• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sorry for being stupid, but what makes a comic valueable?

353 posts in this topic

Investment? Love of the charactor? wanting something no one else has?)

All of this, plus low supply. It starts with love of the character and transforms into competitiveness and/or investment. It also gives us something to do, to hunt for. The thrill of the hunt is exhilirating, especially when we land a big kill. :headbang:

Comics only have value due to perceived supply and demand. Unfortunately, a paper comic has very little intrinsic value except as fire-starter. :o Now where did I put my collection of nm pogs?

Pretty much.

A lot of what we buy doesn't really have much use in the grand scheme of things. Whether it is comics, cards, toys, coins, fine art (paintings, sculptures, pottery) and whatever else humanity values for its perceived value rather than useful value. Why is gold valuable? It's uses are pretty limited, outside of decoration.

Gold has many unique properties, which make it extremely useful in industry and in particular electronics. Comics, on the other hand, are useful for reading and hoarding in long-boxes for bragging rights for nerds :P

Comics only have value due to perceived supply and demand. Unfortunately, a paper comic has very little intrinsic value except as fire-starter. :o Now where did I put my collection of nm pogs?

Pretty much.

A lot of what we buy doesn't really have much use in the grand scheme of things. Whether it is comics, cards, toys, coins, fine art (paintings, sculptures, pottery) and whatever else humanity values for its perceived value rather than useful value. Why is gold valuable? It's uses are pretty limited, outside of decoration.

Gold has many unique properties, which make it extremely useful in industry and in particular electronics. Comics, on the other hand, are useful for reading and hoarding in long-boxes for bragging rights for nerds :P

I don't know. Up until the past few decades the only use gold had was decoration.

It's only since the advent of electronics that this usefulness for gold has been discovered. There were no electronics over previous centuries when wars were waged over gold.

I'd say gold is very much like comics in that it only has value that people put into it. Gold has been considered a form of currency for decades only because people continue to agree to accept it as such.

(shrug)

As long as people continue to put values on comics they will be valuable and the reasons are plenty...visual stimulation, emotional or childhood attachment, investment potential, exclusivity...the reasons can even be compound. There is no right answer. It's only right to the person who values that particular book.

(thumbs u

Why is gold valuable? It's uses are pretty limited, outside of decoration.

:screwy:

Gold is one of the most useful metals on the planet.

True. As is platinum. Silver has taken a bit of a hit demand wise as we move away from the printed photograph, to the digital.

Why is gold valuable? It's uses are pretty limited, outside of decoration.

:screwy:

Gold is one of the most useful metals on the planet.

True. As is platinum. Silver has taken a bit of a hit demand wise as we move away from the printed photograph, to the digital.

Silver has very strong anti bacterial properties that are being used now especially with the onset of all these new transmitted diseases. Many water purification systems now use silver.

I'm unaware of any used for Platinum outside of the auto sector, but mainly because I haven't read up on it.

I wish more forum members would apologize for being stupid.

hm

Oh SNAP, son! :roflmao:

hm

Oh SNAP, son! :roflmao:

Reminds me of a co-worker of mine. We had a great relationship. Used to hurl insults at each other across the shop all the time trying to see who can burn the other in good fun.

One day he turns to me and he has one of those "miner" type lamps mounted on his head. It's basically a flash light with a strap to keep it mounted on the forehead and keep your hands free. I guess he was doing some interior/under dash work and needed the extra light.

Well he turns to me after I fired a comment at him. I must have burned him pretty good as he was all heated.

As he's standing there looking at me he yells out "You know what, you're a real *spooning* insufficiently_thoughtful_person, you know that?" all the while this lamp on his forhead was on strobe and blinking fast enough to cause someone a seizure.

It was a pretty funny moment.

R.

hm

82643.jpg

That's not me being stupid, that's me being AWESOME! :sumo:

I am now owed an apology! :slapfight:

Hey, I think it's awesome too. Just funnin'

(thumbs u

It's more awesome than this.

:eek:

Thor.jpg