• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VALPARAISO SPIDEY 55 9.8................SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

272 posts in this topic

cant believe that the 1st 9.8

didnt know that book was so tough in 9.8

I would imagine it still is. Looks like a big spine tick right in the middle of Ock's glasses.

Anyone else think it's strange that all of these books for which a 9.8 was previously so hard to find are all of a sudden popping up?

Yeah, what the hell is up with all these 9.8s popping up with spine tics. That is NOT good for the hobby. If people start to doubt the slabbing process, that'll be chaos for the hobby.

No, it would only be chaos for those who pay massive multiples for top census books.

(thumbs u

If people start to doubt the slabbing process, that'll be chaos for the hobby.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? The funny thing is that the more we've learned about things that raise questions about the integrity of the grading and slabbing process, the more prices rise.

I would attribute this to the "vocal minority" concept. The illusionary numbers game.

If Z amount of high-profile books are discussed for suspicious grading...out of 1 million x Z...during the first 5 years, then 3 x Z get the treatment during the next 5 years (out of another million x Z), the ratio is higher. But still not high enough to warrant skepticism regarding integrity, which would result in a decline in appeal=value for CGC's.

Me personally, it would take a truckload of suspect grading slabs for me to even consider jumping off their bandwagon, and I'm sure I'm part of the silent majority.

My big concern for this hobby/business right now is the ever-growing abyss separating the truly rare books -relatively speaking- from everything else. ASM #55 from 1967 in 9.8 is a perfect example; over $16K for a non-key? Thank you scarcity. The widening gap is unavoidable (check out any other collectible that's been around more than 10 years), but just how bad is it going to get? 9.6 modern slabs that aren't even worth the fees are stinking up ebay more & more every day...as if that were possible!

On my deathbed, I plan to display my complete CGC JLA collection in my home. Then record the destruction of the whole house with the books inside. That should add some true scarcity to the run...? Or at least part of it.

Rick

On my deathbed, I plan to display my complete CGC JLA collection in my home. Then record the destruction of the whole house with the books inside. That should add some true scarcity to the run...? Or at least part of it.

What do you call the destruction of a JLA set?

A good start.

HA! Beat you to it, all you Marvel zombies!!

Love, Rick

just curious - but is the small arrival date considered 'writing' on the cover? Is this the only defect on the entire book (alleged spine tick not included)?

I'd agree writng on the cover to me bounces it down just a notch. Nice book not a 9.8 in my book IMHO. (shrug)

That aside ASM 55 and 56 are favorites of mine in particular 56 with it's newspaper on the cover. :applause:

WEBHEAD

What is going on as well with the "D" in DOC lower left front cover...is that a scratch on the slab...nothing like that on my 9.6... (shrug)

And yeah, that upper right edge is indeed "choppy" for a 9.8...I gotta say straight up my 9.6 beats this copy...

SPIDERMAN55CGC96OW-3.jpg

What is going on as well with the "D" in DOC lower left front cover...is that a scratch on the slab...nothing like that on my 9.6... (shrug)

And yeah, that upper right edge is indeed "choppy" for a 9.8...I gotta say straight up my 9.6 beats this copy...

Perhaps you should try for a resub?

Perhaps you should try for a resub?

hm

Color-breaking spine stress

Choppy production-related right-edge

Writing on the cover

Yup.....definately worth the price paid. meh

Yes, but no SCS.

Yet.

Color-breaking spine stress

Choppy production-related right-edge

Writing on the cover

Yup.....definately worth the price paid. meh

Don't mind me, just muttering my little mantra.

Buy the book, not the case...

Okay, I'm done.

SPIDERMAN55CGC96OW-3.jpg

Without a doubt. That IS the superior book. Judging only by the front cover of course. Missing any pages? lol