• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VALPARAISO SPIDEY 55 9.8................SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

272 posts in this topic

Color-breaking spine stress

Choppy production-related right-edge

Writing on the cover

Yup.....definately worth the price paid. meh

What condition is your copy in?

Back cover bongwater-stained 4.5

What is going on as well with the "D" in DOC lower left front cover...is that a scratch on the slab...

Yes, it's a scratch on the slab. You can tell because the scratch continues past the left edge of the book; if it were on the book it would stop at the edge.

Is the right edge from the top to about a third down just a trick to my eyes?

Nope, no trick of the eyes. It's uneven, a production defect from dull cutting blades. I have a lot of SA Marvels with that same flaw. CGC doesn't count off for it.

Thats pretty common on that issue too. I've seen a lot with that weird cut.

Only front covers get graded now? It doesn't take much of a defect somewhere else to drop a possible 9.8 to a 9.6

With out a doubt the 9.6 is a sweet book, and has a much cleaner open edge then the 9.8, but CGC has never counted against that really. Many, including myself, would choose that 9.6 over the 9.8, (based on the front covers anyway) but what we think doesn't matter since the slab doesn't have our label and we didn't buy it.

That tick on the spine of the 9.8 is also probably amplified by the scan.

What is going on as well with the "D" in DOC lower left front cover...is that a scratch on the slab...nothing like that on my 9.6... (shrug)

And yeah, that upper right edge is indeed "choppy" for a 9.8...I gotta say straight up my 9.6 beats this copy...

SPIDERMAN55CGC96OW-3.jpg

That's a sexy, sexy copy, and at roughly 1/10th the cost of the 9.8, you can't go wrong.

That being said, the buyer plays on a whole other level that us mere mortal collectors could never hope to comprehend.

What is going on as well with the "D" in DOC lower left front cover...is that a scratch on the slab...nothing like that on my 9.6... (shrug)

And yeah, that upper right edge is indeed "choppy" for a 9.8...I gotta say straight up my 9.6 beats this copy...

SPIDERMAN55CGC96OW-3.jpg

That's a sexy, sexy copy, and at roughly 1/10th the cost of the 9.8, you can't go wrong.

That being said, the buyer plays on a whole other level that us mere mortal collectors could never hope to comprehend.

If the buyer is who I think it is then everything is cut and dry. It was purchased for the grade. And if a nicer copy becomes available will likely be upgraded. I can comprehend the game, just cant afford to play it. But we are likely talking about the man who is putting together the sickest Marvel Collection any of us will never see.

On my deathbed, I plan to display my complete CGC JLA collection in my home. Then record the destruction of the whole house with the books inside. That should add some true scarcity to the run...? Or at least part of it.

What do you call the destruction of a JLA set?

A good start.

HA! Beat you to it, all you Marvel zombies!!

Love, Rick

:roflmao:

SPIDERMAN55CGC96OW-3.jpg

Just got off the phone with CGC.

Grading notes on the 9.6 are light spine stresses that break color.

(shrug)

I didn't bother calling for the 9.8.

Can we say that one scanner can also make a book look better than another scanner?

(shrug)

Can we say that one scanner can also make a book look better than another scanner?

Perhaps.

Can I say that the one book sitting in the 9.8 holder isn't worth 10X the price of the other?

Perhaps.

Can I say that the one book sitting in the 9.8 holder isn't worth 10X the price of the other?

Yes, but you would be wrong.

Perhaps.

Yep. But being wrong feels so right.

Perhaps.

As OldGuy would say, "You are on the wrong side of right."

Perhaps.

As OldGuy would say, "You are on the wrong side of right."

Or go fist yourself. (shrug)

Also, is it just me...or does that right edge look choppy? I would just expect a cleaner looking book for this amount of money. Is the right edge from the top to about a third down just a trick to my eyes?

No it isn't just you...imho a 9.8 wouldn't have whatever I'm seeing across the right side. Again, scans can play tricks...

SPIDERMAN55CGC96OW-3.jpg

I'm gonna look at the book closely tonite...the most obvious spine tick on my book, which is basically the only one visible in the scan, is NOT as obtrusive as the tick on the 9.8...just sayin... :baiting:

Just got off the phone with CGC.

Grading notes on the 9.6 are light spine stresses that break color.

(shrug)

I didn't bother calling for the 9.8.

(shrug)

I'm gonna look at the book closely tonite...the most obvious spine tick on my book, which is basically the only one visible in the scan, is NOT as obtrusive as the tick on the 9.8...just sayin... :baiting:

Just went back and looked at the book...the middle spine transverse tick is actually in hand super-miniscule and you have to tilt and tilt the book to even begin to think that it's actually a mark...there is actually a more readily discernable super slight JBC 1/16" tick near the bottom staple...again, most people wouldn't even see it let alone comment on it unless the book was being put forth as an uber copy...the real "problem" is about 3 or 4 little dots of color loss at the very top of the spine that, again, if someone were just selling this book raw might not even be worth a mention...it's even a bit so subtle as to perhaps be wondered if it weren't somewhat production related...

Having said that, it still in my mind begets an interesting discussion. I think, given the opportunity, 9 out of 10 avid ASM collectors holding both these books in hand pick my book...it's just nicer looking and therefore a NICER book...the dots I refer to at the top spine are WAY more subtle than the 9.8's top right edge...

None of this would be worth much bluster to me until someone says hey that book is worth $16.5K and the nicer one's worth $2K...this is the stepping-off-the-gangplank point where, at any given moment in time, we've arrived... :insane:

:gossip: oh BTW...the dots on the top spine don't show up on the scan because they are dead-centered on the spine...

Having said that, it still in my mind begets an interesting discussion. I think, given the opportunity, 9 out of 10 avid ASM collectors holding both these books in hand pick my book...it's just nicer looking and therefore a NICER book...the dots I refer to at the top spine are WAY more subtle than the 9.8's top right edge...

If we're talking about 16.5K vs. 2K, of course. I think this book was sold before it hit the site, and the market for a 16.5K ASM 55 may very well be only person. This wasn't an auction.