it back. :applause:

Plus it's an off white copy, that's rare air with this book.

Edited by oakman29

image_zpsnang7mwl.jpeg

Plus it's an off white copy, that's rare air with this book.

Tell me about it. Most silver age DC keys have poor paper quality. I gave up on white pagers for DC silver age.

Thanks fellas. It's one that's been in the back of my mind for quite some time. I agree with many that it presents well for the grade. I have to agree with some that it's soooo tough to find DC keys with nice paper. Anybody have any idea why?

I also think this book is a sleeper. Even if we don't connect the movies to this book, it's one that isn't close to its DC and Marvel comrades as far as price. I know we can't look at SC4, but we could at least recognize that GL is one of the most recognizable DC characters. On my sons shirt (which I'm always jealous of his cool shirts) you find Supes, Bats, Flash, and GL. Those 4 big Dawgs are on everything. What's even better is I just told my wife about the book and she didn't quarrel with me lol!!!!!!!!!!. It's great to be in the club!

So......the fugly 6.0 ended up at $3824 on HA today, which is lower than the last GPA sale a year ago in the same grade. Not a great result, but it looks like bidders shied away due to the weakness of the copy (the fugly gift graded CGC 5.5 B&B #28 suffered the same fate).

Edited by kimik