• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goldenage Fanzine still being published?

11 posts in this topic

I have been thoroughly enjoying back issues of Comic Book Marketplace, and wondered if it is still being published?

Probably not, so is there another current fanzine that contains good articles on the classic issues and artists as well as market reports?

I think you're reading it right now.

Well, market report-wise, yes, the boards are second to none.

Articles and such, Alter Ego is still the yardstick to use. Also, for fans of horror comics, From the Tomb is also a great 'zine. Beyond that, ... not much being published, even though one has to commend the Comics Journal for the series of older material reprint they've been doing.

Reaching out further afield in terms of continuing 'zines, Blood'n'Thunder is a great pulp 'zine, Hogan's Alley is a great cartoons / strip 'zine, Illustration Mag is a great illustration 'zine ...

and who can tell me what a good classic animated cartoon 'zine is? (shrug)

...and who can tell me what a good classic animated cartoon 'zine is? (shrug)

A magazine? No clue. But there are a couple of good books you might dig Scrooge. (That is if you haven't already read them.)

Before Mickey: The Animated Film, 1898-1928 by Donald Crafton is good,

and Of Mice and Magic by Leonard Maltin is not bad.

I'd also heartily recommend Preston Blair's book to any animation fan. It's a "how to" book that's filled with great drawing.

There's always Tripwire and the pieces being written by our very own Goldust40. (shrug)

Come to our table in the small press area at Comic-Con (S07) and I will show you. Or he will.

A magazine? No clue. But there are a couple of good books you might dig Scrooge. (That is if you haven't already read them.)

I'd also heartily recommend Preston Blair's book to any animation fan. It's a "how to" book that's filled with great drawing.

I have indeed read the Maltin book. It was my first book on animation history and I found it very informative, a perfect in depth introduction (not necessarily contradictory terms) to the subject. For that matter, Maltin's book on OTR, 'The Great American Broadcast: A Celebration of Radio's Golden Age', is also a great intro into that subject, less depth than the cartoon book but full of info and a great way to get to the know the ins and outs of the radio business.

I also have Barrier's Hollywood Cartoons: American Animation in Its Golden Age but haven't read it yet as well as The Illusion of Life by Frank & Ollie.

I'll have to give a look at Blair's books but Crafton's sounds the most intringuing and probably a more fun read now that many of those are accessible on YouTube :D

Thank you for the tip (thumbs u

I have indeed read the Maltin book. It was my first book on animation history and I found it very informative, a perfect in depth introduction (not necessarily contradictory terms) to the subject. For that matter, Maltin's book on OTR, 'The Great American Broadcast: A Celebration of Radio's Golden Age', is also a great intro into that subject, less depth than the cartoon book but full of info and a great way to get to the know the ins and outs of the radio business.

I also have Barrier's Hollywood Cartoons: American Animation in Its Golden Age but haven't read it yet as well as The Illusion of Life by Frank & Ollie.

I'll have to give a look at Blair's books but Crafton's sounds the most intringuing and probably a more fun read now that many of those are accessible on YouTube :D

Highly recommend Frank and Ollie's book, thorough by any definition. Had the thing signed by them some years back when they were on a tour Down Under.

82671.jpg.d3dc24c49890bbec20a0b9c3053f6713.jpg

82672.jpg.772a031a9bd6f09749c5ee2228a9484c.jpg

82673.jpg.a9587034f1960885c9e2f4e1d97ab0d5.jpg

Highly recommend Frank and Ollie's book, thorough by any definition. Had the thing signed by them some years back when they were on a tour Down Under.

82672.jpg

Fantastic :applause:

Oh Yeah! Nice one Duffman.

I'll definitely check it out. The Disney Fantasia book is great too for an in depth look at that film.

...snip... wrote a bunch of his usual weirdness...

Right back atcha brother! (thumbs u

I've got few new books to check out. Thanks man.

I have been thoroughly enjoying back issues of Comic Book Marketplace, and wondered if it is still being published?

Probably not, so is there another current fanzine that contains good articles on the classic issues and artists as well as market reports?

Alter Ego is always a great read. It focuses on creators, publishers, etc.

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=55