• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prospective Buy - Your Thoughts?

33 posts in this topic

Guys/Girls,

I have this guy who is selling these books and he wants $500, which is way too outrageous in their condition. He sent me these pics, what do you think would be a reasonable offer to counter the $500, I was thinking at most about $100. I'm only interested in getting them to try to sell them later for a profit.

Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Guys/Girls,

I have this guy who is selling these books and he wants $500, which is way too outrageous in their condition. He sent me these pics, what do you think would be a reasonable offer to counter the $500, I was thinking at most about $100. I'm only interested in getting them to try to sell them later for a profit.

Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Some great titles and lots of #1 issues but they're not in very good shape. I'd say in the $100 to $200 range would be appropriate.

Although $100 might be a good amount to buy them for to flip, I suspect offering only 80% of his asking price won’t fly if he’s not in touch with real world pricing and grading.

he's offering only 20% of the asking price...

(thumbs u

Although $100 might be a good amount to buy them for to flip, I suspect offering only 80% off his asking price won’t fly if he’s not in touch with real world pricing and grading.

he offering only 20% of the asking price...

(thumbs u

fixed that for ya...

Although $100 might be a good amount to buy them for to flip, I suspect offering only 80% off his asking price won’t fly if he’s not in touch with real world pricing and grading.

(thumbs u

fixed that for ya...

yeah if someone offered me $400 for that stack they would be gone

so fast there would be a peeeeel out!

(thumbs u

fixed that for ya...

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

fixed that for ya...

yeah if someone offered me $400 for that stack they would be gone

so fast there would be a peeeeel out!

Yup. Most of those are readers. I'd be shocked if any of those would make Fine. Maybe the IMSM...

Since you were so nice and said "girls" ...I figured I'd try and help.

Just say no thank you, and good luck. Don't bother with an offer. Even $100 is kind of high if you want to resell them and he's going to get insulted if you offer $100.

Good luck:)

At first I thought your offer of $100 would be total A-Holey unreasonable, but then I did the math and it really isn't, at least based on ebay auction results. But honestly, without having that data in front of me, if someone came up to me at a show with that stack of books and wanted $100, I'd be all over that thinking I got a steal, and I'm a cheaparse. Someone less cheap would probably think $150 is a steal. Of course, the real value on this sort of thing might be as a trade for credit with your LCS if you have one with decent stuff. They'll likely be in a position to move those sorts of books at a decent price (the first issues at least) and you might be able to get a credit for stuff you like more, but that they may not care as much about (like some high grade non-key SA or BA book(s)).

Here are some low-end estimates. It is certainly reasonable to think you can probably get $5-$10 more each with a little luck:

The Cap 100 is likely going to get you $20+/-

Hulk 102 should be $25+

Submariner 1 should get you $15, but that book is all over the place.

Iron Man Subbie 1 should get you about $20 (prices are all over for this book)

Those 4 Iron Mans look pretty decent. I'm thinking at least $40 for the group, could be more depending?

Captain Marvel 1 should get you $10, but that one is also all over the place.

Nick Fury 1 should also get you at least $10

I'm not sure of the #s on the stuff on the bottom, but it has got to be at least $10-$15, no?

I would just say "no thank you, we are not close".

If you were close in numbers, then make an offer, but it is just not reasonable to offer 1/5th his asking price and not expect him to be pissed.

Similar to listings on this site, if someone posts something you are interested in and you are somewhat close in numbers, you would make an offer. If you were not at all in same galaxy, you would not make an offer, correct?

I'd respond like this:

"It makes me feel quite awkward to tell you this, but these comics are barely worth $100 in the low grade condition they're in. However, if I were you, I'd probably think that I was just trying to snow you or to falsely lower your expectations so that I can get a sweet deal. It's probably best if we just forget about the deal, as your asking price is way too far away from the actual value."

He'll either eventually agree with you and drop the price a lot, or he'll just go away. Either result is good for you.