• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prospective Buy - Your Thoughts?

33 posts in this topic

Straight eBay value - which is the marketplace for these books - is about $150 total for the stack. If you're looking to buy these books, you're looking at about $80 tops or you're going to be losing money on them.

At first I thought your offer of $100 would be total A-Holey unreasonable, but then I did the math and it really isn't, at least based on ebay auction results. But honestly, without having that data in front of me, if someone came up to me at a show with that stack of books and wanted $100, I'd be all over that thinking I got a steal, and I'm a cheaparse. Someone less cheap would probably think $150 is a steal. Of course, the real value on this sort of thing might be as a trade for credit with your LCS if you have one with decent stuff. They'll likely be in a position to move those sorts of books at a decent price (the first issues at least) and you might be able to get a credit for stuff you like more, but that they may not care as much about (like some high grade non-key SA or BA book(s)).

Here are some low-end estimates. It is certainly reasonable to think you can probably get $5-$10 more each with a little luck:

The Cap 100 is likely going to get you $20+/-

Hulk 102 should be $25+

Submariner 1 should get you $15, but that book is all over the place.

Iron Man Subbie 1 should get you about $20 (prices are all over for this book)

Those 4 Iron Mans look pretty decent. I'm thinking at least $40 for the group, could be more depending?

Captain Marvel 1 should get you $10, but that one is also all over the place.

Nick Fury 1 should also get you at least $10

I'm not sure of the #s on the stuff on the bottom, but it has got to be at least $10-$15, no?

Goes to show us that most Marvels 1968 and up don`t have much value in low or mid-grade. Imagine the disappointment of someone who held these books for 40 years and thats all they get offered,1 Benjamin.

I'd respond like this:

"It makes me feel quite awkward to tell you this, but these comics are barely worth $100 in the low grade condition they're in. However, if I were you, I'd probably think that I was just trying to snow you or to falsely lower your expectations so that I can get a sweet deal. It's probably best if we just forget about the deal, as your asking price is way too far away from the actual value."

He'll either eventually agree with you and drop the price a lot, or he'll just go away. Either result is good for you.

This is exactly the kind of thing I have said in the past and would say again.

I recently picked up 9,000 books and the offer the seller accepted was ten times less than they originally wanted, but it was after an extended, polite conversation like the above.

I'd respond like this:

"It makes me feel quite awkward to tell you this, but these comics are barely worth $100 in the low grade condition they're in. However, if I were you, I'd probably think that I was just trying to snow you or to falsely lower your expectations so that I can get a sweet deal. It's probably best if we just forget about the deal, as your asking price is way too far away from the actual value."

He'll either eventually agree with you and drop the price a lot, or he'll just go away. Either result is good for you.

I recently picked up 9,000 books and the offer the seller accepted was ten times less than they originally wanted, but it was after an extended, polite conversation like the above.

9,000 books - have you read them all yet lol

Or jsut say

" I have done research on the fair market value of these books in this condition, and my estimate is that the total for the lot would be close to 100$. You are free to do research yourself, and I realize that this is a far cry from your original asking price. If you are willing to meet closer to my estimate, I would love to continue the deal further, if not, I wish you luck in your sale"

FWIW, I would pay 20$ for the Cap ;)

I'd respond like this:

9,000 books - have you read them all yet lol

(:

There's definitely some nice books there but, for those grades, $500 is way too much. Try explaining to him that those books are worth a lot less than that. Send him links to sources commonly used by collectors like eBay sales, ComicLink, GPA etc. so he can see the true worth of what he has. It'll then be up to him whether or not he revises his asking price.

It's not worth your effort. Move on without making an offer.
(thumbs u

You beat me to it.

Tell him he won't like your reasonable offer and let his curiosity compel him to ask you for it.

Good ideas there. Hes probably already has his mind made up what he wants. Maybe after he gets a few other offers he'll come back to reality. Leave your number and tell him you have cash if no one else buys. Sometimes you just have to walk.

DRX

I based my estimates based on looking at ebay for 10 minutes. I sometimes forget what these sorts of books are worth in the real world as well. Honestly, I think I saw a Captain Marvel 1 in not much worse shape go for under $10, so that's why I said $10. I was surprised the Cap 100 wasn't doing better, but $20 is about it for a low grade copy. Those decent looking Iron Mans can be tricky, I can't grade them from here, but it's not going to make a huge difference at the end.

$150 selling them on ebay is probably the sure thing amount. You could do better, likely won't do worse (particularly if you have $9.99 or more opening bids). But then again, you'll be coughing up around 10% to ebay and paypal. So yeah, Donut is probably right in that you can't go below $80-$100 without risk. just sort of surprising that this stack wouldn't be worth more.

Or jsut say

" I have done research on the fair market value of these books in this condition, and my estimate is that the total for the lot would be close to 100$. You are free to do research yourself, and I realize that this is a far cry from your original asking price. If you are willing to meet closer to my estimate, I would love to continue the deal further, if not, I wish you luck in your sale"

FWIW, I would pay 20$ for the Cap ;)

Very well put.