• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Portland Maine, Boston, MA, New York City Comic Shops

21 posts in this topic

Heya, Gang.

I got some great advice on shops and restaurants for my last trip to Nashville recently. This time, I'm going to see a buddy in Portland and we are going to NY for 2 days and Boston for a day.

Any reccomendations on Comic Shops, restaurants and must-see tourtisty traps are welcome!

NYC there are plenty. Midtown comics is sweet if you like newer books.

Restaurants are a plenty. Literally thousands. However, I always stay away from Times Square, go to Soho, Midtown, Tribecca. Smaller more eclectic mix.

If you'll have a car, I'd recommend Outer Limits in Waltham, Webhead Enterprises in Wakefield (and maybe Comically Speaking down the street in Reading) and Harrison's in Salem. All good stores, but you'll need to drive.

There's also Bop City/Bedrock in Framingham, and Hub Comics in Somerville, but I believe James said he doesn't have many back issues at the store.

The stores that are in Boston/Cambridge proper (Million Year Picnic, New England Comics) don't have much in the way of back issue stock. Comicopia in Kenmore Square and Newbury Comics down the street nearby do not carry back issues.

thanks for the advice so far, Rich and Ring.

Let's keep it simple. I'm going as a tourist, not a buyer. So, any shops that would just be fun to peruse. Real destination type shops. And yes, we will have a car.

(thumbs u

And forget about recommending restaurants. I don't know what I was thinking, there.

I'm just planning on getting some Maine Lobster, some Boston Clam Chowder, and some stree Pizza from NY and call it a day. lol

In NY Midtown Comics is cool and Jim Hanley's Universe on 4 West 33rd St (Opposite the Empire State Building) is a good stop.

Hey Nate, In NYC make an appointment with Metropolis. Be prepared because they will want to know what you want to see. Lots of cool art and posters on their walls also. Roger's Time Machine is also worth a visit. Have a great time.

If you'll have a car, I'd recommend Outer Limits in Waltham, Webhead Enterprises in Wakefield (and maybe Comically Speaking down the street in Reading) and Harrison's in Salem. All good stores, but you'll need to drive.

There's also Bop City/Bedrock in Framingham, and Hub Comics in Somerville, but I believe James said he doesn't have many back issues at the store.

The stores that are in Boston/Cambridge proper (Million Year Picnic, New England Comics) don't have much in the way of back issue stock. Comicopia in Kenmore Square and Newbury Comics down the street nearby do not carry back issues.

Million Year Picnic :cloud9:

I bought my ASM 129 for .90 from there back in the late 70's.

roger's time machine on 14th street (it is about 100 feet from the subway station for the 1, 2 and 3 lines). it's a second floor shop, so you have to look up.

lots of vintage stuff. roger will work with you on a reasonably fair price. he's not going to give stuff away, but he's not a bad guy. i think i might go there today actually.

oh jeez, there are too many restaurants in NY to even start. what WON'T you eat?

I work in downtown Manhattan and there are a few really cool shops down there. Check out Chameleon Comics, 3 Maiden Lane, NY, NY 10038. St Mark's Comics, 11 St. Mark's Place, NY NY 10003. Forbidden Planet, 840 Broadway/13 Street, NY NY 10003.

As far as food goes, if you like chinese food...Wo Hop in China town is a must!

That's Entertainment in Worcester, MA, but that is a bit of a drive.

If he's taking I-95 to I-395/290 North from New York, it's no problem. Or do you think he'll take I-91 North or I-84 East in Connecticut to the Mass Pike (I-90)? It's not far off the Mass Pike either.

But you're right, if he's already in Boston, it's a bit of a ride south to That's E. Great store, though, lots of back issues. I don't think I've ever seen any slabs for sale there, though (shrug)

That's Entertainment in Worcester, MA, but that is a bit of a drive.

If he's taking I-95 to I-395/290 North from New York, it's no problem. Or do you think he'll take I-91 North or I-84 East in Connecticut to the Mass Pike (I-90)? It's not far off the Mass Pike either.

But you're right, if he's already in Boston, it's a bit of a ride south to That's E. Great store, though, lots of back issues. I don't think I've ever seen any slabs for sale there, though (shrug)

I've never seen one there, been my LCS for 20+ years now. Great store but they haven't been getting much in the way of back issues lately. Discount is not so good for subscribers either. One positive is they don't re-price the back stock so if something goes up in value they will sell it for what the marked price is. I've managed to find quite a few under-priced gems there. Works the other way too, sometimes you see stuff in there marked at mid 90's Wizard prices that you can find in the dollar bins elsewhere.

In NY Midtown Comics is cool and Jim Hanley's Universe on 4 West 33rd St (Opposite the Empire State Building) is a good stop.

Hey Nate, In NYC make an appointment with Metropolis. Be prepared because they will want to know what you want to see. Lots of cool art and posters on their walls also. Roger's Time Machine is also worth a visit. Have a great time.

Be prepared to pay top dollar if you go there

little post trip update

Thur- Travel to Portland

Fri- Boston! Had a great time. Did the tourist thing. Drank a Guiness. Saw the Sights. Ate some clam chowdah. Called the Police about a black man breaking into a professor's house at Cambridge. Hope that worked out okay. Bought Red Socks memorabilia.

Sat-New York! Had a great time. Did the tourist thing. Saw the Statue, Times Square, Empire State Building, Ground Zero, Chinatown, Little Italy. Patience and Fortitude. :cloud9: (my favorite part of the trip) Ate some Chinese and some vendor food. Bought a Rolex from a guy on the street. Couldn't believe the deal I got.

Sun-Philadelphia! Had a great time! (unscheduled-realised we'd rather spend the day in Philly rather than 2 days in NY). Saw the sights. Did the tourist thing. Was in awe being in the room where our country was born (Independence Hall). Ate a cheese steak at Pat's!!!! Hurrah for Food Network. Got one wiz, fries wiz, 2 Pepsi's. hmmmmmm. Didn't buy any trinkets. Did steal an old piece of paper with a bunch of names on it in Independence Hall. Feel kinda bad about it.

Mon-Portland! Had a time! Ate a great meal of lobster, clams, et. al. down on the docks. Slept a lot. Saw the Lighthouse.

Tues-Traveled Home!

some notes- slept in Jersey Sat. night after being in NY all day. Was kept awake all night long by Marriage Party next door. Got maybe two hrs of sleep.

Sun night- 2.5 hr delay going back thru NY made us get home in Portland at 4am.

Newbury Comics in Boston and Portland are cool stores and very conveniently located. I didn't have time to go out of my way to find any other stores. :(

Thanks gang, for all the help. Had a great trip.

Go Red Sox.

on an unrelated note, I-95 was a frigging NIGHTMARE when i went up it last week. We spent most of our time in CT going about 15-20 miles an hour. Turned a 4 1/2 hour trip to Mass into a 6 1/2 hour trip.

on an unrelated note, I-95 was a frigging NIGHTMARE when i went up it last week. We spent most of our time in CT going about 15-20 miles an hour. Turned a 4 1/2 hour trip to Mass into a 6 1/2 hour trip.

no, no. completely related.

:(

little post trip update

Fri- Boston! Had a great time. Did the tourist thing. Drank a Guiness. Saw the Sights. Ate some clam chowdah. Called the Police about a black man breaking into a professor's house at Cambridge. Hope that worked out okay. Bought Red Socks memorabilia.

:insane:

little post trip update

:insane:

1. Blizzard of… ? 78.

2. Newyorkachusetts? Connecticut

3. Drinking fountain? Bubbler

4. What do they ask for at a Packy? ID.

5. Sprinkles or Jimmies? Jimmies!

6. 5 inches of snow? Dusting

7. Manhattan chowder? Never heard of it