• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blackest Night #1

563 posts in this topic

No book where the villain's main weapon is an etch-a-sketch should fetch that much money.

I don't think that GL 29 will move until the seller comes down on the price. Honestly, I think its only worth half what they are asking. (shrug) Alot of those Green Lantern Pacific Coast copies have remained unsold for quite awhile.

Just read Blackest Night #1. (And I passed on the cheap plastic ring, as well.)

In short, I loved it and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

I'm wondering, though, if ultimately, this is a way for DC to bring back to life all the characters they've killed off over the years. What if at the end of the story, when the good guys defeat the black lanterns, they do it in a way that makes all these people alive again? If anyone could do it well, it would be Johns.

I picked up my copies of Blackest Night and BN Tales of the Corps today. The BNToC story giving the history of Blue Lantern Walker was interesting, and the Onyx/compassion Corps was kind of cool.

BN #1 was a great read, and a fairly graphic ending to the Hawkman/Hawkgirl soap opera to boot. I thought that the book was quite a bit darker than anything else that Johns has done - it will be interesting to see if he can pull this off as well as we are all hoping. :wishluck:

I picked up my copies of Blackest Night and BN Tales of the Corps today. The BNToC story giving the history of Blue Lantern Walker was interesting, and the Onyx/compassion Corps was kind of cool.

BN #1 was a great read, and a fairly graphic ending to the Hawkman/Hawkgirl soap opera to boot. I thought that the book was quite a bit darker than anything else that Johns has done - it will be interesting to see if he can pull this off as well as we are all hoping. :wishluck:

I LOVED BN Tales of the Corps.Saint Walker is one of my new favorite characters! :banana:

In regards to the BN storyarc, any ending besides the predictable White Lantern ending would be great.

In regards to the BN storyarc, any ending besides the predictable White Lantern ending would be great.

Yup, but maybe the surprise will be who the White Lantern is. I am curious to see what they do with Sinestro - maybe he "redeems" himself by being the hero at the end?

OK, isn't Doctor Light dead as well........hmmmmm, could he end as a White Lantern......white light etc??? I like the Sinestro angle and I also thought this will be a good way to bring back the fallen of the DCU.

Also, I had this thought, could the Black Lantern be the Bat Man side of BW only, and that is the reason he took BW skull to make it unable for the spirit of BW to interfere or stop him? Perhaps the strictly Bat Man side is border line evil and the BW side keeps him in check and makes Bat Man the effective hero that he has become??? So, could the Black Lantern be BW's Id realeased???

isnt Batman/Bruce Wayne a prisoner somewhere? Is his actual body actually buried in a graveyard? Guess I missed that.

If it is, it explains Alfred taking responsibility for screwing up by allowing his body to be available to bad guys.

I guess I just cant follow these intricate storylines anymore.

OK, isn't Doctor Light dead as well........hmmmmm, could he end as a White Lantern......white light etc??? I like the Sinestro angle and I also thought this will be a good way to bring back the fallen of the DCU.

Also, I had this thought, could the Black Lantern be the Bat Man side of BW only, and that is the reason he took BW skull to make it unable for the spirit of BW to interfere or stop him? Perhaps the strictly Bat Man side is border line evil and the BW side keeps him in check and makes Bat Man the effective hero that he has become??? So, could the Black Lantern be BW's Id realeased???

makes sense in the long run of the dC UNiverse to make Batman (who is always right and uncorruptible and unforgiving of human weakness) to suffer the same fate as Hal Jordan. To be taken over to do evil.

did anyone buy the sketch variant? My LCS was charging 70

$70 is a very good price for that book... it was a 1:250 ratio.

man my comic shop had one but sold it for $300.00 it's just a black&white copy of the regular cover. doh!

I wonder if Chuck has any for sale and at what price? :eek:

isnt Batman/Bruce Wayne a prisoner somewhere? Is his actual body actually buried in a graveyard? Guess I missed that.

If it is, it explains Alfred taking responsibility for screwing up by allowing his body to be available to bad guys.

You get a pass, because it is indeed a paradox-- in the next-to-last Final Crisis, Supes is holding the smoldering Bat-corpse after the run-in with Darkseid. It must be this corpse Alfred buried. But in the final issue of Final Crisis, we saw Bruce Wayne in a cave, back in the time of Anthro. So the likely resolution is a parallel-Earths Batman dead, with "our" Batman returning eventually from the past somehow. zzz

You get a pass, because it is indeed a paradox-- in the next-to-last Final Crisis, Supes is holding the smoldering Bat-corpse after the run-in with Darkseid. It must be this corpse Alfred buried. But in the final issue of Final Crisis, we saw Bruce Wayne in a cave, back in the time of Anthro. So the likely resolution is a parallel-Earths Batman dead, with "our" Batman returning eventually from the past somehow. zzz

hm

Yup, but maybe the surprise will be who the White Lantern is. I am curious to see what they do with Sinestro - maybe he "redeems" himself by being the hero at the end?

Thanks, I never thought about it from this angle.

If Sinestro comes over to the light, what happens to the Sinestro Corps? (shrug)

If Sinestro comes over to the light, what happens to the Sinestro Corps? (shrug)

Mongul Corps?

Mongul Corps?

lol

Didn't the Blue Lanterns say Sinestro is vital to winning the war? You might be on to something.

Mongul Corps?

lol

Didn't the Blue Lanterns say Sinestro is vital to winning the war? You might be on to something.

Yeah, it looks like Mongul is taking over the Yellow Lanterns now. I think it would be kind of neat to see Sinestro "redeemed" and take over the role of the Guardians for the GL Corps.

I was hoping that DC would do a one-shot "prelude" for the Blackest Night that showed what Abin Sur found out/was doing that led up to the whole new Origin and BN storyline. It could also explain what Sinestro knows about the whole deal. My :wishluck: are crossed in the hopes that Johns does this at some point.

2c Hiyo!

A lot of good ideals popping up about the direction this series is going, but I wonder about a few things...

1) From Final Crisis... it is explained that (to an extent) that the Bruce/Batman we all know from Earth-1 is dead, but death by Omega Sanction breeds the chance of a returning Bruce/Batman to Earth-1, though it will be a Bruce/Batman from another Earth (Probably the last of the 52) to replace ours on Earth-1... based on the precedent set by Sunny Sumo.

(IMO: My hope for Frank Miller's series of All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder being designated a Earth and that Bruce/Batman being our replacement for the Batman of Earth-1.)

2) In regards to Blackest Night... There is a 1 million-pound gorilla in the room in the similar relation to the Sinestro Corps and Black Lanterns, that they shared intimately... they both are from the anti-matter universe, and that means the Earth-(Crime Syndicate of America). The Earth's universe for the Crime Syndicate of America has been designated and Ultraman, Owlman, and Wonder Woman are ruling the universe with an iron fist at the expense that Sinestro evolved the corps that was there in that Earth, but took them to Earth-1 to battle his ex-lantern employers.

I know you may be thinking... what about the other lantern corps?

Heres a run-down:

Agent Orange Lantern Corps: Nothing in this origin leads to believe he is not from Earth-1, but is remanned only to certain space-sector.

Alpha Lantern Corps: Though these guys are of the Green Lanterns at heart (That was a pun for you DC readers)and are the "black bags" section of the corps, but they are from Earth-1.

Black Lantern Corps: These corps core lantern and entity is the Anti-Monitor... who is in fact from the anti-matter universe of Earth-(Crime Syndicate of America)! Anyone remember what is there designated Earth in the 52?

Blue Lantern Corps: Is from Earth-1... despite the complex origin that lead to their creation.

Green Lantern Corps: Do not need to go into this corps about how they from Earth-1

Star Sapphire Corps: Do not need to go into this corps about how they from Earth-1

Sinestro Corps: Now we all know Sinestro conquerer/appealed to the Kwardians (or Qwardians, I forget) and took over the corps renaming it. He even hides his lantern in the anti-matter universe.

Violet Lantern Corps: Im sure they are from Earth-1.

(IMO: It seems that in the face of death... fear must be conquered, and whose knows fear intimately? I am hoping that the "1-million pound gorilla" is address by Sinestro Corps returning to anti-matter universe of Earth-?? with the Black Lantern (Probably have to drag William Hand with him too) sealed under his corps protection and plus Sinestro could always appeal to the CSA to help tackle the Black Lanterns... if there ever was a need.)

( :idea: ... hm : New on-going series for DC of Sinestro Corps, CSA, and/or (Earth-??)?)

3) In regards to the other lanterns... I see a society created like the Star Wars' Jedis or New Krypton? Instead of guilds... there would be different divisions of the Lantern Corps. Plus! Instead of just one Green Lantern for each space-sector... there could be 1GL, 1BL, 1SSL, and 1VL for each space-sector, working together! The Alpha Lanterns could be like the religious guild on New Krypton (Few members and have higher authority over other lanterns), but answer to a... Guardian Council (That has a representative of each lantern spectrum)!

So what yah think of this direction?

Some interesting points, but wait too complex. I think that DC wants to leave all of the Crisis/Final Crisis stuff in the dust bins and use BN as a way to correct a lot of the screw ups from FC.

Johns said in the free book that it was meant to be a GL story and he will stick to it, with the other fluff being added in at his employers request (e.g. Batman, Superman and Teen Titans minis).