• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #601

12 posts in this topic

It's great seeing Gene Colan on Cap again if only for one ish. He had just become the Cap artist when I began buying the title every month nearly 40 years ago, and following Kirby and Steranko was a tough act to follow, but I was quickly a fan - few artists could bring the drama alive the way Gene did. His work on the "easy rider" era of CA still stick with me.

It's not just nostalgia, guys like Colan, Kubert and Severin still have the skills, and continue to be better artists than many of the ones working today.

It's great seeing Gene Colan on Cap again if only for one ish. He had just become the Cap artist when I began buying the title every month nearly 40 years ago, and following Kirby and Steranko was a tough act to follow, but I was quickly a fan - few artists could bring the drama alive the way Gene did. His work on the "easy rider" era of CA still stick with me.

It's not just nostalgia, guys like Colan, Kubert and Severin still have the skills, and continue to be better artists than many of the ones working today.

(thumbs u

#601 is a gorgeous book. The b&w sketch edition looks even better than the colored one.

IMO, Gene's stuff always looks better in B&W. If you ever want to see an example, check out the Marvel Essentials TOD books and compare to the originals. I vastly prefer these to the colorized comics (though it's the exception, rather than the rule for me).

Can't wait to check out 601!

And it features Cap decapitating vampires with his shield - how cool is that! They really should have titled it Captain America's Weird Tales - especially as Colan did the cover to the last issue with that title (though Cap doesn't appear in it).

601 was a masterpiece. Gene Colan's 'painting with a pencil' style is simply gorgeous. The page layouts are superb; your eye naturally drifts from one panel to the next.

With Ed Brubaker gearing his story in Gene's favor I found this to be an enjoyable read and a fantastic piece of eye candy; more so in black & white.

My second fav b&w edition with Wolverine #32 still being my gold medal.

The story was freaking horrible as well, vs Vampires, really???

Jim

You have a problem with Cap battling vampires? Too unbelievable? He should be running around Europe in red white and blue long johns with a flammable android and a dude who can breath underwater and fly with little wings on his ankles, tossing his shield at giant nazi robots instead?

I loved this issue! It was great to see Gene Colan back on not only Cap, but on Vampires too. Big kudos to Ed Brubaker for throwing the undead into this tale! I really need to get a copy of the black and white version, it's now on my list to find. The color version was a good read as far as I'm concerned.

I hat to admit it, but Gene Colan's art is a little off-kilter, particularly the faces and the perspective in the scene at the end with the vampire in the tree. Granted, he's 82 years old and had some health issues, so I don't dwell on it in the least, because, let's face it.....IT'S NEW ART FROM GENE FREAKIN' COLAN!

:banana:

No new ground tread in the story, but a fun read anyhow. Oh, and did I mention.........IT'S NEW ART FROM GENE FREAKIN' COLAN!

:banana:

lol

Well worth your time if you're a fan of Cap or Colan!

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u halfthumbsup.gif (out of five)